Quantcast ThinkPad SuperGuide - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: ThinkPad SuperGuide

Quote Originally Posted by Arkit3kt View Post
    Once it's on the disc, it is alright to delete and acquire the extra GB's of HDD space. You can restore to factory state later with the discs.
    I am a little bit technoloy challenge when it comes to laptop or I am really careful about my laptop. I assume you just right click and delete like any desktop. Thanks

Super Moderator

No, you'l be able to delete the hidden partition using a partition manager, such as the built-in one one the XP install disc. Basicallly, a partition is a reserved area on your hard disk. Example, you can have a 60GB HDD with two partitions (one hidden). Both those partitions should equal ~60GB, or however much space you have, which is about 93% of the advertisted size,

Notebook Geek

Before I delete or format the partition, anyway I can test if the recovery disk I burn is working? thanks again

Super Moderator

I believe you can insert the discs and if the software starts, you can cancel.

Hi Arki,

Thanks for putting this up. I am new to even reformatting my laptop (x61) and have a question for you - with this way of reformatting, would I lose my hotkey function ability eg fn-f5 for wifi, fn-f8 to switch screens etc?

Thanks!

Notebook Evangelist

It's a good guide, but I don't see anything about transferring licenses for the clean install.
    Thinkpad T61p - 2.0GHz T7300, 3GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Quadro FX 570M, 7K100 HDD, Vista Home Premium x64

Default ThinkPad T500 Resolution problem

I just got a T500 (running Xp Pro) and am having an annoying issue with the display resolution. I have it set to 1680x1050. When I close the screen lid the display is disabled but switches into a lower resolution. When I open it, it switches back to 1680x1050 but the icons are all misarranged and open windows are smaller, just as they would be if you switched to a low resolution and switched back. I'm running no external monitor and am using no docking station. I have the power settings set to never shut off the screen, to never go into sleep mode when I close the lid, etc.

I read something online about this model having two video adapters, so I thought it may be switching to the other one to conserve power or something like that. But in the ATI "Catalyst Control Center" program it only shows one adapter (HD 3650 DDC Display). Any ideas how I can get it to stop switching to a lower resolution when I close the lid?
    Thanks,
    MikeSebring

Notebook Enthusiast

Arki and others,

I finally got up the nerves (not being too OS savvy and all) to downgrade my T400 from Vista Home to Windows XP Professional and ran into a few snags. I'm following the super guide, but couldn't find the following drivers for T400:

1. No driver for: Modem (exists for Vista only)
    2. No driver found for: System Interface Driver
    3. Not sure which Video driver to pick -- choices seem to be: InterVideo WinDVD player update *OR* InterVideo WinDVD software update
    4. No driver found for Wireless: Intel WiFi 5100 (exists only for Vista)
    5. No Atmel TPM found, but found "Trusted Platform Module (TPM)"--is it the same?
    6. The only one for T400, XP Ethernet is: Ethernet-Intel PRO1000 LAN adapter--so I downloaded that.
    7. For Bluetooth, T400, XP, I could only find: Bluetooth Enhanced Data Rate software--so downloaded that.
    8. For Card Reader, T400, XP, I could only find: Card reader driver (Ricoh 4-in-1)--so downloaded that.

I made a partition of 120/ 32 GB. Working on installing XP on second partition right now.

Help with the above 8 will be very much appreciated! Also, should I just follow prompts to install the drivers--anything tricky I should watch out for?

Thanks,

- I
    Product: ThinkPad T400 7417-CTO
    Operating system: Windows XP [downgrading from Vista Home]

Default Re: ThinkPad SuperGuide ... T400 drivers

I have T500 drivers, if any of those would work. Probably not.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IshY View Post
    Arki and others,

I finally got up the nerves (not being too OS savvy and all) to downgrade my T400 from Vista Home to Windows XP Professional and ran into a few snags. I'm following the super guide, but couldn't find the following drivers for T400:

1. No driver for: Modem (exists for Vista only)
    2. No driver found for: System Interface Driver
    3. Not sure which Video driver to pick -- choices seem to be: InterVideo WinDVD player update *OR* InterVideo WinDVD software update
    4. No driver found for Wireless: Intel WiFi 5100 (exists only for Vista)
    5. No Atmel TPM found, but found "Trusted Platform Module (TPM)"--is it the same?
    6. The only one for T400, XP Ethernet is: Ethernet-Intel PRO1000 LAN adapter--so I downloaded that.
    7. For Bluetooth, T400, XP, I could only find: Bluetooth Enhanced Data Rate software--so downloaded that.
    8. For Card Reader, T400, XP, I could only find: Card reader driver (Ricoh 4-in-1)--so downloaded that.

I made a partition of 120/ 32 GB. Working on installing XP on second partition right now.

Help with the above 8 will be very much appreciated! Also, should I just follow prompts to install the drivers--anything tricky I should watch out for?

Thanks,

- I
    Product: ThinkPad T400 7417-CTO
    Operating system: Windows XP [downgrading from Vista Home]
    Hm, should all be there. Here you go,

1. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-70131
    2. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-67228
    3. Those are software updates. WinDVD is a media program. Which video card do you have? ATI/integrated or just integrated?
    4. You might be able to locate the driver via Windows Update.
    5. Yes, same thing.
    6. Correct.
    7. Correct.
    8. Correct.

Hope that helps. As long as you follow my guide, everything should be alright.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast