Quantcast NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide - Page 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 219 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Back from the dead?
    California The place with the warm weather :D Rank: VIP :D

Default Re: Top Vista Tweaks You Can Find! IM ADDING MORE!

right click, and run as administrator, then defrag and apply the options.

Blah Blah Blah!!!

How much RAM does disabling Indexing save? I really like being able to search for files almost instant, so I don't want to disable unless it makes a big enough(noticeable) improvement.

Notebook Evangelist

The defrag processes ended and I restarted my laptop to see...noticeable improvement but I may go back to having the indexing service enabled.

Les
    Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Tweaks are everyones own preference.

I have never been able to find any negligible search difference with Search on or off. There is, however, more background activity with it enabled which slows system performance in the long run.

Back from the dead?
    California The place with the warm weather :D Rank: VIP :D

i read somewhere, that vista has it's own boot defrag thing, but it only comes on when the cpu/hard drive is idle. Which i'm pretty sure not many people leave their computers on long enough for the defrag to finish. =D and i never knew TuneXP worked with vista.

Notebook Enthusiast

=(((( boot times inreased? it now takes about 100 sec to go from desktop to desktop on restart. 45-50 sec on cold boot.

Les

As you are the only who has experienced this, Im going to bet you did something different. My guess would be that you never opened task manager and alowed it to defrag after it looked like it was complete.

Actually the way you describe is odd because 45 sec is a great start time for Vista. As for your hot reboot, boot it a few times and see what happens...someone stated something similar above then it fixed itself after a cold boot, then hot reset.

And as for the post above that.... it is fully compatible with 32/64 bit. I have received several pms/responses of and average of 35-40 second decrease in boot times. Sev are posted here.
    Last edited by Les; 8th September 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
    How much RAM does disabling Indexing save? I really like being able to search for files almost instant, so I don't want to disable unless it makes a big enough(noticeable) improvement.
    I'm not sure how much RAM is being used by the indexing service, but keep in mind that the indexing service is an idle process, and its behavior can be adjusted on the power management where you can set it to index with higher priority (Performance, or something like that), or lower priority (Power saver).
    Furthermore, the tedious process only occurs once, which is when it's building the database (you can leave it to index overnight when you're not using the computer). Once the indexing database is built, it will not degrade the performance *that* much. Unless you keep changing a large amount of your indexed files, there will be no noticable performance decrease. At least not in mine.
    Therefore, if you do a lot of search, I'd keep the indexing service if I were you.
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 8th September 2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by flamenko View Post
    As you are the only who has experienced this, Im going to bet you did something different. My guess would be that you never opened task manager and alowed it to defrag after it looked like it was complete.

Actually the way you describe is odd because 45 sec is a great start time for Vista. As for your hot reboot, boot it a few times and see what happens...someone stated something similar above then it fixed itself after a cold boot, then hot reset.
    the boot time actually got worse after i booted it a couple of times. i did follow the instructions, but something did happen, i had the same prob as this guy-

Quote Originally Posted by darthsat View Post
    When i do the tunexp tweak, im not sure if it is working correctly. When tuneXP opens, it shows a popup error "Failed to get data for 'Start'". The program opens anyway. When I click ultrafast boot, it goes through the progress bar, and then a popup comes up saying not to restart until defrag finishes. But once I click ok on that, it just goes back to the main window of TuneXP and doesnt do anything. I check the processes, and there are no new processes running.
    so what i did was just wait for the two processes to go away and waited another 30 min before i restarted. i found it odd that tunexp never said it finished or anything, but nothing was going on. i didnt hear the hard drive moving, and both cores were'nt doing anything. im defragging my hard drive w/ vista atm to see if it changes anything.
    ASUS G1S-A1| Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz| 2x2 GB Ram 667 Mhz| Nvidia Geforge 8600M GT GDDR3 256MB| 160 GB 7200rpm| default clock speeds| 174.93 Nvidia driver| 3D Mark 06- 4007| Vista Home Premium SP1

Les

Read the whole post. This was darthsats final result:

"Edit : Finished defragging. So all in all, these 2 tweaks lowered my power-on to fully loaded vista from 1min 7seconds down to 55seconds. Not bad."

So you are not in the same boat.

To clarify...

1. "Failed to get Data to Start" occurs when the initial installation gave you the opportunity to select C drive and you never highlighted and selected. It doesnt matter in any case.

2. When it finishes, the program defragments in the background. You have to open Task manager and wait until defrag.exe and NTFSDfrg.exe finish and dissappear.
    I know the system doesnt tell you this so it is confusing but, nevertheless, thats how it works.

You are the only pers that has had this occur that I know of and not been able to figure it out. Sorry.

Page 7 of 219 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast