Quantcast Password Reset and Fingerprint Reader Issues

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Password Reset and Fingerprint Reader Issues

When I set up my new t61 several months ago, I honestly do not remember inputing a typed password. I've just been using the fingerprint reader since then, but because of the following problem, I need to figure out my typed password.

When I put my thinkpad to sleep, it says "please connect fingerprint reader" when it wakes up, and I cannot get logged back on because the fingerprint reader does not work. I then have to force a powerdown and boot it all the way up.

So my two questions are:

1) How do I keep the fingerprint reader from "disconnecting" when I put my computer to sleep?

2) How do I figure out what my password is, or if I even have one? When I go into the "change password" part of the Control Panel, it requires me to type in the old password (which I don't know). Is there a way to authenticate a new typed password by using the fingerprint reader?

Thanks,

Mark

Default Re: Password Reset and Fingerprint Reader Issues

Incidentally, I have a situation relating to the same topic. I forgot my password and therefore can only logon to my laptop using the fingerprint. However, that means my wife or chidlren cannot use the laptop when I'm not around to use my finger.

I need advice on how to add there fingerprints to mine so that they can logon in my absence.

Thanks.

Super Moderator

Although we are not allowed to discuss password removal/change techniques here on NBR, Microsoft has an article on this matter.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

I also have the "please connect fingerprint reader" when it wakes up problem. My X61 Tablet is only a few weeks old and have this issue more often then not. I think I am fully up to date with all drivers and patches. Anyone know if there is a solution to this?

Notebook Consultant

This is prolly a long shot..

I dont have finger print on my laptop. But did anyone look in the Properties of the finger print in the Device Manager. Isnt there an option on there that is similar to a network card's Power Management Tab ??

Notebook Deity

on my x61t they option under biometric in device then touch chip power magment tab to turn off finger printer read allow computer save power that might be what you looking

also do thinkvantage or system update what ever it callede and they new drivers for the finger printer reader
    New Aspire one Sub Notebook
    New Ibm X61T 776295U
    Sold Acer Aspire 5672

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by andyasselin View Post
    on my x61t they option under biometric in device then touch chip power magment tab to turn off finger printer read allow computer save power that might be what you looking

also do thinkvantage or system update what ever it callede and they new drivers for the finger printer reader
    Yes, thats what you should be looking for. It may be a lil diff on Vista (never had it),... check around there i guess..

Notebook Evangelist

Seems pretty stupid that there isn't a swipe finger reset password option “use one's fingerprint to verify identity so as to reset a password”

Trying to setup a network access to another laptop were the owner only ever used their finger to log into their laptop, because the password option failed on initial notebook setup (I guess they could of once they setting up the fingerprint scan option, made recovery disc's and then done a recovery to try again), so now we can't gain access to their laptop because we don't have a password?

Nice going Microsoft!
    Samsung Series 5 550P5C-S02AU 15.6" HD LED Display (1368 x 768), Anti-Reflective, 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.3GHz), NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphics, Optimus™ technolog 2GB/Intel HD 4000, 6GB of RAM, 1TB SATA III HDD 5400RPM