Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009)

Printable View

Show 50 post(s) from this thread on one page
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  • 16th September 2009, 09:31 PM
    theZoid
    Re: Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009)
    I'm sure this guide will be EPIC like the other one...good job, I'm looking at that same machine myself. Let us how how your temps treat you.
  • 16th September 2009, 09:52 PM
    ALLurGroceries
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I'm sure this guide will be EPIC like the other one...good job, I'm looking at that same machine myself. Let us how how your temps treat you.

I hope it doesn't get too epic... I have a feeling it will though. There's a lot of hairy stuff I haven't worked through yet. GPU idles around 57-62C with powermizer enabled. Still waiting to get a decent battery estimate.

Edit: Did a seriously heavy edit to the first post and this post to clean it all up -- it's starting to look like a howto guide now :)
  • 18th September 2009, 10:18 AM
    comrade_commissar7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLurGroceries View Post
    I hope it doesn't get too epic... I have a feeling it will though. There's a lot of hairy stuff I haven't worked through yet. GPU idles around 57-62C with powermizer enabled. Still waiting to get a decent battery estimate.

Edit: Did a seriously heavy edit to the first post and this post to clean it all up -- it's starting to look like a howto guide now :)

-what about the HD's temp?
  • 18th September 2009, 04:27 PM
    ALLurGroceries
    Quote:

Originally Posted by comrade_commissar7 View Post
    -what about the HD's temp?

HD runs around 34C, here's the rest:
    Code:

temp1:      +33.0C                                   
    temp2:      +33.0C                                   
    temp3:      +31.5C                                   
    temp4:      +34.8C                                   
    temp5:      +54.5C                                 
    temp7:      +48.5C                                                                 
    temp14:      +53.8C                                   
    temp15:      +44.8C                                                             
    temp19:      +31.0C                                   
    temp20:      +39.0C

• 20th September 2009, 02:10 PM
    Vinyard
    That's pretty complicated for me but it's a really good guide. Is it OK if I link this guide on another forum?
  • 20th September 2009, 02:30 PM
    ALLurGroceries
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyard View Post
    That's pretty complicated for me but it's a really good guide. Is it OK if I link this guide on another forum?

Yeah absolutely please link to it :)

Any feedback is appreciated, this howto is just getting started.

Edit: Added some more info to the guide. Still more to come.

Edit 2: Updated howto for 2.6.31. I had posted a youtube vid last night but it is outdated with this update so I deleted it. I'll upload a new one when I have some time.

Edit 3: Updated howto with new NVIDIA drivers and some new info about backlight brightness. Added kernel config (not cut down yet, pretty bloated but safe).

Edit 4: Fixed: I said to select 2.6.30 in the boot menu when I had updated the guide for .31.1. Also changed 2.6.31 to 2.6.31.1 in the wireless section to match.

Edit 5: Added rc kernel section and updated the wireless section to make sure b43 isn't conflicting with the broadcom sta module (b43 locked up my system once -- don't want it to happen to anyone else). Also made some minor corrections and linked to a post on Ubuntu forums concerning ALSA. Note that 2.6.32-rc1 is the same as rc2 because of the Makefile, it will keep the rc1 source location but uname -r will say rc2. Thank Linus for that one ;)

Edit 6: Update for 2.6.31.3 and 2.6.32-rc4.
  • 12th October 2009, 08:28 PM
    prol91
    what abt installing arch linux?
  • 12th October 2009, 10:26 PM
    ALLurGroceries
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prol91 View Post
    what abt installing arch linux?

I run Debian so I couldn't tell ya... I did a quick search and found nothing pertaining to the MBP5,5 on Arch Linux forums... maybe someone else can comment.
  • 13th October 2009, 09:23 AM
    prol91
    hmm okay, i guess ill just install karmic beta, im only worried abt the battery life and the temperatures
  • Show 50 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast