Quantcast Linux on the X220 - Page 21

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Linux on the X220

Quote Originally Posted by mstanisz View Post
    Has anyone tried using a 3.0 kernel yet? I might have missed it in all the posts :-)
    Typing this on an x220 running kernel 3.0.1... I've also run 3.0 and 3.1-rc1. I haven't had any problems with shifted screen under X, so I don't know what to tell you. For a sample kernel config file for X220, see, e.g., Installing Gentoo on a ThinkPad X220 - ThinkWiki

Thanks for the tips on picking out the x220. i7 with SSD is running fine out of the box with ubuntu natty. I haven't done a proper battery test but it seems to quote me about 8hrs with wifi and full brightness and 9V battery. plan to take on a cross country flight so should hold up for the flight...

One question I had is hooking it up to a TV with the display port. I got a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter and hooked it up to my TV. It detected the TV fine but there were two issues

(1) When connected to the TV it only gives the option of 16:9 formats as opposed to 16:10 making the top slightly clipped - is there a way to force a 16:10 configuration?

(2) My sound still comes from the laptop. my understanding is that displayport should transfer sound so is there a way to get the sound to come out of the TV?

The only other issue I've encountered is that after configuring two figure scroll with gpointing it sometimes stops working and I need to click two finger scrolling off and then back on to get it going. kind of a nuisance if anyone has a fix for...

thanks,

bg

Quote Originally Posted by bennyscuba View Post
    Thanks for the tips on picking out the x220. i7 with SSD is running fine out of the box with ubuntu natty. I haven't done a proper battery test but it seems to quote me about 8hrs with wifi and full brightness and 9V battery. plan to take on a cross country flight so should hold up for the flight...

One question I had is hooking it up to a TV with the display port. I got a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter and hooked it up to my TV. It detected the TV fine but there were two issues

(1) When connected to the TV it only gives the option of 16:9 formats as opposed to 16:10 making the top slightly clipped - is there a way to force a 16:10 configuration?

(2) My sound still comes from the laptop. my understanding is that displayport should transfer sound so is there a way to get the sound to come out of the TV?

The only other issue I've encountered is that after configuring two figure scroll with gpointing it sometimes stops working and I need to click two finger scrolling off and then back on to get it going. kind of a nuisance if anyone has a fix for...

thanks,

bg
    So I think I spoke too soon with everything working fine. After connecting to the TV my suspend is no longer working properly - as it doesn't wake up. Seems to be similar problem in this thread:

[ubuntu] Cannot resume from suspend Ubuntu 10.10 - Ubuntu Forums

and tried most of the fixes to no avail. Curious if it's possible the connecting to an external monitor messed stuff up in the graphics card? Or just a coincidence...Either way curious if anyone has a fix for either issue...

bg

Notebook Consultant

Why would you want a 16:10 configuration? Your laptop is 16:9, and so is your TV, unless you have some really weird one.

If your TV crops the top of the screen, I suggest that you play with your TV settings. You might need to manually shift the computer output on the TV screen, or there might be an "autoadjust" option in your TV menu. Check the manual of your TV.

Can't help you with this one as I haven't tried that myself. Does it work under Windows? I've seen threads in the past with information that some DP->HDMI adapters transfer audio and others don't.

I would guess it might be a driver issue, specifically with xf86-input-synaptics. I'm running 1.4.0 on my Gentoo install and with that version the two-finger scroll works out of the box. So either try finding a newer version somewhere, or wait for two months until the next Ubuntu version comes out, which hopefully will include the newer driver.

Notebook Consultant

using arch with kernel 3.0. seems mighty fine so far.

So I think I spoke too soon with everything working fine. After connecting to the TV my suspend is no longer working properly - as it doesn't wake up. Seems to be similar problem in this thread:

[ubuntu] Cannot resume from suspend Ubuntu 10.10 - Ubuntu Forums

and tried most of the fixes to no avail. Curious if it's possible the connecting to an external monitor messed stuff up in the graphics card? Or just a coincidence...Either way curious if anyone has a fix for either issue...

bg
    So this issue seems resolved (for now) with kernel 3.0. That also seems to have helped the cropping issue...

yes I was being a bit dense with screen size. I had that number in my head...

still need to play with sound but that is more of a minor issue...fortunately don't have windows to test in

Notebook Consultant

I believe that's a bug in gpointing-device-settings.
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=650559

Here is a workaround for the trackpoint. Could probably be modified for the touchpad.
    Alternative to gpointing-device-settings - FedoraForum.org

See thinkwiki for more info.
    How to configure the TrackPoint - ThinkWiki
    ThinkPad X220, i5-2540M CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM HDD, WXGA IPS display, Intel 6205 2x2 WiFi, Bluetooth, webcam, fingerprint reader, 6-cell, 3-yr Depot warranty, Win 7 Pro

ThinkPad T42, 1.70GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 w/64MB VRAM, SXGA+ display

Notebook Enthusiast

Is there on linux some utility which allows you to set battery charging settings like lenovo power manager? I mean - start charging when below 80%, stop charging at 90% etc.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zadam View Post
    Is there on linux some utility which allows you to set battery charging settings like lenovo power manager? I mean - start charging when below 80%, stop charging at 90% etc.
    check for the tm_smapi in the thinkpad wiki

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by kyriu View Post
    check for the tm_smapi in the thinkpad wiki

Tp smapi - ThinkWiki
    Note also that the information there is not completely up to date. x220 is (partially) supported, provided that you use the forked 0.41 release. It's a work in progress though, e.g., stop_charge_thresh works on x220, but start_charge_thresh does not.