Quantcast Docking Station/Dual Monitor

Closed Thread

Default Docking Station/Dual Monitor

Hi all,

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the T410 w/integrated graphics and using the Mini Dock Plus Series 3 to push dual monitors through the DVI ports. Specifically, I'm looking at the Samsung 2343BWX which has a res of 2048x1152.

My question: do you think the integrated Intel HD will be able to handle this? Max performance required here will be pretty straightforward 2D business apps and browsing. 3D will never be a concern.

Anyone used dual setups with the 400s (since I believe they use the same dock) and 4500MHD have any info/concerns they can share?

Purveyor of Truth

Default Re: Docking Station/Dual Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSean View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the T410 w/integrated graphics and using the Mini Dock Plus Series 3 to push dual monitors through the DVI ports. Specifically, I'm looking at the Samsung 2343BWX which has a res of 2048x1152.

My question: do you think the integrated Intel HD will be able to handle this? Max performance required here will be pretty straightforward 2D business apps and browsing. 3D will never be a concern.

Anyone used dual setups with the 400s (since I believe they use the same dock) and 4500MHD have any info/concerns they can share?
    i am not sure the Integrated GPU can handle dual link dvi.

Umm.. I have to admit I don't know much about dual link dvi but i was under the impression that was just for a single display with seriously high resolution?

2048x1152 is under 2.75mp and so i don't believe the samsung is a dual link.

are you saying dual link also defines multiple monitors so that if the total output (across 2 monitors) is > 2.75mp then you are out of luck? so it couldn't even drive dual 1920x1080 displays?

I beat spamers with stiks

My T400 is perfectly happy displaying to the same samsung your looking at over VGA, and my desktop is connected via a single-link dvi cable and it works just fine.
    2012 13" Air
    2GHz i7/8GB/256GB SSD
    ||
    Series 7 Slate
    1.6GHz i5/4GB/128GB Win8
    2009 Mini
    2.26GHz C2D/6GB/80GB SSD/ML Server
    ||
    T400
    2.26GHz C2D/4GB/500GB/7 Ult.
    Custom Desktop
    3770k@4.3GHz/32GB@1600MHz/256GB M42x5870/X-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My T400 is perfectly happy displaying to the same samsung your looking at over VGA, and my desktop is connected via a single-link dvi cable and it works just fine.
    that's good to know

but the real meat of my question is: can it power 2 of them?

Notebook Evangelist

I thought the T400 had limitations with dual-link unless you are using discrete graphics... Jury's still out whether or not the plus can do dual-link with DVI (as opposed to just DP, or if you can use a third-party passive DP->DVI adapter dual link). The Intel HD chip itself can do 2560x1600 piping to 2 displays, I think even beyond 60hz and 24-bit color. Though the electronics linking to the physical display connectors I think are up to the manufacturer...

However, the REAL reason why you can still display your desired resolution is because single link DVI is limited to 3.96Gbit/s. The resolution you have is 3.4Gbit/s at 60hz, 24-bit color (even still using base-10 prefixing, instead of binary). So you're without a doubt under the bandwidth limit.

Lenovo T410:
    Core i7-620M 2.67Ghz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64 Enterprise, 256GB OPAL (encrypting) SSD, WXGA+, 9-cell battery (primary and slice), fingerprinter and smart card in usage, docking station.

Many desktop machines, 4 Windows 2008 R2 servers, 1 RHEL6 server.