Quantcast How can i reformat my hard drive without deleting the recovery partition?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default How can i reformat my hard drive without deleting the recovery partition?

basically, is there any possible way to reformat the hard drive partition WITHOUT the recovery part? and then reinstall windows WITH the recovery partition after that? i have a T61 btw

NBR Janitor

Default Re: How can i reformat my hard drive without deleting the recovery partition?

If you're going to install Windows with the recovery partition, then you don't need to reformat your primary partition. The act of recovery will automatically format it for you.
    Desktop: Core i7 960, 1 TB HDD, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6870
    Asus G50vt-X1: P8400, 320 GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB RAM, 9800m GS
    Asus G1s-A1 - Dead Video Card

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How can i reformat my hard drive without deleting the recovery partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Lithus View Post
    If you're going to install Windows with the recovery partition, then you don't need to reformat your primary partition. The act of recovery will automatically format it for you.
    hmmm, u sure? where did you hear this from?

Former New York Giant

What lithus said makes sense. If you recover from the recovery partition you shouldn't lose the recovery partition.
    Current Laptop/Hardware Reviews, News, and Information--Asus 1002HA Review
    Computer Tech Links
    Lenovo T61p t8300/Nvidia Quadro 570m/3gb ram/ Hitachi 7k320/Vista Home Premium
    Asus 1002HA 1.6ghz Atom/Hitachi 7k200/1gb Ram/WinXP

Notebook Consultant

Am not sure I understand what you want to do. But to for instance put in a new hard disk:

1. Backup your C: drive

2. Burn recovery disks (Create Product Recovery Media in Start -- All Programs -- Thinkvantage folder). First disk has to be CD, rest can be DVD.

3. Reset to factory settings on the new disk by booting from the recovery disks.

4. Restore your C: drive

If you already destroyed the current recovery partition you can get recovery disks from Lenovo support for around $75.
    Lenovo ThinkPad T500: Vista Bus 32, T9600 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050, 320GB 7200rpm SATA, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD, Intel WiFi 5100, Intel Turbo 2GB, 9c Li-Ion
    IBM Thinkpad T42: XP SP3, Pent M735 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" XGA 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500, Intel WiFi 2200
    Past IBM Thinkpads: T41, T23, 770, 755CD

NBR Janitor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diamond View Post
    hmmm, u sure? where did you hear this from?
    Where did I hear it from? That's the definition of a system recovery...
    Desktop: Core i7 960, 1 TB HDD, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6870
    Asus G50vt-X1: P8400, 320 GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB RAM, 9800m GS
    Asus G1s-A1 - Dead Video Card

Notebook Geek

From recent experience, if you use the recovery DVDs/CDs you make yourself, they literally wipe out your hard drive and reinstall all three partitions (S:, C:, and the Lenovo one that's useless once you've burned the discs). Your computer will be exactly how it was when you took it out of the box.

Actually kind of annoying IMO. I'd prefer a freakin' Vista disc without the Lenovo stuff.

Also, does anyone know if the computer would still boot without the S: partition? Is that just for recovery, or also for booting? I can't wait for final 7 to come out so I can just use a Windows disc (no Lenovo partitions and crap).

Notebook Virtuoso

The S: partition isn't needed for booting. The day Win7 RC was publicly released I wiped my hard drive clean and installed Win7 (and Ubuntu 9), without the Lenovo partitions. No problems so far.
    Of course I created the recovery DVDs beforehand.
    Proofread your posts carefully to see if you any words out.

HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Indrek View Post
    The S: partition isn't needed for booting. The day Win7 RC was publicly released I wiped my hard drive clean and installed Win7 (and Ubuntu 9), without the Lenovo partitions. No problems so far.
    Of course I created the recovery DVDs beforehand.
    I know it's not needed for 7, but is it needed for the factory/recovery install of Vista? I can't figure out if it just keeps some backup/recovery info on it, or if Windows actually loads from S: rather than C: (again, only with the factory Vista).

Notebook Consultant

The S: partition is a Windows predesktop area (google on predesktop).

So in the factory preload MBR points to the S: partition that then loads C: (unless you push Thinkvantage/F11 button).

It also uses track 0 following MBR. That's why cloning a factory preload with Acronis True Image won't work, Acronis copies MBR and the partitions but not track 0.

Anyway when you do any kind of clean install you wipe MBR so as you no longer can enter the S: partition you might as well reformat reclaiming the space it uses.
    Lenovo ThinkPad T500: Vista Bus 32, T9600 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050, 320GB 7200rpm SATA, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD, Intel WiFi 5100, Intel Turbo 2GB, 9c Li-Ion
    IBM Thinkpad T42: XP SP3, Pent M735 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" XGA 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500, Intel WiFi 2200
    Past IBM Thinkpads: T41, T23, 770, 755CD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast