Quantcast Whats so bad about Vista? - Page 10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: Whats so bad about Vista?

Since I was assigned with a HP Pavilion desktop (1GB of RAM/ Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 1.8GHz) running on Vista Home Basic, I would really say that Vista is a resource hog.

I did some Google search on "how to speed-up Vista" and some links proved to be very useful. Common suggestions like "Turn Off Unnecessary Services", "Get rid of Aero/ turn off the "glass transparency" setting", "turn off the animations and other visual effects", "Disable the Sidebar", "Use ReadyBoost", "upgrade your RAM and video card" etc., I did some tests to check if these tips really work. To my surprise it did gave my Vista a big improvement in speed. I did not however resorted to any hardware upgrades.

I think the Vista ReadyBoost is a big help. I used my old Imation flash drive 8GB and it went smoothly.

How to Use ReadyBoost in Windows Vista - wikiHow

Hope this helps.

Vista is so laggy.
    Without great ram/ssd,it is useless.
    I used Vista netbook once (HTC SHIFT),2 days later i sell it.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyman11eleven View Post
    Vista is so laggy.
    Without great ram/ssd,it is useless.
    I used Vista netbook once (HTC SHIFT),2 days later i sell it.
    thats probably because the shift had an anemic 1ghz single core processor. anything other than XP would have been terrible.
    Main Machine: Dell Precision M4600|Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz 3.4GHz Turbo|15.6" FHD WLED|AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro 1GB DDR5|Corsair 8GB DDR3|Intel Soda Creek 310 80GB SSD|WD Scorpio Black 750GB|Webcam and Fingerprint Reader|9 Cell Battery|Intel Centrino 6300 Ultimate
    Runaround Rig: Lenovo Thinkpad X201|Core i5-540M 2.53GHz 3.06GHz Turbo|12.1" WXGA (1280x800) WLED|Corsair 8GB DDR3|Webcam and Fingerprint Reader|6 cell battery|Intel Centrino 6200 Advanced--- Both: Win7pro x64

Sacred Blame

Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    thats probably because the shift had an anemic 1ghz single core processor. anything other than XP would have been terrible.
    Yeah, part of the Vista hate came from the fact that is was running on hardware not powerful enough to run it.

Personally, i never had a problem with Vista post SP1 on my N50. Windows 7 feels snappier overall, but Vista despite being a tad slower doesn't deserve the hate now. At launch, that was another story though.
    Current: Precision M6700¦3720qm¦2x240GB SSD + 256GB mSATA¦32GB DDR3 1600MHz¦Firepro M6000
    Previous: Asus G73Jh-A2¦920xm¦160GB G3 + 7K750¦Chastity vBios¦ICD7 + 0.5mm pads¦Intel 6300
    Secondary: Elitebook 2760p¦2410m¦250GB SSD¦8 GB DDR3¦HD 3000

Notebook Deity

I've been running Vista RTM, Vista SP2, and W7 on the same laptop, all clean installs.
    The BIG differences in terms of speed were between the two Vista versions.
    Not much difference between Vista SP2 and W7.

Notebook Consultant

Most of the complaints were pre SP1, I used it starting with RC, it was buggy as heck until SP1 came out and tamed it down, by SP2 it was rock solid.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by linuxwanabe View Post
    It always made me laugh to see that Vista had a minimum system requirement of 1GB of RAM when it always required about, or slightly more, than 1GB of RAM in ordinary daily use.
    That's because your system probably had a lot more than 1gb of ram. It's just a matter of Vista using the resources available to it. For example, if I run Firefox on my old laptop with a Pentium M and 512mb of ram, at startup it only uses ~70mb. However, on the notebook in my sig Firefox uses around 150mb right off the bat. In short, Vista will use more resources when it's available, all the way up to a point where it's completely satisfied in order to make things as smooth as possible. And when ram is limited, it will scale back a bit. Otherwise weaker systems would get completely overwhelmed before the boot process even completes.
    Sager 8170, 17.3', i7-2720QM, 6970M, 8GB DDR3, Momentus 7200.3 320GB, Scorpio Black 500GB, 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230, IC Diamond

Notebook Enthusiast

I can't say that I had any problems with Vista. But I was very happy to jump onto the Windows 7 Bandwagon back during the beta, I love a lot of the aero features and use them all the time. Mainly snap and peak and some of the others. I also like how the taskbar is organized. Performance was not an issue for me in Vista.

The guy from The Notebook

several years and major service packs later, it's probably OK.

when it was released, there were major issues, mostly having to do with performance for me. some issues with stability.

Notebook Demon

Sounds like most previous Windows releases.