Quantcast Whats the best Linux download available

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Whats the best Linux download available

I am interested in trying out the lunix operating system however, when I began looking around I was amazed to see how many downloads are available. does any one have an opinion on whats the best lunix operating system around.
    Last edited by toolmaster; 24th October 2006 at 02:08 AM.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Whats the best Lunix download available

It's linux first off, and it all depends on what you want to do. I don't have much linux experience but have used Ubuntu before, which seems to be the best recommendation for those just starting out.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Notebook Consultant

sorry my spelling has never been the best.(working on it though) I am looking for a operrating system that can run without to much work but, as I get more acustomed to it I could become more involved. esentualy somthing to get my feet wet, without destroying my computer.
    Last edited by toolmaster; 24th October 2006 at 02:15 AM.

Notebook Consultant

I second the recommendation for Ubuntu, but if you are coming from the Windows world, you may be happiest with the Kubuntu version. This is what I use, despite having more than twelve years of experience (and a kernel contribution), so it's certainly good enough for experienced users as well. http://kubuntu.org/

There'll be a new version of Kubuntu out later this month. What I recommend, though, is starting with Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS. The LTS stands for "long-term support" and is a good place to start. Some computers, particularly those with cutting-edge chipsets, have problems with 6.06, though. If you can't get it to install or if it installs but then refuses to boot, check out 6.10 once that is released. This has better support for more cutting-edge hardware.

Whichever distribution you choose, MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR ESSENTIAL WINDOWS FILES before you try installing. I haven't had a Linux install hose my Windows partition unless I went out of my way to screw things up but this is always a possibility.
    ASUS Z96J from MilestonePC, 2048 megs DDR2-667, T2600 2.16 Ghz Core Duo, 100 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HD, Intel Wireless card. Runs Kubuntu Linux 6.10.

Blah Blah Blah!!!

I curently use Ubuntu as my Linux OS, but Looking at the Photos of Kubuntu BETA, I might end up installing that over Ubuntu.

Notebook Consultant

I am looking at geting a Asus w3j or a dell XPS M1210, do you think that Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS would run on them or would i have to wait for 6.10 version

Notebook Consultant

This is a report of Ubuntu 6.06 running on the Dell:
    http://www-igm.univ-mlv.fr/~vnozick/...OnLaptops.html

This contains a reference from someone running Ubuntu on the w3j:
    Linux on Asus W3j
    ASUS Z96J from MilestonePC, 2048 megs DDR2-667, T2600 2.16 Ghz Core Duo, 100 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HD, Intel Wireless card. Runs Kubuntu Linux 6.10.

Linux geek con rat flail!

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
    I curently use Ubuntu as my Linux OS, but Looking at the Photos of Kubuntu BETA, I might end up installing that over Ubuntu.
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

You don't need to install it over Ubuntu. You can have both on the same machine.
    HP Envy 15 | Win7x64 | i5-540M | Radeon 5830 1GB | 6GB DDR3-1066 | 256GB Crucial M225 SSD | Matte 15.6" 1920x1080
    Get your answers here!
    Answers: $5
    Good Answers: $10
    Correct Answers: $20
    Well-researched Answers complete with reference: time and materials
    Dumb looks are still free

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by yamla View Post
    This is a report of Ubuntu 6.06 running on the Dell:
    http://www-igm.univ-mlv.fr/~vnozick/...OnLaptops.html

This contains a reference from someone running Ubuntu on the w3j:
    Linux on Asus W3j
    Thanks for the links yamla. I was wondering what you guys think the advanteges of runing linux are over windows. Is it more secure, easier to navigate, more intuitive or is it just more customizable.

Notebook Enthusiast

I agree that Ubtunu is a good way to go. If you would like to try linux and see what it is like try a Live-cd version of Ubuntu or Knoppix. These can run off of a CD and do not install on your system unless you wish to install it. Live versions will run slow and files must be savedto floppy not the disk drive. They are a good way to get your feet wet without messing up your system. I am currently running a tri boot on my laptop of XP media center, Vista and Ubtuntu 6.06 "Drapper Drake"
    Asus G73JH-BST7 120 gig SSD, i7-740, 640GB

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast