Quantcast T61p Sleep/Hibernate Problem

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default T61p Sleep/Hibernate Problem

If I put my computer in sleep or hibernate it will wake by itself without touching it at all. This happens after a minute or two with sleep after about fifteen with hibernate. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Super Moderator

Default Re: T61p Sleep/Hibernate Problem

Do you have an external USB devices plugged in? Like a mouse or something?

Notebook Enthusiast

I have a similar problem, I dont use any external devices. I noticed that my fans are on a lot. And when I put to sleep mode the sleep control on the notebook is blinking about 5 sec. I used 2 days without any change after getting this machine , and then I downloaded updates (and also bios update). And than the things have changed.

"sorry for my english"
    T61p
    14.1 SXGA+ | CORE 2 DUO T7500 | FX 570M 128MB | 2GB 667MHZ 2DIMM | 160GB HDD 7200 RPM | WIFI 4965AGN |9 CELL BATTERY |VISTA BUSINESS 32bit

Banned

This can be caused by you having something that is running on a timer or spyware

Notebook Guru

I had a similar problem a few weeks back. I think a combination of bios and driver updates helped but the "wakeonlan" setting really did the trick (I think) for me. I'm mainly using an ethernet network connection for now meaning I'm not sure if a wireless connection would have the same problem or setting I'm about to describe.

Under network connections, you can right click and choose properties for your LAN connection, then see if you have a "configure" choice in your General tab where it says "Connect Using". If so, choose "Configure" and then in the new window, choose the "Power management" tab. I believe I used to have "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" checked. Since doing all the above, including unchecking the "Allow this device.." choice, my sleep/hibernate has worked fine in terms of not waking up when it's not supposed to. I think Hibernation may not work perfect in other respects per some other postings I have read. I mostly use standby.
    T61 / T7500 / Multi-Boot WinXPP-Ubuntu-Win7 / 4gb RAM / LG 15.4 WSXGA / Quadro NVS 140M / Hitachi 320gb 7K320 HD

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad99 View Post
    I had a similar problem a few weeks back. I think a combination of bios and driver updates helped but the "wakeonlan" setting really did the trick (I think) for me. I'm mainly using an ethernet network connection for now meaning I'm not sure if a wireless connection would have the same problem or setting I'm about to describe.

Under network connections, you can right click and choose properties for your LAN connection, then see if you have a "configure" choice in your General tab where it says "Connect Using". If so, choose "Configure" and then in the new window, choose the "Power management" tab. I believe I used to have "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" checked. Since doing all the above, including unchecking the "Allow this device.." choice, my sleep/hibernate has worked fine in terms of not waking up when it's not supposed to. I think Hibernation may not work perfect in other respects per some other postings I have read. I mostly use standby.
    I had noticed that the lights next to my ethernet port were on when I was in sleep or hibernate so I found that suspicious. Even though I have Vista I found a similar option and when I turned it off everything worked and the ethernet lights were no longer on during sleep or hibernate. Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction.

Notebook Guru

Glad to hear of this and thanks for posting your results. If you see any change in the future, please post your results again as this may help others. Perhaps you can describe where the similar Vista option is found for Vista users that may be having a similar issue.
    T61 / T7500 / Multi-Boot WinXPP-Ubuntu-Win7 / 4gb RAM / LG 15.4 WSXGA / Quadro NVS 140M / Hitachi 320gb 7K320 HD