Quantcast Restore IBM Thinkpad to Factory!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Restore IBM Thinkpad to Factory!

Hi Guys!

I know there's a way to restore all IBM computers to factory settings without any discs. I have done it once before, but I forgot how it's done. Does anyonr know? I don't have any discs. None came with it I believe. Anyway.. someone talked me through it over the phone before, but I didn't write it down. Can anyone help?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Restore IBM Thinkpad to Factory!

Restore and Recovery 4.2
    HP Omnibook 800CT Pentium MMX 166Mhz 80MB RAM with PuppyLinux (Just to see if it is still possible!)

Lenovo T61P 6459CTO, t7800 2.6Ghz, WSXGA LG Philips, 4GB RAM, Quadro FX570M, 160G, XPP

I don't have any discs. I know there's a way to do it without them. Please explain if you know!

Super Moderator

Hit the blue button when you boot up your computer at the ThinkPad splash screen. You'll know what to do from there.

Notebook Consultant

ok heres a kinda dumb question, whats the difference between a clean install and this?

Notebook Consultant

That's not a dumb question if you don't know!

A clean install is when you install just the os. In other words if you just buy a retail windows xp cd, pop it in, reformat, and install. It has nothing else except all the regular stuff.

Rescue and recovery will restore your laptop to factory state. It has an image of their default installation with all their software, settings, and drivers already on there.

The reason why many people prefer to perform a clean install when they just received their laptop is because the factory state includes too much bloatware and it slows down the computer and fills up memory.
    Asus V6J | 2 GB DDR667 | 100 GB 7200 | 15.1" SXGA+@100 hz Geforce 7400 550/550
    T61P | 2 GB ddr667 | 100 GB 7200
    14.1" SXGA+ @ 150hz refresh rate
    WaTeF, 150hz on an LCD let alone a laptop LCD..(ty LVDS)

Notebook Consultant

but during RandR does it give you the option to whether install these bloatware or not?

Notebook Evangelist

Yes, 4.2 gives you a selection menu for bloatware.
    Desktop paperweight:
    T61P, T7800 2.6G C2D, 4GB, 15.4 WUXGA TFT Samsung, Quadro FX570M 256M, 160G 7200 Hitachi 7K200 HD, 1G Turbo Mem, Intel Wifi 4965 AGN, Vista32 Biz

Mobility solution:
    X200 Tablet, SL9400, 4GB, Multiview/ Multitouch Samsung WXGA LED w/ Cam, 160G 7200 Hitachi 7K320 HD, Intel Wifi 5300 AGN, Vista64 Biz

Notebook Consultant

ok and using the blue thinkvantage button when you boot up wont let you chose the option to install bloatware or not right?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
    ok and using the blue thinkvantage button when you boot up wont let you chose the option to install bloatware or not right?
    Using the blue button on startup will give you the option to do a custom install, which will present you with a list of preinstalled software and you can decide which ones you want to keep.

For some reason, this is not as good as a clean install per say; I think it may have to do with the fact that it is not a clean wipe of the HDD. That or background services.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast