Quantcast T540p!!! - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: T540p!!!

Notebook Guru

Default Re: T540p!!!

Doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibmthink View Post
    The GT 730M isnt that weak, considering it is faster than the Quadro 2000M, the fastest GPU used in the W520, and not very far from the Quadro K1100M.
    All things being relative, I suppose. Of concern to me is that the 730M isn't capable of playing the best PC games of 2013 at native resolution. 2014 games aren't going to be any less GPU-intensive, and neither will 2015 games. I'm planning on getting a 14" or 15" laptop that will serve as my main computer (with my smartphone for supplemental computing tasks). I don't own a desktop machine any more because I don't have the luxury of a dedicated computing space. I have no interest in buying two separate laptops (for work and for play), so that means my laptop kinda needs to do both. ThinkPads have the best keyboards (so I can type all day at speed) and they have that great ThinkPoint nubbin for quick navigation, which I absolutely love on my wife's X220. It would be nice if I could get a ThinkPad with a gaming-caliber discrete GPU, like the 780M. The Quadro K2100 is great for workstation use (which I don't need), but isn't the right architecture for gaming, really, so the W540 isn't really a smart solution for me. I will probably get the T540p and live with the limited GPU performance. Getting a Y510 or whatever would be a compromise in the productivity end of computing, which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm going to spend 90+% of my laptop time working on it, not playing. I just wanted my 10% playtime to be immersive with the latest titles..... At least with Haswell and a limited GPU I'll get pretty good battery endurance, which is something no serious gaming laptop can boast. Gotta look on the b right side.....

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatux View Post
    All things being relative, I suppose. Of concern to me is that the 730M isn't capable of playing the best PC games of 2013 at native resolution. 2014 games aren't going to be any less GPU-intensive, and neither will 2015 games. I'm planning on getting a 14" or 15" laptop that will serve as my main computer (with my smartphone for supplemental computing tasks). I don't own a desktop machine any more because I don't have the luxury of a dedicated computing space. I have no interest in buying two separate laptops (for work and for play), so that means my laptop kinda needs to do both. ThinkPads have the best keyboards (so I can type all day at speed) and they have that great ThinkPoint nubbin for quick navigation, which I absolutely love on my wife's X220. It would be nice if I could get a ThinkPad with a gaming-caliber discrete GPU, like the 780M. The Quadro K2100 is great for workstation use (which I don't need), but isn't the right architecture for gaming, really, so the W540 isn't really a smart solution for me. I will probably get the T540p and live with the limited GPU performance. Getting a Y510 or whatever would be a compromise in the productivity end of computing, which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm going to spend 90+% of my laptop time working on it, not playing. I just wanted my 10% playtime to be immersive with the latest titles..... At least with Haswell and a limited GPU I'll get pretty good battery endurance, which is something no serious gaming laptop can boast. Gotta look on the b right side.....
    780M? Wow. The wattage on that beast is like four times that of the 730M, so you'd need a much bigger power brick and most likely a completely revamped cooling system. I personally would have been much happier with anything between a 750M and a 770M, but the 730M isn't too bad.

I'm not a very heavy gamer, but I've been buying Humble Bundles and stuff for years so that I could play them when I get a better laptop (as my current one can't even handle a game as demanding as Aquaria). With the 730M, I'm just concerned I wouldn't even be able to play a game like Minecraft at max settings on 3k HD. I could just decrease the game resolution, but that would bug the heck out of me.

Why can't I just buy a 750M directly from Nvidia or a reseller and put it in a laptop? Why do these people refuse to sell mobile graphics cards directly to consumers? Seriously.

Notebook Deity

I think @Cincinnatux and @ibmthink hit the nail on the head -- the GT730M isn't too bad, but the fact that it does little to futureproof a machine (and barely present-proofs it in some cases), compares favorably only to the W530's two-year old entry-level Quadro GPU, has only 1GB of dedicated RAM and is apparently the "new and un-improved" version with the higher-clocked 64-bit GK208 core rather than the 128-bit GK107 is testament to the fact that it's not too good, either

Then again the T540p is a all-purpose business machine, so expecting it to keep up with cutting-edge gaming or multimedia machines is asking too much. Still, the option of a GT750M in the 'p' T-series machines would have been nice. Heck, even a GT740M or simply offering 2GB of VRAM would have done a little more to make these a clear step above the plain old non-p machines.
    Last edited by pipspeak; 2nd November 2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Thinkpad 570 -> T22 -> T40 -> T43 -> T61 (4:3) -> T400 -> T420 -> T440p

T540p is available to order in the Australian site, so we can get a sense of the prices. Curious when the machine will become available here in the US.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/students/au...-series/t540p/

ThinkPad Deity

The T540p is now available to purchase on Lenovo.com: ThinkPad T540p Business Laptop | Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

More "real-life" pictures on the T540 (found via Google)p: 定位高端配大屏 ThinkPad T540p评测_科技频道_凤凰网

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibmthink View Post
    The T540p is now available to purchase on Lenovo.com: ThinkPad T540p Business Laptop | Lenovo | Lenovo (US) ]
    I note that Crucial already has a page up advertising a 16 GB RAM upgrade kit for the T540p (less than half the cost of upgrading to 16 GB through Lenovo, unsurprisingly). I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of clarity regarding touchscreens, however. In September, they indicated that the default screen would not have touch sensitivity, but that the display upgrades would come with touch. The web site does not reinforce the early claim, and my understanding is that touchscreens have been delayed on the X240, making me wonder if they are also delayed on the T540p. Anyone know?

I was also surprised to see that SSD is not an option straight from Lenovo. Doesn't bother me, since I was planning on installing one separately anyhow, but I am surprised it isn't available from Lenovo. I guess their marketing research suggested that T540p buyers were unlikely to want SSD performance enough to pay?

Notebook Consultant

I was playing with the configuration and you can get this one with a quad core cpu and NO additional gpu... and with the high res screen... that would lead to some interesting performance / battery life options..

hmm
    Lenovo t440p - i7-4800mq 16gb crucial ballistix, sandisk extreme ii 240 and 480gb (in ultrabay) FHD IPS
    Dell M6600 - i7-2720qm 16gb 1600mhz hyper-x memory Samsung 840 pro (256gb) Sandisk Extreme 256gb ssd

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by unferth33 View Post
    I was playing with the configuration and you can get this one with a quad core cpu and NO additional gpu... and with the high res screen... that would lead to some interesting performance / battery life options..

hmm
    I almost did that, but figured I could probably specify integrated video for most of the time and only go dedicated if I really needed to. That way I get battery life most of the time but have the option of kicking it up a bit if need be. It's a pricey upgrade though so I'm rethinking it...

I ordered the quad core, dedicated, 3k display, 802.11ac and wwan. Came out pretty expensive

The PDF page says the FHD is IPS but it did not say that on the order page.

Notebook Guru

No mention of M.2 SSD slot in the configuration, seems odd.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast