Quantcast FN-CTRL swap on all Lenovo laptops [SOLVED] - Page 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: FN-CTRL swap on all Lenovo laptops [SOLVED]

Thanks for the detailed explanations Middleton. I guess i'll just have to get used to the weird key placement. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything!

Can anyone re-up BIOS for s10- file from first page doesn't found.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by etylina19 View Post
    Can anyone re-up BIOS for s10- file from first page doesn't found.
    Click on "IdeaPad" word instead of "S10". This forum spoils some links.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi middleton, I wonder if you are still fixing BIOS? I have a Y560 and although this is my second laptop with the Fn-Ctrl layout, I still find the Fn-Ctrl layout to be very hard to adjust to. Please let me know if you are willing to help, and what info/files you need. Thanks.

Notebook Deity

Exactly how is this BIOS mod works? I got the T60 model, and flashed the modded BIOS, but the key are still the same.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Apple rMBP i7-3720QM 16GB RAM 256GB SSD
    Fujtsu Lifebook T901, 16GB RAM 120GB SSD & 500GB Momentus XT

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by parrot5 View Post
    Hi middleton, I wonder if you are still fixing BIOS? I have a Y560 and although this is my second laptop with the Fn-Ctrl layout, I still find the Fn-Ctrl layout to be very hard to adjust to. Please let me know if you are willing to help, and what info/files you need. Thanks.
    Tell me please the type of your BIOS: Phoenix or Insyde H2O.

Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    Exactly how is this BIOS mod works? I got the T60 model, and flashed the modded BIOS, but the key are still the same.
    You have to use "flash.bat" to flash BIOS (see the first post of this topic).
    But if you are using 64-bit operating system, then I'm afraid I can't help you because there is no BIOS update for 64-bit systems.
    I don't wish to disassemble and patch DOS-executables on bootable CD image.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by middleton View Post
    You have to use "flash.bat" to flash BIOS (see the first post of this topic).
    But if you are using 64-bit operating system, then I'm afraid I can't help you because there is no BIOS update for 64-bit systems.
    I don't wish to disassemble and patch DOS-executables on bootable CD image.
    You missed reading me, I said "flashed the modded BIOS". Meaning the flashing of the bios is a success, I went into the BIOS and can see the version number get updated. But the Fn & Ctrl keys didn't get swap. And there is no BIOS option to swap the Fn & Ctrl keys either. In other word, the modded BIOS doesn't appear to do anything.

Notebook Consultant

You missed reading me, I said "flashed the modded BIOS". Meaning the flashing of the bios is a success, I went into the BIOS and can see the version number get updated. But the Fn & Ctrl keys didn't get swap. And there is no BIOS option to swap the Fn & Ctrl keys either. In other word, the modded BIOS doesn't appear to do anything.
    How did you flash T60 BIOS: using "winuptp.exe" or "flash.bat"?
    It seems you haven't read this topic from the beginning. Otherwise you'd know that "winuptp.exe" always checks Embedded Controller's firmware version and if new and old versions are the same, then Embedded Controller's firmware will not be updated - just like in your case.
    Use "flash.bat" to flash BIOS. This method supresses all version checks.

Notebook Deity

I did use the winuptp.exe but my BIOS was originally on version 2.25 and upon completion I verified it and it show 2.26 So the it did flashed the BIOS. Unless you are saying that running winuptp.exe will only flash the original unmodded BIOS while flash.bat will flash modded BIOS. That said, the T60 modded BIOS version 2.26 didn't swap fn & ctrl key.

Notebook Consultant

I did use the winuptp.exe but my BIOS was originally on version 2.25 and upon completion I verified it and it show 2.26 So the it did flashed the BIOS. Unless you are saying that running winuptp.exe will only flash the original unmodded BIOS while flash.bat will flash modded BIOS. That said, the T60 modded BIOS version 2.26 didn't swap fn & ctrl key.
    You don't understand what I'm trying to tell you. There are two files to be flashed:

1) Main BIOS image (*.FL1).

2) Embedded Controller's (EC) firmware (*.FL2). EC is responsible for keyboard handling.

It doesn't matter what main BIOS version you have because CTRL-FN patch is in EC's firmware.
    It's obviously that your version of EC's firmware is the same as in my patch. So "winuptp.exe" detects this and simply doesn't flash the patched EC's firmware.
    I want to repeat it once again: You've flashed only one file (*.FL1 - Main BIOS image), but the second one (*.FL2 - Embedded Controller's firmware where my patch is contained) is still not flashed because its version is identical to yours.
    You have to use "flash.bat" to force "winuptp.exe" to skip all version checks. I hope you'll understand me this time.

Flash my patch once again with "flash.bat" and write your results here.

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast