Quantcast Display comparison: HD+ vs FHD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Display comparison: HD+ vs FHD

I currently own a T60p with a 1600x1200 @200 nits, and I'm trying to decide which screen to get with my next machine, either a T510 or W510.

It will be either the HD+ (1600x900) or the FHD (1920x1080). Both are LED backlit, as par for today's displays, but the HD+ seems to come with 220 nits and 60% color gamut, while the FHD is, apparently, 270 nits and a 95% gamut (there is also a touch-screen, which I do NOT particularly want, which comes with it seems a 242 nit screen, same 95% gamut).

Can anybody comment on the difference between these two screens, in terms of overall brightness (in both dark and bright ambient lighting), and particularly the color "sensation": is the 95% gamut just "too saturated", as I've read some reviewers say??

My current 200 nit screen on the T60p is not as bright as I would like, as it suffers in a very brightly lit rooms (and outdoors, of course, though I seldom go there); color seems decent enough; not great, but decent.
    IBM Thinkpad T60p, 2 GHz, 2 GB, 100 GB @7200, ATI Mobility Fire GL V5200

Purveyor of Truth

Default Re: Display comparison: HD+ vs FHD

which LCD does your T60p have? UXGA IPS? or the regular 15 inch SXGA+?

From looking at my friend's W510, the FHD is right LCD for movie watching and photoshop work. The HD+ is okay but not brilliant.

The overall brightness of the FHD is also better without the touchscreen, HD+ is good too, compared to my W500.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by lead_org View Post
    which LCD does your T60p have? UXGA IPS? or the regular 15 inch SXGA+?

From looking at my friend's W510, the FHD is right LCD for movie watching and photoshop work. The HD+ is okay but not brilliant.

The overall brightness of the FHD is also better without the touchscreen, HD+ is good too, compared to my W500.
    I believe it's the UXGA. It's the "high density flex view", if that helps answer your question. Where can I find out definitively?? I tried looking all over the place yesterday (90 minutes!) but came up empty.

Notebook Deity

If it's the high density flexview 1600x1200, you have what is the best screen for photography work on a laptop ever made, and, sadly, that is likely every to be made (NB: being super bright is of no use to a photographer). You should get the FHD, because everything else will be too big of a step down.

Purveyor of Truth

one of the biggest complain some people have with the Flexview LCD on the T60 laptops, were that the CCFL backlight dims very fast with age.

Notebook Deity

Lead, I think that was just the 1400x1050 LG-Phillips one. I could be wrong though.

Weihenstephaner!

@ Set Sail,
    You can get a good idea of the mentioned screens specs here (FHD) and here (HD+)
    HP EXtremeBook 2570p <> 12.5" LCD<> 3840QM Quad@4Ghz! <> 16GB RAM <> 1.5TB Storage! <> 6hrs of battery life! <> Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
    If it's the high density flexview 1600x1200, you have what is the best screen for photography work on a laptop ever made, and, sadly, that is likely every to be made (NB: being super bright is of no use to a photographer). You should get the FHD, because everything else will be too big of a step down.

I didn't know this flex-view is supposed to be that good(!). I always knew it was pretty good. (Guess I need to get out more and see more different machines.)

It does have very good granularity, I guess that's what it means by "high density", very good detail. What bothers me the most is that all this fine detail is somewhat lost by what seems like a dull screen level of "brightness". Thus, I'm looking for a brighter screen on my next machine, while still keeping the good detail of a higher resolution screen.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
    Lead, I think that was just the 1400x1050 LG-Phillips one. I could be wrong though.

How does one find out the screen maker's name, short of tearing down the top of the computer??

Purveyor of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Set Sail View Post
    How does one find out the screen maker's name, short of tearing down the top of the computer??
    get a HWinfo32 and check the LCD part number, then google the part number it should give an accurate list of the manufacturers.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast