Quantcast 6 cell vs 9 cell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default 6 cell vs 9 cell

I just ordered my x220, but now I'm second guessing the 9 cell battery. I was thinking I'd just buy a 4 cell when I need to save weight, but they're a bit pricey, especially if 6 is the perfect compromise.

Is the extra weight and protrusion worth it? I realize it's largely down to personal preference/need but I'd like some opinions. I had a protruding battery previously, and didn't mind it much, but it wasn't an ultralight.

Also, if I placed my order today will changing the battery be a hassle?

Purveyor of Truth

Default Re: 6 cell vs 9 cell

well with my 9 cells, i am getting 10 hours of battery time. For me it is worth every dollars and gram.

Changing the battery takes 10 sec, not a hassle.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

can i haz broadwell?

I'm in the opposite camp... I got my 220 with the 9-Cell and was getting the double digit runtime, but I never really run more than 5 to 6 hours at a time so I switched to the smaller/lighter 6-Cell.

I'm hoping IB can drop power consumption enough for me to get by on the smallest battery...
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Notebook Enthusiast

I usually buy a 6 cell with every machine I buy. I like the lower weight and profile. But I rarely need more than 3 hours of battery life.

Emodicon

Given the small cost difference between the two when configuring, I'd go with the larger 9-cell battery option. The relatively small difference in weight won't make or break the machine for me, while not having the battery time when I need it will.

Notebook Deity

I usually use my machine on AC, but for the times that I don't (carrying it to a friend's house or something), I use it for at least 5 ~ 6 hours. I got the 9 cell with my W520 (mainly because I couldn't select the 6 cell option, and even if I could the price difference was like $15 only) for my haphazard battery usage.

I also spend something like 7 ~ 9 hours in a lecture hall for most days of the week, so I like the fact that I can just take my machine in the morning and have it still running when I get back home.

Lenovo Thinkpad W520
    Intel Core i7 2620M \ NVIDIA Quadro 1000M \ 15.6" HD+ (1600x900) \ DDR3 1333 8GB (2 DIMM) \ 320GB 7200 RPM (Probable upgrade to SSD later) \ Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 \ 9 Cell Battery \ Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Notebook Virtuoso

This isn't a difficult choice. Get the smallest battery that will satisfy your runtime requirement.
    Thinkpad T440s | i7-4600U | FHD | 512GB SSD | 12GB | Intel 7260-AC | FPR | BT | Camera | Win 7 Pro

ZaZ
    Super Model

I never notice or think about the added bulk/weight of the six-cell. In my hands right now I have my X220i with the six-cell and the Dell XPS 13, which is the same weight as the X220 with the four-cell. If I think about it, the X220i does feel a smidge heavier, but they're very close.

The 9 cell is discounted pretty nicely when you order it with your build. Otherwise it's expensive if you decide you wanted it later, unless you buy it on ebay or something.

I ordered with the 9 cell and then ended up buying an extra 6 cell because the 9 makes the unit back-heavy. I use the 9 only when I need it, but it mostly stays in my fridge.

The physical height/weight difference between the 6 and 4 cell is minimal, so I would go with the 6 if that was the choice.

Notebook Consultant

I like my 9-cell despite rarely requiring a full 10 hours without a cord. I don't pay attention to the battery indicator as much as I used to with my old MBP. Now, if I need to go do work on the go for a few hours, I just throw the x220 in the bag without thinking about charging ahead of time. It is a bit heavier, but in all honesty, if someone has trouble lugging around a x220 with a 9-cell in their bag, they need to start doing some weights or something.

EDIT: I am, however, thinking about a second 6-cell battery when I do need marathon mileage.
    ThinkPad x220 - i5 2520, IPS, 8GB Ram, 80GB mSata, 320GB HDD, FPR, Webcam, Bluetooth, Intel 6205 wireless. Still going strong!
    Dell XPS 8500 - Because my x220 does everything well except play games.
    Surface 2, 32GB - This basically subs as my laptop most of the time now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast