Quantcast T430 Owner's Thread - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: T430 Owner's Thread

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: T430 Owner's Thread

^^^ Same terrible quality.

But, why should you care? You always have a large, presumably better display whenever you sit at a desk. (Dell sells 23" and 24" IPS panels at reasonable prices, sometimes with generous discounts.)

Alternatively, there's the T530 with FHD.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Kaso View Post

But, why should you care? You always have a large, presumably better display whenever you sit at a desk. (Dell sells 23" and 24" IPS panels at reasonable prices, sometimes with generous discounts.)

And the X230 with IPS.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kaso View Post

I agree and I actually have a 26" HDTV monitor but it is also not nice to buy a brand new laptop and even pay to upgrade the display to HD+ then end up with terrible quality. Why would Lenovo not offer the FHD or IPS on this model?

The reason I did not get the T530 or W530 this time is that I try to avid the throttling on battery issue (I am not sure if it still happens with the W530 or I it was initially happening on the T520) since they have discrete graphics that is power consuming. I may be wrong on my theory but my experience and lenovo's statement is that dGPU is the major cause of battery throttling and I cannot lie with that anymore as my experience with W520 was terrible because of that.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by XX55XX View Post
    And the X230 with IPS.
    I really wanted to get the X230 but my concern is about the low resolution and the very small bothering palm rest area

Notebook Geek

Default T430 Owner's Thread

i got the T430 to replace my T420 mostly because im a who couldn't wait for something better last summer. With my Dell(s) I had integrated graphics and a desktop to do my gaming on and a backlit keyboard. After seeing the crazy decent NVS 5400m (and my desktop gaming situation changing a bunch) AND the backlit keyboard on the T430, i called the ball.

it was either going to be replacing the T420 system board for one with the NVS 4200m (and buying the appropriate replacement heatsink) for ~$500 or buy a new T430 with the backlit keyboard, even better graphics and sell the T420.

(I obviously chose the T430)

In other news - i chatted with Lenovo sales this morning, and the guy said my order had already been released to manufacturing :O
    Lenovo T430
    Core i5 3320m
    8GB DDR3
    Intel HD 4000 and NVIDIA NVS 5400m 2GB graphics ( yay battery life w/ Optimus?)
    256GB Crucial C300 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by pchome View Post
    I really wanted to get the X230 but my concern is about the low resolution and the very small bothering palm rest area
    ^^I'm coming from the x220 (same IPS display, palmrest length). I found editing documents side by side and researching on LexisNexis or WestLaw cumbersome on the resolution. For the palmrest, I have large hands and found the palmrest an issue - especially when I was forced to use the touchpad/trackpoint (my right wrist would eventually start to cramp). For these reasons, when I was given the option to upgrade to a x230 or T430 - I picked the T430

Question regarding specs, is it only the T430S that gets Thunderbolt w/I7 and RapidCharge? Or is RapidCharge a new standard feature and Thunderbolt a feature of I7 ivy bridge?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by TASL View Post
    ^^I'm coming from the x220 (same IPS display, palmrest length). I found editing documents side by side and researching on LexisNexis or WestLaw cumbersome on the resolution. For the palmrest, I have large hands and found the palmrest an issue - especially when I was forced to use the touchpad/trackpoint (my right wrist would eventually start to cramp). For these reasons, when I was given the option to upgrade to a x230 or T430 - I picked the T430
    This confirms my concern for this one. I would get the T530 with quad core if I know for sure it would not throttle on battery but there is lack of information about this issue even for its ancestor the T520.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by TASL View Post

Question regarding specs, is it only the T430S that gets Thunderbolt w/I7 and RapidCharge? Or is RapidCharge a new standard feature and Thunderbolt a feature of I7 ivy bridge?
    Not sure about RapidCharge, but the S430 and the T430s are the only Thinkpads that are getting Thunderbolt.

Ordered a T430 the morning they were released, did anyone else see the glitch where it was -50 off the price if you elected windows home and business 2010? I checked back the next day and it was +200 the next day. Guess I came at the right time! Order just left Hong Kong...they are coming woot

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by svenghali View Post
    Ordered a T430 the morning they were released, did anyone else see the glitch where it was -50 off the price if you elected windows home and business 2010? I checked back the next day and it was +200 the next day. Guess I came at the right time! Order just left Hong Kong...they are coming woot
    Yeah, I missed that. Could have saved an additional $50 on my T430s! Grr!

But whatever.