Quantcast Screen Goes Dark Sometimes After Plugging In Charger

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Screen Goes Dark Sometimes After Plugging In Charger

Hello, I got my ThinkPad T420 two days ago and I'm finally done setting it up. I love it but I think something is wrong.

Twice now, one last night on Windows while transferring files from old computer to new, and once again now on Ubuntu listening to music, the screen went almost black (could make out things barely) after plugging in the charger. This does not happen all of the time when I plug it in, only when the battery is low, or at least that's what I think. This time I know for sure the battery icon on Ubuntu was in the red and I think Windows had it fairly low as well. Both times the laptop was still functioning, for example music was still playing. Also the problem can be fixed by pressing Fn+F4 to put the computer to sleep and then starting it back up.

Anyone know what's up with the laptop Driver issue? Battery issue? Display issue? Working as intended?!

Edit: Reading around other forums and some older posts say that it could be a Power Mangement issue which does explain why it only happens on low battery. Checking my power management on Ubuntu and nothing of the sort...

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Screen Goes Dark Sometimes After Plugging In Charger

Normal.

Only for a couple of seconds after plug in to AC. at least on my X220. My W520 is plugged in most of the time, so don't know on it.
    Perry

Lenovo W520, I7 2720QM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Crucial M4 256 GB in UltraBay, 80 GB Intel 310 mSata, Q1000M Graphics

Lenovo X220, I7 2620, Samsung 240 GB SSD,
    Intel 80 GB 310 mSata, Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Asus P8Z68-V/Intel I7-2600K, 1TB Sata III WD, C300 256 GB OS Boot Drv, C300 128 GB data drive, C4 256 GB Data Drive, WDC 500GB HDD, Radeon HD 6870, CoolerMaster 212+ CPU Cooler; spare M4 512 GB drive, spare C300 256k GB SSD.

Notebook Enthusiast

Really? I can't imagine this being practical though!

Reading some more found this: Dell laptop screen goes black when charging with cord - Tech Support Forum

Exact same scenario described. Would checking BIOS settings fix whatever is happening? Since it occurred both on Windows and Ubuntu it has to be something overlying, right? BIOS would solve that issue?

EDIT: Speaking from a technical standpoint would the BIOS be the likely culprit? Looking at the Power settings in it I see that it's Mode/Scheme for AC is set to Maximim Performance. I'll give it a shot and see if it fixes the issue.

Notebook Evangelist

I thought this was the machine changing from 50 hertz to 60 hertz when pluggin in and visa versa.

Check out this page...

X220 uncontrollably switches to 50Hz refresh rate ... - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

I may be wrong, but may as well check.

I had this issue on a factory install, but don't have it on a clean install.