Quantcast NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 219 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Top Vista Tweaks You Can Find! IM ADDING MORE!

+ Rep just for the first tip, that little delay ALWAYS annoyed me since I switched to Vista a few months ago. The faster boot-up tweak is very nice as well. Good job so far, I'm looking forward to some more tweaks!

lol i just did the defrag, and it took me under 5 min.... im going to reboot now and see the results.. and great tips.

on first reboot... much slower but going on what some people have said it will improve...
    Last edited by The Cheat; 9th September 2007 at 02:39 AM.

Notebook Consultant

one last point, the best feature you can use on your desktop is the Vista's sleep. so long as your computer supports S3 sleep mode, it'll shut everything off on the computer except for 2-5 watts so that the RAM retains its data. from sleep to desktop, my computer takes no more than 5 seconds to be fully functional.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by deputy963 View Post
    Here's my contribution:

Open Device Manager. Expand the Disk Drive tree by clicking the "+" sign. Right click on your hard drive and select Properties, which will open a new window. Click the Policies tab at the top. "Enable Write Caching on the Disk" will be checked by default. Also check "Enable Advanced Performance". Click OK. Close Device Manager.
    I'll ditto this post. I've used this, but keep in mind that this is extremely sensitive to forced power off or power outage. I would not use this on a desktop without a battery backup and I would make sure that you are finished messing with your computer.
    XPS M1330
    ETA: 28 Jul
    T7500 2.2GHz 2Gb ram
    200GB 7200 RPM hd
    nVidia 8400M GS 128mb DDR3
    WLED Backlit LCD
    Crimson Red
    2x9 cell batteries
    64-Bit Install

Notebook Evangelist

Mine has been on "Rearranging boot files", "Do not reboot before degfragmation is done" & "cleaning up" at bottom of message for over an hour. Nothing to do with defrag in TM. What should i do?
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400: 14.1" WXGA+ 1400x900 LED | T9600 2.8Ghz | 4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 2GB Turbo Memory | Intel X-25M G2 80GB SSD | ATI 3470 | DVD-RW | 2MP Cam | Vista HP SP2

Advanced Mini Dock:

Samsung 206BW (20" WS) | Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speaker System | Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard | Logitech MX Laser Mouse

Les
    Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Icedout...I have this as well and its my antivirus program (AVG); it may be something similar for you.

Les

Default Submitting tweaks....

I want to thank everyone for the help in this thread but can I ask that any responses with new tweaks get pm'd to me and I will post them in time, giving the author appropriate credit.

The reason for this is because I wouldn't want to see a tweak get entered that isn't necessarily a healthy tweak, one which can't be undone before its too late.

Conversely, I wouldn't want to see a tweak get included that will cause a great deal of discussion before I can explain all sides to the particular tweak.

This would be the case with the Disk Caching Tweak as it is not available to everyone. For many, if Intel Matrix Storage Manager is installed, this tweak will not work. They can check off "Enable Write Caching' and 'Enable Advanced Performance' (photo below) as many times as their little heart desires but, as soon as they exit they are unchecked again by the Manager. Some may start to post thinking their is something wrong with their system when there actually is not.

This is the exact situation in my case yet, my disk performance is the best its ever been; I have attached HDTune results to verify.

This is also the case with RMClock where it is such a controversial fix. On one side, it eliminates the noise yet on the other, I have experienced all versions to significantly reduce battery life and we don't quite know the long term effects of preventing our systems from entering low power sleep modes.

PS. Having written this, I still want to encourage discussion and response about any of the tweaks that I post as this will be the strength of the thread itself. Many will become comfortable with tweaks knowing others have had such success, this being the case with Tweak #2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disk Cache2.JPG   HDTune Results.JPG  
    Last edited by Les; 9th September 2007 at 07:15 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by deputy963 View Post
    Here's my contribution:

Open Device Manager. Expand the Disk Drive tree by clicking the "+" sign. Right click on your hard drive and select Properties, which will open a new window. Click the Policies tab at the top. "Enable Write Caching on the Disk" will be checked by default. Also check "Enable Advanced Performance". Click OK. Close Device Manager.
    is it safe to do this even on a laptop?
    Toshiba Satellite A200-TH7 Notebook (PSAE6C-TH70DC)
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 @ 1.66GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM, 250GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 with 256MB dedicated RAM, Vista Ultimate

Les

I addressed it in my above thread. yes its safe but it may not work if Intel Matrix has been installed.

Notebook Evangelist

Yes, it's safe. As Flamenko stated, there is an issue with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. This would also apply to any software RAID implementation or controller. In that case the option will be grayed out, or will revert to defualt.