Quantcast Lenovo/Ibm Makes most durable laptops - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Lenovo/Ibm Makes most durable laptos

Quote Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
    Don't tell this to Toughbook and MBP owners....
    Hey outside of the fully rugged toughbooks ( some of the business class rugged toughbooks suck ) I AGREE with the thinkpads being most durable, as for crapbook pros ..... well their fashion accessories more than a hard working machine
    Last edited by crazycanuk; 14th July 2010 at 01:23 PM.
    currently running, Panasonic, ASUS, Apple, Sony, HP, Dulls, Sony and Alienware.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Lenovo/Ibm Makes most durable laptops

I also agree that (next to Toughbooks) the Thinkpad is one of the most durable laptops out there.
    I've owned MANY laptops, and NOTHING comes close to the build quality of the Thinkpads (especially the T and X series).
    Thinkpad X301: 64GB SSD, 1.4Ghz, Windows 7 Pro 3GB RAM Ordered 11-09-09 Arrived: 11-24-09
    Thinkpad T61: T8300 2.4GHZ Penryn Processor , 160GB HD @ 7200 RPM's , 15.4in Widescreen, 2GB RAM Ordered On: 2/14/08 Arrived: 2/21/08

Nutty ThinkPad Guy

I completely agree.. ThinkPads are the most durable notebooks outside of fully sealed construction/military use notebooks I've ever seen.

Maybe the usage patterns vary, but my ex's two year old HP DV9000 was pretty much on its last legs and looked like it had been through a meat grinder. Hardware issues abound, the fan was completely inaccessible to clean out(I ended up having to take the entire system apart to blow it out), and the palmrest was so flimsy that a large chunk had broken off, exposing the motherboard. In comparison, my nearly decade old T21(even before the rollcage days) had survived far worse and as quite well intact. I even used it for a spell last week while my other rigs were out on warranty service.

I'm pretty much convinced that consumer rigs are meant to only last a couple of years, tops... HP, Dell, and the like want their consumers to come back time and time again, and the care put in their designs reflect that. ThinkPads are in an entirely different place as far as that goes... you buy a new ThinkPad in order to upgrade to newer hardware, not because your old machine is falling apart.
    -Lenovo ThinkPad X200 -7458-AE3- P8600, GMA X4500, 256GB SSD
    -Lenovo ThinkPad T500 -2082-3HU- P8400, GMA X4500/ATI HD3650, 1.0TB HDD
    -Asus G73- i7 740QM, ATI HD5870, 1.2TB HDD, 160GB SSD- Retiring
    -Dell Precision M6700- i7 3740QM, Quadro K4000M, 2.5TB HDD, 256GB SSD- On Order.

Quote Originally Posted by lineS of flight View Post
    @JaneL...thanks for posting this. I had no idea about #4! So, Lenovo does recommend that you briskly flip the laptop over. I did not know this.

Thus, @"abop": obviously I was wrong. I stand corrected.
    I also thought that was interesting, it's a natural to turn the laptop over to get the water out.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nick9645 View Post
    I also thought that was interesting, it's a natural to turn the laptop over to get the water out.
    But only after you let the drain holes do their work!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...ml#post6467463
    Jane
    forum.thinkpads.com / forums.Lenovo.com / forum.NotebookReview.com / forum.TabletPCReview.com / @jloyless
    ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
    I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
    I do not respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.
    I do not work for Lenovo.

Banned

I just broke off the piece of plastic above the usb port with my usb modem. That did not happen with my previous hp laptop... Maybe it is because I was using it in tablet mode thus increases the chance of the modem damaging my laptop. Urrr.... feel so bad inside.

Notebook Enthusiast

I'm confused/surprised. Do all modern Thinkpads have spill-resistant keyboards? Does the W510?

Purveyor of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerTalker View Post
    I'm confused/surprised. Do all modern Thinkpads have spill-resistant keyboards? Does the W510?
    Lenovo Thinkpads all had the spill resistant keyboard (not sure whether SL and L series had them).

-----------
    @Warakawa, this accident was bound to happen with the usb 3.5G modem. Luckily, for me it were the usb modem that broke rather than the usb port on the thinkpads.

After the accident i only use E71 as a wireless hotspot, when i need the 3.5G internet.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lead_org View Post
    After the accident i only use E71 as a wireless hotspot, when i need the 3.5G internet.
    sorry for going off topic, how is the speed compared to usb modem (assuming you were using huawei's)

Purveyor of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by warakawa View Post
    sorry for going off topic, how is the speed compared to usb modem (assuming you were using huawei's)
    I am on three, the speed is about the same as a E169G. Three network in Melbourne is the limit not the modem. Maximum download speed i can achieve is around 220 kb/s at around 1 am.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123