Quantcast Cloning X61 To A New Hard Drive

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Cloning X61 To A New Hard Drive

Hello All,

I am going to upgrade my X61's hard drive to a 500GB one.

How to clone the entire files in my old hard drive to the new one? Including Lenovo hidden partition/HPA.

I tried to browsed for information but still could not find the solution which includes cloning the hidden partition.

Is Acronis True Image Home 2012 able to handle this?

Thanks a lot for your help..!

such bacon. wow

Default Re: Cloning X61 To A New Hard Drive

Yes True Image can do this. There should be an option to resize the partitions so you don't end up with a whole bunch of leftover space as a separate partition (unless that is what you really want).

Sager NP8170 (Gaming DTR): i7-2670QM|12GB DDR3|Radeon 6990M|500 GB 7200RPM (Looking for an SSD)|17.3" 1080p|7Ultimate
    Normal laptops R61: T8300|4GB|X3100|X25-M G2 80GB SSD|14" WXGA|7Pro/E6410: i3-330M|4GB|Intel HD Graphics|X25-M G1 80GB SSD|14" WXGA|7Pro
    Dell Latitude E6430 (FDA work laptop): i5-3210M|4GB DDR3|Nvidia Quadro NVS5200M/Intel HD 4000|WD Scorpio Black 320GB|14" 720p LCD|7Enterprise|Lenovo ThinkVision L2251p & D221 WSXGA+
    Other Toys: iPhone 5 White|AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900 (work)|2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 2.0i CVT|2nd gen Google Nexus 7 16 GB|Latitude 13 Review|Dual Lenovo X220 Tablet review!

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks Tsunade for your reply.

Do I actually have to do this?

Acronis & Ghost

Third party disk imaging utilities can also be used - refer to instructions provided with those products for detail.

If you plan to clone a ThinkPad drive, the target (new) drive must be inserted in the TP as primary drive, the source (old) drive can be in the ultrabay or an usb caddy using a cloning software running from cd. Note: When using Ghost you must set the IB switch in order to capture all the boot sectors.
    I read it from Lenovo forum for T61p, the process should be similar though.

However, it's kinda complicated if I have to switch the hard drive to clone, especially X61 does not have internal CD writer. The topic elaboration is here.

Notebook Consultant

That is one of the ways to do it.

"IPnaSh wrote:

The easiest and quickest way to clone a disk is connecting both disk on a desktop computer, and start then the cloning process with any disk cloning tool."
    that's how I do it, and i've never had a problem. Thinkpads are no different than any other laptop in that aspect, so I'm not sure why the other person said " Cloning the drive in another system is 99.9% doomed to failure". the failure is pretty much completely dependent on the OS. if the drive won't boot, usually a repair using a windows 7 OS disc fixes the issue.
    if the special lenovo partitions are that picky, it's still worth a try if you have access to a computer where you can connect both hard drives.

I'm using a hard drive in my X61 tablet that has a windows 7 install which was cloned several times (using true image and driveimage XML), and was originally from a hp laptop.
    ThinkPad W500 - T9600 | FireGL V5700 | 8GB DDR3 | Hitachi Z7K320 320GB | 15.4" WUXGA | BD-RE | 7 Ultimate
    ThinkPad X61 Tablet - L7500 | 4GB DDR2 | Crucial C300 64GB | 12.1" SXGA+ | Windows 8

Moderately inquisitive

My SSD (cloned using Acronis) includes two hidden partitions, so Acronis can handle them. I always do my cloning using a bootable CD. Clone with the original disc still inside. Then once the process has finished shut the machine down and swap the HDD.

John

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your help!
    I had my hard drive arrived just now, but I am still waiting for the case (still not come yet). I have a case which is being used for around 80GB.

If i take out the 120GB (the main one) into this case, would it be fit?
    Then I will insert my 500GB to the laptop and do the cloning from bootable USB drive.

Do I have to have a licensed True Image to create a bootable drive? Or will the trial one work?