Quantcast What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?

exactly as title states: What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?
    Is it a Lenovo program?
    X200 :: P8600 :: 4gb :: OCZ Agility 60gb :: bluetooth :: external USB DVD+-RW :: Thinkpad 802.11b/g :: 6 cell :: W7 64

Technofile Extraordinaire

Default Re: What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?

I believe it deals with how you are connected to a telephone line for networking. You should be able to disable this with no issue as long as you are not using the old-school telephone line modem.

Road Warrior (soon) | Droid X | Phenom 955 Black + 460 GTX SuperEE | Asus EEE PC 1000H (2GB/160GB)
    Asus G2S-B1 (3GB RAM)[RIP...your thermal failure will not be forgotten] | Acer Aspire 1690-DDR1 (still alive)
    Palm Zire 72x2 + TX + Centro

Undervolting Guide by Flipfire

NBR Transmogrifier

Default Re: What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?

Quote Originally Posted by louisssss View Post
    exactly as title states: What is Digital Line Detection and can i disable it from windows startup?
    Is it a Lenovo program?
    It is definitely there for the modem. Officially the modem is an analog device and should only be used with a traditional analog telephone line. Some locations (hotels?, Europe) have digital phone lines. There is a potential for a digital phone line to damage the modem, although I have never seen this happen.

You are probably safe to disable it unless you use the modem at lots of different places on a regular basis. My Thinkpad T40 didn't have this tool and I never fried the modem. I think it is actually unlikely that you would use a digital line in your Thinkpad, because most places with a modern enough infrastructure for digital phone lines also have Ethernet or Wi-Fi so you wouldn't use the modem anyway.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jonlumpkin View Post
    There is a potential for a digital phone line to damage the modem, although I have never seen this happen.
    I've seen it happen many times in olden days. I finally ordered a handful of these and forced them on the group of people I supported threatening them with mayhem if they didn't use them before just blithely plugging their modems into anything that vaguely resembled a phone line.
    Jane
    forum.thinkpads.com / forums.Lenovo.com / forum.NotebookReview.com / forum.TabletPCReview.com / @jloyless
    ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
    I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
    I do not respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.
    I do not work for Lenovo.

Notebook Consultant

i dont plan to EVER use the modem so i disabled it from startup
    X200 :: P8600 :: 4gb :: OCZ Agility 60gb :: bluetooth :: external USB DVD+-RW :: Thinkpad 802.11b/g :: 6 cell :: W7 64

Notebook Deity

yEP, I disabled it to on my T61. Nowadays most hotels have Wi-Fi so I see no point in using the modem unless you will be faxing some documents using the modem. That why the Internet is for anyways.
    Lenovo Thinkpad T61 8897CTO: Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz w/AC MX-2 | G.Skill 4GB RAM | Hitachi 5K500.B 250GB HDD | 14.1" SXGA+ | GMA X3100 | 6-cell Li-Ion Battery | Optimized Windows XP SP3 | Next Thinkpad: Fanless, SSD, USB 3.0 || Past Thinkpads: T42p / T30 / A22e