Quantcast Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009) - Page 4

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009)

Does the notebook get hot? Or is it just warm?

Quote Originally Posted by graycolor View Post
    Does the notebook get hot? Or is it just warm?
    Most of the time it runs cool. It will get warm after extended periods, but you can control the fan manually if it gets too hot.

Edit: Moved what I posted here into the howto. See the Fan control section.

Also moved the backlight pommed.conf tweak to the howto.

Updated the howto for 2.6.32-rc6. Also uploaded a new config for 2.6.31.5.

Edit 2: How to stop the terribly annoying volume adjustment sound... This will be in the next revision of the guide. Edit /etc/pommed.conf
    Code:
    # Audio support
    audio {
    	# Use amixer or alsamixer/alsamixergui to determine the sound card
    	# and the mixer elements to use here.

# sound card to use
    	card = "default"
    	# initial volume [80] (0 - 100%, -1 to disable)
    	init = -1
    	# step value (1 - 50%)
    	step = 10
    	# beep on volume change
    	beep = no
    Last edited by ALLurGroceries; 4th November 2009 at 12:28 PM.

I've completed the installation now, and have a few comments and questions.

First -- everything works! I had some trouble upgrading to sid, just like others in the thread. On my second attempt I didn't install anything from tasksel when I ran the installation. Instead, I ran tasksel and installed desktop, laptop etc *after* the upgrade to sid. This made the installation process much shorter, and I also didn't encounter any problems with the gnome installation.

I've got a wierd problem though. The wl module won't work if the ssb module is loaded into the kernel. But for some reason I can't seem to blacklist it! I add it to the blacklist, but still it gets loaded. I have to modprobe -r both ssb and wl, and then modprobe wl again, for wireless to work. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a question about grub. Do I dare do the grub-legacy-update, or should I keep the grub chainloading? All the configuration dialogs nag about mbr, and I'm afraid I'll wipe something out that should remain intact. I'm very far from being tech savvy, so I can't say I really understand how mbr works on the mbp in relation to mac os x. Advice much appreciated!

Anyway -- I'm sure I'll have other questions eventually . Thanks a lot for a great guide!

/hcm

I'm running grub-efi-amd64 with rEFIt now. Works great!

For ssb loading, make sure there is a 'blacklist ssb' line in your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and then run update-initramfs -ut. If that doesn't work let me know

I also installed just the base system from the netinst, I should probably mention this in the guide since there is heavy development going on and the gnome dependencies tend to be broken more than not.

Thanks for the comments!

The sound setup seemd to go well, until the also force-reload, which shows a host of errors:

$ sudo alsa force-reload
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/chris/.gvfs
    Output information may be incomplete.
    Terminating processes: 2095lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/chris/.gvfs
    Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc).
    Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-cirrus snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-allocFATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/acore/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_device (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    (failed).

Is there anything additional that needs to be done with the wireless to "activate" it? Your setup instructions seemed to have ran flawlessly for me, and the "Hardware Drivers" shows that the "Broadcom STA wireless driver" is installed and active, but network manager doesn't seem to show any wireless interface.

You've got to be using pulseaudio, on Ubuntu? Stop it and then try again.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop
    or

Code:
    sudo killall pulseaudio
    I can't help you with a wireless problem without more info. Make sure the ssb and b43 modules aren't in your lsmod for starters.

@ALLurGroceries

Thanks! I think that did it. I'm confused why no one bothered to include that important detail in the howto. I also took the initiative to disable the pulseaudio service, and enable the alsa service.

Now if only I could figure out my wireless...

I wrote the howto for debian so thats why that detail for ubuntu isnt in the guide. On my next revision I will add it.

For the wireless post the output of sudo lsmod, there may be conflicting modules.

The original guide I read had me disable the bcm kernel module, and enable the b43 and ssd modules, which supposedly replace it. I fixed my wireless problem by not doing that, since b43 and ssd aren't entirely perfect.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast