Quantcast msi a good company?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default msi a good company?

hi i was wondering if the company msi is good.
    1) Does it have good build quality that will last me years to come?
    2) how is the customer support, in the UK,?

Man Beast

Default Re: msi a good company?

its a so so company not too good but not bad

Desktop: corei7 920, Samsung 1tb 7200 rpm, Asus mobo, gtx480, 6gb ram, 7 ultimate and 28" HannsG LCD
    Acer 4920g T7500, 160gb hdd, 2gb ram, hd2400xt
    sold off all of my gaming laptops

Not a native english speaker so please bear with me

Notebook Consultant

is it compareable to dell?

How's It Made Addict

MSI is still new in terms of notebooks compared to other companies. Dell, HP and other big brands have been in the industry for a while and have a far larger customer base(and therefore budget) than MSI.

It's following Asus in the "we make computer parts and now we make notebook computers" path lol They're probably more comparable to Asus in that department.

Are they that good? Well they're decent in terms of the actual computers they build. The main downside of their notebooks is the keyboard flex(and keyboard display on the 15.4" models). I've heard little else of really wrong nor really recurring problem other than that. I don't really know about their customer support though.

"When I am sad I cut myself...another piece of cake."

I have had only good experience with MSI. I've bought 2 Winds and a ms-1722 chassis. I've also dealt with Customer Service and RMA Department. Everything was quick and painless. No complaints.

Notebook Evangelist

Don't have it, but is doing extensive review. Decided to go with MSI, instead of ASUS. So i think, MSI and asus are like best in price/spec for gaming (you may want to check out clevo, too). Asus seem to have more problems, though. Heating, shutting down. But ASUS has super warranty 3 yrs, 1 yr accidental damage. MSI sucks with 1 year, but seem to have less problems. And as i read, MSI's support usually sucks (read it in at least 5 threads/opinions).

Hope it helps.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Melody View Post
    MSI is still new in terms of notebooks compared to other companies. Dell, HP and other big brands have been in the industry for a while and have a far larger customer base(and therefore budget) than MSI.

It's following Asus in the "we make computer parts and now we make notebook computers" path lol They're probably more comparable to Asus in that department.

Are they that good? Well they're decent in terms of the actual computers they build. The main downside of their notebooks is the keyboard flex(and keyboard display on the 15.4" models). I've heard little else of really wrong nor really recurring problem other than that. I don't really know about their customer support though.
    I'm not really sure about MSi reputation, but let me clear one thing here.

Firstly, Asus is by no means a "we make computer parts and now we make notebook computers" kind of company... They are one of the largest Original Design Manufacturers (ODM) in the planet.

Secondly, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony, Alienware, Compaq and even Apple none of them build their own laptops, they all use one or many ODM (Original Design Manufacturers) to take care of basically all the aspects of the design and manufacture and Asus is one of those ODMs among others like Compal, Quanta, Uniwill, Clevo computers and MSi among others.

Take a look a this interesting read on OEM/ODMs: HERE

Cheers!
    RayanMX
    MSI GT627-218US
    P8600 2.9GHz (OC)
    WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) 15.4"
    NV GeForce 9800M GS 1GB DDR3 (9830 3DMark06 @620/850/1450 w/DOX 182.05)
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    320 SATA HD (7200 RPM)

How's It Made Addict

I don't see how Asus being an ODM doesn't put them on the level I described. ODM means they make the products themselves correct?

So last I checked, Asus DOES make computer parts and they HAVE moved onto making notebooks. I really don't see how any of this contradicts them being an ODM. It just means that now they also sell the products they make to the public instead of only to other companies.

And for the record, they don't build everything from scratch in terms of notebooks, they still purchase CPUs from Intel/AMD and GPUs from ATI/Nvidia.

Notebook Deity

So last I checked, Asus DOES make computer parts and they HAVE moved onto making notebooks. I really don't see how any of this contradicts them being an ODM. It just means that now they also sell the products they make to the public instead of only to other companies.
    He's trying to correct you because ASUS has been manufacturing notebooks for many, many years prior to releasing ones under the ASUS name. The Intel-based Apple Macbooks are built by them, and so are the good majority of the Sony laptops. They didn't just decide to start building notebooks, they decided to start releasing notebooks under their nameplate.

And for the record, they don't build everything from scratch in terms of notebooks, they still purchase CPUs from Intel/AMD and GPUs from ATI/Nvidia.
    You're right, but they still make the PCB for it. Neither ATi or nVidia makes the physical GPU either, that's done by TSMC.
    Last edited by Micaiah; 16th February 2009 at 08:00 PM.
    MSi GT60-2OC Intel Core i7 4700MQ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme SSD | 3GB GDDR5 nVidia Geforce GTX 770M | Windows 7 Professional x64
    32GB Motorola Moto X Developer Edition
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE

How's It Made Addict

Yeah, but my statement was referring to them actually selling the notebooks to the public. Before, they only sold their computers parts to the public and now they have moved on to actually selling the notebooks they make to the open public. That's what I referred to by "we make". I should've written "we sell" sorry >.<

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast