Quantcast Lenovo Durability best?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Lenovo Durability best?

would you guys consider lenovo to be the best company as far as durability for pc manufacturers? I am thinking about buying the y560.. thanks.

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Lenovo Durability best?

There is really no "best" that covers ALL of a companies products (for most OEMs). The lenovo Thinkpads differ greatly in durability compared to Ideapads.

You should probably let us know what other laptops you're considering so we can do more direct comparisons.
    Thinkpad x200: Win 7 x64, P8400, 4gigs ddr3 (crucial 2x2gig), 80gig Intel X25m G2/64gig Samsung SLC SSD, Intel wifi5100, 9cell, fingerprint reader, BT, NMB keyboard, ultrabase driving HP LP2475w (displayport/dvi)

Guide to adding a bluetooth module in the x200

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by jaredy View Post
    There is really no "best" that covers ALL of a companies products (for most OEMs). The lenovo Thinkpads differ greatly in durability compared to Ideapads.

You should probably let us know what other laptops you're considering so we can do more direct comparisons.
    why do they differ so greatly? I was thinking about the envy 14 as well, but from the reviews of the envy 17 so far.. not so much. I was mainly looking for an aesthetically well built PC with a ton of power. The Dell xps 16 was on my list, but because of its looks, I crossed it off.

Purveyor of Truth

you mean well designed machine? Lenovo machines doesn't look as good as some of the competitor's laptops. In terms of design and aesthetics i think Apple MBP is the best, but durability and feature wise it is not the best.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by lead_org View Post
    you mean well designed machine? Lenovo machines doesn't look as good as some of the competitor's laptops. In terms of design and aesthetics i think Apple MBP is the best, but durability and feature wise it is not the best.
    what do you consider better that utilizes microsoft as its priority?

ZaZ
    Super Model

In my experience whether things "work out" or not boils down to plain dumb luck more than anything else, which sort of takes out any rationality from the process. I've had six or seven ThinkPads in a row. Only the only problem I've had with one is a hard drive failed on my T42, which was quickly replaced.

Notebook Geek

I disagree! A Thinkpad looks like a perfect example how a notebook should look like. Black, plain with some highlights (track point, logo, metal hinges). I can not figure out why so many people like the Apple design. Thinkpad design is a clear archetype of design school:

"form follows function" one of the single most important decisions every (hardware, software, etc.) architect should follow.

@sinafl: You should know that a y560 is not a Thinkpad and there are certain downsides because of that. So be carefull just because a T61p or a W510 have great build quality does not mean a Ideapad falls into the same category.

Purveyor of Truth

I disagree! A Thinkpad looks like a perfect example how a notebook should look like. Black, plain with some highlights (track point, logo, metal hinges). I can not figure out why so many people like the Apple design. Thinkpad design is a clear archetype of design school:

"form follows function" one of the single most important decisions every (hardware, software, etc.) architect should follow.
    This argument has been proceeding for many years, and there is probably no end to it. I am not talking about the Thinkpad as such, but the general Lenovo laptop line up. And it is clear from the post, the OP is not really after the thinkpads but more inclined to the ideapad machines.

In the consumer laptop market Apple MBP does look the best, there is simply no argument about it. But Thinkpad is not a consumer laptop, it is more of a business laptop.

I do love Thinkpads, which is why i have so many. But if i was going to buy a consumer grade laptop, then Apple MBP gets my pick over anything else, provided that my budget is not limited. I could also go for the alienware M17x for the sake of owning a machine that cram all the latest technology into in portable package (relatively speaking).

@sinafl: You should know that a y560 is not a Thinkpad and there are certain downsides because of that. So be carefull just because a T61p or a W510 have great build quality does not mean a Ideapad falls into the same category.
    This is exactly what i meant, which i should of explained a little better in the my previous post.

Banned

In the consumer laptop market Apple MBP does look the best, there is simply no argument about it. But Thinkpad is not a consumer laptop, it is more of a business laptop.
    looks is too subjective to be measure accurately. "there is simply no argument about it" comment does not stand.

Purveyor of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by warakawa View Post
    subjective
    So which consumer laptop do you think looks better than the MBP? HP Envy? or any of those off the shelf ODM/JDM consumer laptops designed mostly by Foxconn, Compal, Wistron, etc...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast