Quantcast ThinkPad X220 (i/T) Owners Thread - Page 91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 319 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: ThinkPad X220 (i/T) Owners Thread

Hoo boy, this is getting bad. I note that the GPU rarely reaches full clock speed when the CPU is stressed, even under perfectly reasonable temperatures. And when the GPU finally does kick in at 1300 MHz, it seems to trigger an immediate drop in both CPU clock speed (to 800 MHz) and GPU clock speed (to 650 MHz). This is most certainly not good and if it can't be fixed via BIOS update means I am going to have to RMA this unit and go with something else. This is the entire reason I paid the premium for the i7 in the first place!
    Owner/Sole Proprieter, Triple-S Computers in Louisville, KY
    Managing Editor, DigitalChumps.com
    Senior Editor, Notebookcheck

Notebook Guru

So is this really a Lenovo specific issue? It would be nice to see what happens with some of the other brand laptops (HP/Dell) with similar CPU/GPU configs.

Notebook Evangelist

All,

I am horribly displeased to report that yes, I just now experienced precisely the same situation that petrov reports about the CPU permanently downclocking until a cold reboot. Temperature clearly has nothing to do with this; that is, unless somehow ALL of the temp sensors in the system are incorrect.

This still occurs following a manual driver update of the Intel HD Graphics to 2361.

This is very disturbing. I certainly hope a solution is possible, as if it is not, there is no way I can keep this system (and I'm certain my two customers who just purchased will also wish to return theirs, as they are both gamers). I would strongly advise anyone with an i7 x220 to put their system through the same (simple) testing using OCCT and HWiNFO32, and anyone considering purchasing an i7 model (or who already has), keep a close eye on this situation. You are not getting anything you are paying for unless this is rectified.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by othersteve View Post
    All,

I am horribly displeased to report that yes, I just now experienced precisely the same situation that petrov reports about the CPU permanently downclocking until a cold reboot. Temperature clearly has nothing to do with this; that is, unless somehow ALL of the temp sensors in the system are incorrect.

This still occurs following a manual driver update of the Intel HD Graphics to 2361.

This is very disturbing. I certainly hope a solution is possible, as if it is not, there is no way I can keep this system (and I'm certain my two customers who just purchased will also wish to return theirs, as they are both gamers). I would strongly advise anyone with an i7 x220 to put their system through the same (simple) testing using OCCT and HWiNFO32, and anyone considering purchasing an i7 model (or who already has), keep a close eye on this situation. You are not getting anything you are paying for unless this is rectified.

If they're both gamers, why are they purchasing this laptop in the first place, where there's no option to get a nv or amd gpu?

i think i'm just going to keep the i5 system i received yesterday. this is ridiculous
    Current Laptops:
    Sony Vaio CW VPCCW27FX/B - i5 w/ GT330M
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by evident View Post
    If they're both gamers, why are they purchasing this laptop in the first place, where there's no option to get a nv or amd gpu?

i think i'm just going to keep the i5 system i received yesterday. this is ridiculous
    Like me, they didn't buy a laptop primarily to game, but they most certainly will wish to have that option available to them. Both are power users.

The problem here is that we ought to be getting performance which is exponentially better than we're seeing in many games and in other GPU-intensive scenarios. And worse yet, should your CPU devolve into the aforementioned permanently-downclocked state, you must actually power off your entire system and reboot from the off state to correct the problem and reap clock speeds exceeding the extremely slow 800 MHz.

Notebook Geek

The throttling doesn't happen on my i5-2520 machine after running OCCT for 2 minutes. GPU goes to 1300MHz, CPU stays about 2500ish MHz. When I have time to let it run for longer, I will, and I'll report back.

Notebook Consultant

since I don't have my X220 now I can't check, but I ran it on my desktop and it doesn't have the correct entries in the dropdown to select the GPU temps...

Notebook Evangelist

Wow guys, sorry for doubting.

First, I carefully took apart my x220 and replaced the thermal compound. Wow, what a cruddy job they did, as there was WAYYYYY too much thermal compound on it. I replaced it with Shin Etsu G751. Temps went down 6-10c (!) on full load! Amazing. NOTE: if you do decide to do this, you will need a special small socket driver in order to remove the two nuts around the VGA adapter. Those VGA nuts help hold the motherboard in the chassis. NOTE: FAN NOISE HAS BEEN REDUCED OVERALL.

TWO: I am now able to confirm the throttling issue. I have the i7. The easiest way to reproduce the issue is to start by running furmark. In hwinfo32, your gpu will clock to 1300mhz. Then, start intelburntest. Your cpu will now drop to 800mhz, and your gpu clock to 650.

At this point, your cpu and gpu will be stuck. Easy way to fix it is to go into lenovo power manager (Advanced), and switch the System Performance to Balanced, then back to whatever it was before (mine is on maximum turbo).

My cpu and gpu are now throttling fine again.

I will be posting in the thread in the official lenovo forums.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
    At this point, your cpu and gpu will be stuck. Easy way to fix it is to go into lenovo power manager (Advanced), and switch the System Performance to Balanced, then back to whatever it was before (mine is on maximum turbo).

My cpu and gpu are now throttling fine again.

I will be posting in the thread in the official lenovo forums.
    So you can break the cycle of permanent throttling by switching the power plan? Perhaps this is indeed evidence that this is fixable via a software-based update.

Notebook Consultant

x220t here. When I try to run OCCT, I get an error complaining that DX9 isn't installed/up to date..? Whats up with that? dxdiag shows that I have DX11 installed... GPU test is disabled. :S
    Sony Vaio AR-570CTO (2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo) | Geforce 8600M | C300 128GB SSD | 500GB Western Digital
    ThinkPad X220T: i7-2620 @2.7Ghz | 8GB HyperX | Bluetooth | Killer 1102 N Wifi Card | Multitouch IPS Display w/ WACOM | 80GB Intel 310 mSATA SSD | 320GB 7200RPM Seagate