Quantcast As Rivals Outsource, Lenovo Keeps Production In-House

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default As Rivals Outsource, Lenovo Keeps Production In-House

A good read, thought some here might find it interesting.
    The facility, its equipment and its employees are all part of Lenovo. It is one of eight company-owned factories around the world with three more to be built in China and Brazil. That is a departure from the common industry practice, in which companies from Apple Inc.to Hewlett-Packard Co. increasingly outsource the assembly, and even design, of laptops and other gadgets to contract manufacturers.

Lenovo sees retaining all these functions as a key advantage. "Selling PCs is like selling fresh fruit," says Lenovo Chief Executive Yang Yuanqing. "The speed of innovation is very fast, so you must know how to keep up with the pace, control inventory, to match supply with demand and handle very fast turnover."

This came into play late last year when flooding in Thailand caused a shortage of some types of hard drives for the computer industry. The company had to first battle with other companies to procure more hard drives. But because Lenovo assembles many of its own computers, it was able to quickly shift the mix of products in its pipeline to focus on products for which the hard drives were available, and prioritize products that had higher profit margins, said Gerry Smith, Lenovo's supply chain senior vice president.

FULL ARTICLE: As Rivals Outsource, Lenovo - WSJ.com

Default Re: As Rivals Outsource, Lenovo Keeps Production In-House

Great article, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see a company that actually cares - I've used computers from Apple, Dell, and Hewlett-Packard and nothing touches the ThinkPad in terms of quality (in my opinion).

-

Definitely an interesting behind the scenes read, thanks for sharing. I still hear many people using IBM when they actually mean Lenovo. It's been several years now but in the U.S. it's still an unfamiliar brand name even though they're top three in the world at selling PCs. Tough going to market the brand when it has no name recognition.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk-K16 View Post
    Great article, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see a company that actually cares - I've used computers from Apple, Dell, and Hewlett-Packard and nothing touches the ThinkPad in terms of quality (in my opinion).
    it's not just your opinion, lenovo has been ranked top in reliability,

1. Lenovo/IBM (281)
    2. Toshiba (190)
    3. Samsung (156)
    4. Apple (151)
    5. Asus (126)
    6. HP/Compaq (100)
    7. Dell (68)
    8. Sony (64)
    9. Acer (40)

2012 Computer Reliability Report: Lenovo Most Reliable, Acer Least Reliable, Apple Declined | Connecticut Consumer Advocate Protector Watchdog | Ct Consumer Complaints |Ct consumer Protection | Ct Advocate | Ct Consumer

and the same in 2011

2011 Computer Reliability Reports: Lenovo, Asus On Top | Connecticut Consumer Advocate Protector Watchdog | Ct Consumer Complaints |Ct consumer Protection | Ct Advocate | Ct Consumer

Notebook Enthusiast

I was under the impression Lenovo uses Foxconn and another assembly company for ThinkPads.

I am the walrus

Not the thinkpads...maybe the ideapads. Pretty sure I read somewhere the upcoming Lenovo smartphone was going to be built by foxconn as well
    A desperate man for desperate times

Notebook Guru

FWIW, DELL also builds in house. Its actually doesn't matter where or by whom its built, the key is quality control.
    AS1410-2285: Stock Config with Internal Bluetooth + AR9280 WiFi upgrade

Notebook Guru

PC giant Lenovo rises to challenge Hewlett-Packard in China - Companies & Industries - Morning Whistle - Latest chinese economic, financial, business, political and society news

"Even today, in the villages we use bicycles or donkey trolleys to ship products," said Yang Yuanqing, 48, chairman and chief executive of Lenovo, who once delivered HP computers on a bicycle. His competitors, he added, "don't know how to do business like that."

I want my thinkpad delivered in a donkey too!

I am the walrus

Quote Originally Posted by lucida View Post
    FWIW, DELL also builds in house. Its actually doesn't matter where or by whom its built, the key is quality control.
    That's not true--at least when it comes to laptops. Last I checked, Dell laptops are made by companies like Compal, Quanta and Arima (Inspiron, latitude and alienware, respectively).
    A desperate man for desperate times

drum while you work

My Thinkpad was built by Wistron, as I recall.
    My Devices:
    Lenovo Thinkpad W530
    Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast