Quantcast Fn on screen display message generator for ThinkPad stopped working

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fn on screen display message generator for ThinkPad stopped working

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows Vista Enterprise edition and have installed all the drivers for my T400.

What I found was that the Fn on screen display message generator was working fine right before I installed the driver for the Intel GM4500 video controller.

Once I installed this video driver, I get a popup window that says On screen display message generator for Thinkpad has stopped working. I tried to update the drivers but it still doesn't work.

The problem details are as follows:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: TPOSDSVC.exe
    Application Version: 1.1.5.0
    Application Timestamp: 49ba1898
    Fault Module Name: MMDevApi.dll_unloaded
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd03
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 749c19ad
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: d5a1
    Additional Information 2: c4214129afe40788e38f0b75c15ad165
    Additional Information 3: ed09
    Additional Information 4: 309182ce310d7491a448199eccbd6ba1

I'm reluctant to install Vista SP1 or SP2 as that may caus other unrelated problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Default Re: Fn on screen display message generator for ThinkPad stopped working

Hotkey + System Interface driver leads to OSDs on ThinkPads in Vista.

Notebook Consultant

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "On screen display message generator"?

ZaZ
    Super Model

It's the on-screen displays like then you turn up/down the brightness or volume.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZ View Post
    It's the on-screen displays like then you turn up/down the brightness or volume.
    That's what I thought. I have the OSD, but when I hit Fn-F7, I get nothing. Will Fn-F7 only do something if you ACTUALLY have an external monitor or projector hooked up?

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    That's what I thought. I have the OSD, but when I hit Fn-F7, I get nothing. Will Fn-F7 only do something if you ACTUALLY have an external monitor or projector hooked up?
    It should do it regardless. I type this with my X200s on my lap - nothing connected, but when pressing fn+f7 I get a black pop-up with white text on four rows where I can choose between different sort of externals (and whether it's "mirroring" or spanning.

Btw, as Zaz says (say that a couple of times quickly!), you guys need both the hotkey driver and the system interface driver to get it to work.

OT:
    I had problems at one point too, and by comparing with my gf's T400 I noticed I could make it a different colour, different size and even a different font if I so chose. I didn't change anything but the colour, though. I really disliked that green one.
    Thinkpad X200s, WXGA+, 1.86GHz, 320GB, 4GB.
    Usual set-up: Sound Devices 722, 320GB, 16GB CF | Schoeps CMXY 4V IG | Sennheiser HD25-1

Notebook Consultant

So each function key seems to bring some sort of message or pop up. Fn Home, End and PgUp all bring up something as well.

However, when I hit the Fn+F7 key my computer does nothing (I dont have anything attached to the VGA).

Since I am getting a message or pop up with all the function keys but F7, what does that mean?

Notebook Guru

So each function key seems to bring some sort of message or pop up. Fn Home, End and PgUp all bring up something as well.

However, when I hit the Fn+F7 key my computer does nothing (I dont have anything attached to the VGA).

Since I am getting a message or pop up with all the function keys but F7, what does that mean?
    I am not certain, but when I press fn+F7 i can select "handle schemes" (well, I'm translating directly from danish, so bear with me). When I click that the "presentation controls" pops up in which I can control what happens when I press fn+F7.

I can get to the same place by cliking the blue thinkvantage button>> "configuration of equipment" (again directly translated) and then at the top of the thing that pops out it should say something like "select screen schemes" or some such. Then the black pop-up thingy should show. When that is shown, all the way down in the middle it should say "Fn+F7 setting" click that.

In the fields emerging I do not have the top square clicked, but four others. Go check how yours are set up.

I know it reads like it's very complex, but it really isn't. I hope it helps, despite the abysmally translated parts
    Usual set-up: Sound Devices 722, 320GB, 16GB CF | Schoeps CMXY 4V IG | Sennheiser HD25-1

Notebook Consultant

When I press Fn F7, i get nothing to pop up or display on my screen. My screen stays the same. I have reinstalled system interface driver and presentation director from Lenovo, but still nothing.

Notebook Guru

When I press Fn F7, i get nothing to pop up or display on my screen. My screen stays the same. I have reinstalled system interface driver and presentation director from Lenovo, but still nothing.
    Did you try the other way around as I suggested in my post above in order to check if it's a setting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast