Quantcast 6-cell or 9-cell battery?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default 6-cell or 9-cell battery?

Should I order the 6-cell or 9-cell battery for a Z61M? The 9-cell is only $30-40 more, but is it an eyesore sticking out the back? If it's going to look ridiculous, I'd prefer a slightly shorter battery life.

Anyone had both? Can you comment on looks/life differences?

Thanks!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: 6-cell or 9-cell battery?

Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Should I order the 6-cell or 9-cell battery for a Z61M? The 9-cell is only $30-40 more, but is it an eyesore sticking out the back? If it's going to look ridiculous, I'd prefer a slightly shorter battery life.

Anyone had both? Can you comment on looks/life differences?

Thanks!
    I have an R51, and the 9 cell battery looks fine, and nearly doubles my battery life (from just over 2 to just under 4 hours). I'd say go for it if you'll be spending any amount of time away from a plug
    Thinkpad T61p: 15" WUXGA, C2D T9300 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR2-667, 160GB 7200rpm hdd, DVD+RW, Quadro 570M 512MB, Intel 802.11n, Windows 7 Professional x64

Notebook Enthusiast

I have a 9 cell on my R60 and love it. I also get around 4 hours off the charge. It's not too bulky to be an inconvenience...
    R60 - 14.1 SXGA+ - T2400 - 2GB 667 - 80GB HD 5400 - X1300 - Viewsonic VX2235WM

Notebook Consultant

I have the 9 cell on my T60. IBM makes it look good, so you don't need to worry about it. I can get about 4.5 hours on my T60 with the screen brightness all of the way down.
    Current notebooks:
    IBM T60
    T5500 C2D, 1 gig DDR2-533, 100 gig 5400 RPM, 9 cell, DVD-RW, 14.1" SVGA+ ATI X1400

Notebook Deity

Teran...is that coming out of hibernate or from off? Something I've found is that for some reason when on battery there is more wattage drain coming out of hibernate than if the computer had been shut off. I ask because I can get about 6.5 hours on my T60 (6 before I upgraded to bios 2.03) with everything set to get the best battery life with a 9-cell (and yes I have the 15" screen) and even with wireless on using the net I still get about 5.5 hours (note, I edit the hours. The old ones I put understated how long the battery lasts a little because I didn't have much experience with the new bios yet).
    Last edited by marlinspike; 26th November 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Notebook Geek

whats the weight difference?

Notebook Deity

I forgot to add, go for the 9-cell. I have a T60 with a 15" screen, which to me is slightly more mobile than a 15.4" widescreen which that z60m has. It's not like these are ultra portables (though, I, like I'm guessing you, do carry mine lots of places even though it's a 15" - on planes, at the library, student union, bookstore, park, diner...the only thing I find it too big for is taking notes in class, though I don't do that anyways, and for that I don't think even a 14" would do, I'd want an X60 tablet for that). The 9 cell does stick out the back, but not like a sore thumb. The nice this is that if gives the back end a curved edge, and if you ever carry around your laptop outside it's case, this is nice (make your hand in the shape you would make if you were holding a closed laptop by it's edge, notice your hand is curved, so the 9-cell fills the hand making it very comfortable to hold at your side). The extra mobility is a god send. With my old laptop (which was worse on battery than T60 would be on a 6 cell, but still I think it's a good example), I only got about 2 hrs of battery, so every time I took my laptop some place I had to bring the power cord. With this thing I have never once needed my power cord when away from my room. With the 6 cell I think you'd get just enough to not need to bring your cord with you places, but it would be close.

ZaZ
    Super Model

There is always the modular battery.

Notebook Consultant

Marlinspike: I use hibernate... Are you actually measuring that much time or are you just going by what Windows says?
    Current notebooks:
    IBM T60
    T5500 C2D, 1 gig DDR2-533, 100 gig 5400 RPM, 9 cell, DVD-RW, 14.1" SVGA+ ATI X1400

Notebook Deity

I'm actually using that much time...but the difference in battery usage coming out of hibernate vs coming out of shut down is enough to account for the difference. Also the latest bios gave me an extra 30 minutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast