Quantcast X220, Windows 8 & UEFI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default X220, Windows 8 & UEFI

Hi everyone,

I've recently did a clean install and seem to be having issues with a UEFI boot only option with my X220.

When I installed Windows 8 last night I had to select 'Both' in the UEFI/Legacy Boot' option in order to boot and do a clean install from the Windows 8 installation DVD.

Now after the Windows 8 install when I select 'UEFI Only' in the UEFI/Legacy Boot option, I get the 'Boot Menu' screen with an option to boot from my SSD and the Windows Boot Manger, however neither of these options work.

The BIOS settings are set to boot to 'Both' with UEFI as the first preference and this seems to be working ok.

Is it possible to have a UEFI only boot option with Windows 8 and my X220?

Thanks

Rambler
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 -- Intel Core i7 2620M -- 8Gb RAM -- Samsung 830 128GB SSD -- Intel HD 3000 -- 12.5" Premium IPS LCD -- Ericsson F5521gw WWAN -- Intel 6250 WiMax -- BT v3.0 -- Integrated 720p Camera -- Series 3 Ultrabase with DVDRW -- Windows 8 Professional x64 -- 4 and 6 Cell Batteries -- 65W and 90W Charger -- BIOS v1.34

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: X220, Windows 8 & UEFI

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've recently did a clean install and seem to be having issues with a UEFI boot only option with my X220.

When I installed Windows 8 last night I had to select 'Both' in the UEFI/Legacy Boot' option in order to boot and do a clean install from the Windows 8 installation DVD.

Now after the Windows 8 install when I select 'UEFI Only' in the UEFI/Legacy Boot option, I get the 'Boot Menu' screen with an option to boot from my SSD and the Windows Boot Manger, however neither of these options work.

The BIOS settings are set to boot to 'Both' with UEFI as the first preference and this seems to be working ok.

Thanks

Rambler
    I have a UEFI only boot with windows 8 on my X220, but I didn't install it from the DVD, I put it on a USB drive (didn't use the official windows 7 tool because you cannot format your drive in GPT with it). Installing from a DVD bypasses that problem though so I'm not sure what your issue is.

Notebook Consultant

The issue is that for some reason my X220 cant boot to any type of device (SSD, DVD or USB) with the boot option set to UEFI only.

My X220 will only boot when 'Both' is selected.

The Boot Menu will display once F12 is pressed however none of the devices will boot when selected.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 -- Intel Core i7 2620M -- 8Gb RAM -- Samsung 830 128GB SSD -- Intel HD 3000 -- 12.5" Premium IPS LCD -- Ericsson F5521gw WWAN -- Intel 6250 WiMax -- BT v3.0 -- Integrated 720p Camera -- Series 3 Ultrabase with DVDRW -- Windows 8 Professional x64 -- 4 and 6 Cell Batteries -- 65W and 90W Charger -- BIOS v1.34

Notebook Consultant

The issue is that for some reason my X220 cant boot to any type of device (SSD, DVD or USB) with the boot option set to UEFI only.

My X220 will only boot when 'Both' is selected.

The Boot Menu will display once F12 is pressed however none of the devices will boot when selected.
    Thanks for asking the question. I am having the same issue.
    ThinkPad x220 - i5 2520, IPS, 8GB Ram, 80GB mSata, 320GB HDD, FPR, Webcam, Bluetooth, Intel 6205 wireless. Still going strong!
    Dell XPS 8500 - Because my x220 does everything well except play games.
    Surface 2, 32GB - This basically subs as my laptop most of the time now!

Notebook Evangelist
    lenovo T420 | i5-2410M | 8GB 1333 | Samsung 830 128GB |500GB (ultrabay) | Win 8.1 Pro

MS Surface Pro 128gb (returned)

Notebook Geek

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Rambler
    Download ISOtoUSB: ISO to USB

Download Windows 8 through the upgrade utility, and save the ISO somewhere.

Run ISOtoUSB, select Windows.iso, and set the format for the memory stick to FAT32 (you can't make the memory stick using the Microsoft utility because that makes an NTFS formatted stick, which UEFI cannot boot)

Set to UEFI only in UEFI/BIOS setup.

Should then boot from the memory stick. I used gparted and did an ATA secure erase to totally wipe my SSD first, then Windows set up the disk using GPT instead of MBR.

Then install. I couldn't boot from the DVD in UEFI mode, but this worked for me.
    Last edited by dbman190; 28th October 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more info

Notebook Consultant

Thanks iphetamine and dbman190. Reps added.

Looks like a USB formatted to FAT32 will work, and explains why media with different file systems dont (DVD-UDF and SSD/USB-NTFS).

Since Im going to reinstall windows 8 over my current Windows 8 installation, does anyone know what process I should follow seeing that the Windows 8 installer will check for a Windows 7 installation prior to installing?

I like the idea of nuking my current installation with gparted and then doing a clean install with UEFI, but it doesnt look like the Windows 8 upgrade installation will allow this.

Notebook Geek

Use Parted magic. How to: Secure Erase your Solid State Drive (SSD) with Parted Magic

Don't do the "advanced secure erase." (a popup after choosing ata secure erase) It doesn't do anything additional and will just put more wear on your drive.

That live cd will only boot from BIOS and not UEFI.

Also you need to edit your registry so you can activate with an upgrade copy. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1724637

Notebook Geek

Also, I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but if anyone can figure out how to get the x220 SD reader working on Win 8, I'd greatly appreciate it. The Lenovo driver doesn't work.

Edit: SOLVED! used this one: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...a_83xw01ww.zip
    Last edited by dbman190; 28th October 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by dbman190 View Post
    Also, I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but if anyone can figure out how to get the x220 SD reader working on Win 8, I'd greatly appreciate it. The Lenovo driver doesn't work.

Edit: SOLVED! used this one: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...a_83xw01ww.zip
    What are you using the beta drivers for? The X220 Driver Matrix has a bunch of windows 8 drivers available, including the SD card reader

Drivers and software - ThinkPad X220 & X220i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast