Quantcast T60p 15" screen vs MacBook Pro

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default T60p 15" screen vs MacBook Pro

Has anyone compared a 15" T60p (IPS FlexView) screen to an Apple MacBook Pro screen?

The MBP screen is rated at 300 nits and is *very* bright, while the T60p screen is rated at 200 nits. However, many of the pictures I've seen posted on this forum look pretty good on the T60p.

I wanted to see if anyone has seen these two laptops side-by-side to compare the screen, and if they had any pictures of the two next to eachother...

thanks!

Notebook Deity

Default Re: T60p 15" screen vs MacBook Pro

I have not compared those two.
    But i did have the T60 15" Flexview immediately beside another 200-nits rated screen, and although they were rated the same, the FlexView was much brighter (by 2-3 steps which is a lot). I dont understand why, but it was true!

Besides brightness, i think you should consider ghosting. The newer flexviews do not ghost like they did 2-3 years ago, when you scroll full throttle. Do the MacBook Pros have any ghosting?
    ThinkPad X60, CoreDuo 1.83 Ghz, 2GB 667MHz DDR2, Bluetooth
    Ev-DO, Atheros, X6 Multiburner, 2 x 100GB SATA, 8 cell li-on
    (3.46 pounds, 71 cubic inches and 7+ hours on battery )

ThinkPad T60, Core2Duo 2.16 Ghz, 1 GB, 14.1" SXGA+
    128MB X1400, Atheros, Bluetooth, DVD-DL, 9-cell, XPPro

Heavyweights: T43, T42, T41, T23, T21, T20

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    I have not compared those two.
    But i did have the T60 15" Flexview immediately beside another 200-nits rated screen, and although they were rated the same, the FlexView was much brighter (by 2-3 steps which is a lot). I dont understand why, but it was true!

Besides brightness, i think you should consider ghosting. The newer flexviews do not ghost like they did 2-3 years ago, when you scroll full throttle. Do the MacBook Pros have any ghosting?

Thanks for the info. I have not seen a MBP ghost at all, even running some OpenGL screensavers at high enough speeds that I could see the refresh rate of the screen (top of the screen has the old frame, bottom has the new one, or vice versa). The MBP screen is *very* nice...

However, the MBP has a one-button mouse, and puts out enough heat to fry an egg.

ZaZ
    Super Model

The FlexView is the best matte screen I have seen though I have not seen it side by side with a Mac.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZ
    The FlexView is the best matte screen I have seen though I have not seen it side by side with a Mac.
    FlexView is IPS screen with 200 nits. If you want to know what is it - compare the MacBook Pro LCD (this one is 240 nits) with IMac 20” or any Apple Cinema Display – they are IPS screens. The last are definitely brighter then IBM notebooks but you have a starting point.

Notebook Deity

Thing is, nits dont tell the whole story....

I placed a 200762u (14" non flexview 150 nits) beside a 200772u (flexview 200 nits).... and the one with *less* nits actually LOOKED brigher

If you read the t-series reviews from laptop logic (for t-43 i think) you will read a similar observation.

(tho i did prefer the flexview screen nonetheless - brightness isn't everything)

In electronics and everthing, trust your eyes/ears/experience and NOT the technical stats.
    ThinkPad X60, CoreDuo 1.83 Ghz, 2GB 667MHz DDR2, Bluetooth
    Ev-DO, Atheros, X6 Multiburner, 2 x 100GB SATA, 8 cell li-on
    (3.46 pounds, 71 cubic inches and 7+ hours on battery )

ThinkPad T60, Core2Duo 2.16 Ghz, 1 GB, 14.1" SXGA+
    128MB X1400, Atheros, Bluetooth, DVD-DL, 9-cell, XPPro

Heavyweights: T43, T42, T41, T23, T21, T20