Quantcast Does Foxconn build laptop for Lenovo?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Does Foxconn build laptop for Lenovo?

Hello everyone,

I was wonder if Lenovo have a contract with foxconn for making their Laptop. I know Quanta make some for them, but I am not sure about foxconn. After reading article online on the foxconn worker abuses and worker's suicide I decided that I am going to boycotted every single producted that is made by foxconn.

modifier

Default Re: Does Foxconn build laptop for Lenovo?

foxconn has contracts with all of the large manufacturers.   boycotting foxconn means you won't be buying a notebook anytime soon.

I didn't know that they made laptops/motherboards, but I know that on every laptop that I have opened I have generally seen ports/connectors labeled Foxconn.
    Want to help? The Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) project is looking for developers, testers and helpers for icons and maintaining the website - link.
    Have any questions about MPC-HC or the Combined Community Codec Pack? (click for web chat)
    For video playback: xy-vsfilter & CCCP (use the bundled version of MPC-HC)

Notebook Virtuoso

Foxconn (Hon Hai) is one of the biggest manufactures related to many computer components in the industry. They also make lots of Apple products.

You might want to look into the suicide rates and realize how many people they employ. I will give you a hint. It is close to half a million. Check out suicide rates for China per 100k population. They aren't really abnormal; though of course this is averaged so not really a precise point. It is just something to think about.

The industry as a whole is not really great compared to the western takes on work quality and environmental factors. You should pretty much stop using electronics.
    Thinkpad x200: Win 7 x64, P8400, 4gigs ddr3 (crucial 2x2gig), 80gig Intel X25m G2/64gig Samsung SLC SSD, Intel wifi5100, 9cell, fingerprint reader, BT, NMB keyboard, ultrabase driving HP LP2475w (displayport/dvi)

Guide to adding a bluetooth module in the x200

Rockin the pinktop

I have had 4 Dell laptops, each one had a large number of Foxconn components. Motherboard, heatpipes, "daughterboards" , etc.

When I had a thinkpad T60 I remember seeing a few things inside that were Foxconn.

Past Thinkpad T60, Inspiron 1420, XPS M1330, Presario V2010us
    Present Inspiron 1520, Aspire One D150

ZaZ
    Super Model

I'm not completely sure on this one, but I think some Fujitsus were assembled in Japan by Fujitsu. I don't know if they still are or if they're using any foxxcon parts or not. Don't let others dissuade you from your principals. Having them is a good thing, but sometimes reality has to set it. Good luck in the quest.

Purveyor of Truth

Foxconn makes 90% of the Apple products.

Most of the contract manufacturers work similarly to Foxconn... if they leak the information (i.e. prototype) the brand label company would either sue and/or drop them as the contracting company.

if anyone whom have ever toured a contract manufacturer's factory would probably take a dim view of purchasing any more consumer electronics, since most of the workers usually operate 12 hours day 6 days a week. They would also get paid next to slave wage (well slave usually don't get a wage, but anyway), and if anyone complains about something they did (i.e. not fitting the keyboard properly), they could even lose their job.

I think most of these problems that you are seeing with Foxconn and suicide, are related to Apple products, since Jobs Inc usually take information leak so seriously, and anyone dare to break the code of silence probably will feel the wrath of Emperor Palpatine's (aka Steve Jxxs) secret police.

Microsoft was exposed using some very cheap labours for their mouse, keyboard and xbox controller products, so much so they are investigating their contract suppliers (surprise surprise) for employee treatment.

So next time when you buy your netbook or complain if Thinkpad is too expensive, spare a thought for what the cost cutting is doing to the entire labour market within the consumer electronics.

P.S. this is a good thing with Thinkpad, no one could care if next generation model gets stolen, since most people can't even tell which one is which in this whole product roadmap. Nor is anyone going to fork a million dollar for a replica of the leaked prototype.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Notebook Virtuoso

It is an unfortunate reality in electronics production and assembly that there are not really alternatives for better labor practices or proper focus on environmental degradation from processes. OEMs and branded companies can showcase all they want how "green" or sustainable they are but the industry as a whole needs production shifts that are more concerned with the practices considering how many different components go into a product. Consumers must also be prepared to pay a premium.
    Thinkpad x200: Win 7 x64, P8400, 4gigs ddr3 (crucial 2x2gig), 80gig Intel X25m G2/64gig Samsung SLC SSD, Intel wifi5100, 9cell, fingerprint reader, BT, NMB keyboard, ultrabase driving HP LP2475w (displayport/dvi)

Guide to adding a bluetooth module in the x200

Purveyor of Truth

So lets just get a piece of chalk and some tree bark, maybe we could also consider the tree bark for our cloth.... self sufficiency at its best.... oh don't take a bite of that Apple, since you could be infringing on trademark.

oh yes maybe we should use some carrier Pigeon (for the iPhone geek, you can refer to them as iPigeon), Gizmodo wouldn't have to try so hard to get some production prototype.
    WIN A LENOVO YOGA FROM THINKSCOPES

Microsoft MVP & Lenovo Global Brand Ambassador

Notebook Deity

I hope that Lenovo doesn't contracted out their laptop to foxconn. I know that foxconn make alot of dell and apple.

Another suicide today, this make it 10th this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast