Quantcast new lenovo x200; broken keyboard? stuck key 5b (windows key)

Closed Thread
    lob
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default new lenovo x200; broken keyboard? stuck key 5b (windows key)

hi everyone, i finally got the lenovo x200 that i ordered a month ago and i notice that as soon as i turned it on on boot screen it said stuck key 5b, and as i go to the net i find out that this means that the windows key(the one next to alt) is constantly press down without me pressing it down, this means that when ever i press L the thing switches back to the login screen, and like various other things are jumbled up. Does anyone else have this problem, what should i do to solve this
    Lenovo X200, P8400, 3 gig DDR3 Pc3-8500 Sierra Wireless 880e WWAN express card

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: new lenovo x200; broken keyboard? stuck key 5b (windows key)

Get a replacement keyboard sent out.
    Thinkpad x200: Win 7 x64, P8400, 4gigs ddr3 (crucial 2x2gig), 80gig Intel X25m G2/64gig Samsung SLC SSD, Intel wifi5100, 9cell, fingerprint reader, BT, NMB keyboard, ultrabase driving HP LP2475w (displayport/dvi)

Guide to adding a bluetooth module in the x200

lob
    Notebook Enthusiast

im not exactly how this is supposed to work, so theyll send you a keyboard free of charge if you call them up and you install it youself? i would b such a pain to send it back to lenovo

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by lob View Post
    im not exactly how this is supposed to work, so theyll send you a keyboard free of charge if you call them up and you install it youself? i would b such a pain to send it back to lenovo
    A keyboard is a user replaceable part, so they will ship one out to you.
    Thinkpad x200: Win 7 x64, P8400, 4gigs ddr3 (crucial 2x2gig), 80gig Intel X25m G2/64gig Samsung SLC SSD, Intel wifi5100, 9cell, fingerprint reader, BT, NMB keyboard, ultrabase driving HP LP2475w (displayport/dvi)

lob
    Notebook Enthusiast

thanks jaredy, ill call up on monday. its pretty disappointing, thinkpads r supposed to have the worlds best keyboards

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by lob View Post
    thanks jaredy, ill call up on monday. its pretty disappointing, thinkpads r supposed to have the worlds best keyboards
    In the mean time you could also try and pop off the windows key and put it back on.

NBR Transmogrifier

Lenovo is pretty good on user replaceable parts. Just call them up, give them your information, and describe the problem. They will overnight a replacement (you may need to give a credit card number to insure it).

When you get the replacement, remove the old keyboard, pop the new one in the x200, and put the old keyboard in the box Lenovo sent you. There should be a prepaid shipping label to return it. They usually use DHL so you can drop it off or schedule a pickup.

This was the process I went through when I had trouble with my DVD/CD-RW on my T40 (stopped reading DVDs) and it could not have been smoother.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jonlumpkin View Post
    Lenovo is pretty good on user replaceable parts. Just call them up, give them your information, and describe the problem. They will overnight a replacement (you may need to give a credit card number to insure it).

When you get the replacement, remove the old keyboard, pop the new one in the x200, and put the old keyboard in the box Lenovo sent you. There should be a prepaid shipping label to return it. They usually use DHL so you can drop it off or schedule a pickup.

This was the process I went through when I had trouble with my DVD/CD-RW on my T40 (stopped reading DVDs) and it could not have been smoother.
    Although since DHL is dissolving their US practices, who knows who they will use .

kc2
    Notebook Enthusiast

I had a similar issue. Letter K fell off within 3 days of use. I phone the US support number and they sent a full keyboard after a week. Bit fiddly to install though
    Vaio P11Z< Vaio TT190 < Lenovo x200 < Vaio TZ90 < Asus S6F < Fujitsu P7010 < Fujitsu P7000 < IBM T21 < HiNote Tough < Dell Lattitude XP < Toshiba 300XL < Sony C1 PictureBook < Toshiba Libretto