Quantcast T60 Fan Error?

Closed Thread

Thread: T60 Fan Error?

gog

Default T60 Fan Error?

When I tried to boot up my T60 a couple days ago, a Fan Error message appeared and the laptop automatically shut down. This problem continues until today when to my surprise, the laptop boots up fine. Anyone familiar with this problem and know what might cause this. This is fairly new laptop, only 1 month old so I don't think laptop aging is the cause. Should I try to have the laptop service by asking IBM/Lenovo to replace the fan? The laptop works fine now but I keep all the important work related stuffs in the laptop and hate knowing that problem like this might happen again in the future

Default Re: T60 Fan Error?

I am getting this error also on several occasions. Each time the notebook has had some mechanical stress, either a mechanical shock (dropped my bag a few inches to the floor), or in the last case, a thermal shock (left it in a cold vehicle for a few hours). I think the fan is sticking and not starting up.

A sharp rap from my knuckles on the rear of the case near the fan exhaust seems to temporary fix the problem.

Anyone know the part no. of the fan, where to get it, install procedure?

I expect more reliability than this for a unit of this price.

Notebook Evangelist

I think it's better to have a pre-cautionary message that alerts you of the issue then to just run it and ignore that the fan isn't working. Like you said after a reboot it fixes itself, if it is less than a year I would definitely call up Lenovo's tech support and see what they stand on the issue and hopefully provide a fix. So far on my laptop I have not received any errors I couldn't fix. *knocks on wood*
    x61 w/ Core 2 Duo T7500 *Business 64-bit*
    4GB Ram/1GB ITM/4GB Ready Boost

Notebook Evangelist

Usually means the fan is failing or there was something blocking the fan from turning. It will eventually fail though so I would consider calling Lenovo and having it serviced, otherwise one day it will give that same error message at POST and never go beyond that point.
    HP Compaq 8710W
    Vista B 32/64-bit~Intel C2D T7500 2.2GHz~17 WUXGA~Quadro FX 1600M 512MB~4GB RAM~HTS 72K200 200GB 7200RPM~ Blu-Ray Drive ~Intel 4965~BT 2.0 ~8 & 12 cell Li-ion
    ThinkPad Z61M
    Vista B 32-bit~Intel Duo T2500 2.0GHz~15.4 WSXGA+~Radeon X1400 128MB~3GB RAM~Momentus 7200.2 120GB 7200RPM~ Combo Drive ~ThinkPad ABGN~6 cell Li-ion