Quantcast Windows XP Clean Install

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Windows XP Clean Install

Note: For a less overwhelming but just as 100% working clean install guide, please check out the ThinkPad SuperGuide.

Welcome to the Windows XP Clean Install/Downgrade Guide!

I've seen a lot of threads asking how they should do a clean install and what they should do when problems occur. So I've made this thorough guide so everyone can have a stable, clean, and complete installation of Windows XP without any 3rd party software. ThinkVantage applications are considered 3rd party software. This Clean Install Guide can also help with slow boot up times (mine went from 90 seconds to 30 seconds from the moment I press the power button to a usable desktop), BSOD's (Blue-Screens-of-Death), a slow, unstable system, adware, spyware, viruses, and many more problems. The Guide can be used to install XP on any ThinkPad, e.g., T61(p), R61(i/e), X61(s), T60(p), etc.

The guide is somewhat tedious to follow due to its length. Please follow the guide carefully and make sure not to skip anything or else your computer will be incomplete. This guide can also be used as a downgrade from Vista to XP.

Content:
    Author's Note
    Tested Notebook Specifications
    What You Need
    Summary
    STEP ONE: Backup Data
    STEP TWO: Download Drivers
    STEP THREE: Install Windows XP
    STEP FOUR: Install Drivers
    STEP FIVE: Run Windows Update
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Defrag Boot Files
    DVD/Sonic Software
    DISCLAIMER

Author's Note:
    A clean installation of Windows XP can be very intimidating at first, but through my experiences, I found it to be very easy. I know I was very nervous doing my first clean install because it was my first and only laptop. I've searched all the threads on www.notebookreview.com and it seems as though there had to be a trick to performing a clean install on a ThinkPad like installing the audio driver before the chipset driver; I just knew that wasn't right. So now, with this guide, I provide you with straight-forward, no hassle, step-by-step instructions to installing a fresh version of Windows XP on your ThinkPad. I assure you that this guide is 100% stable and contains the most up-to-date links. It took me quite awhile to complete and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

These are the basic specifications of the system I installed Windows XP Professional on:

Computer: ThinkPad T61 w/ integrated webcam
    Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
    Hard Drive: 60GB Hitachi 7200RPM
    Memory: 1GB x2 = 2GB total
    Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    Graphics: nVidia NVS 140M

What you will need to perform a clean installation:

Lenovo/IBM Notebook
    Internet Connection
    Standard Microsoft Windows XP disc w/ Service Pack 2*
    Blank DVDs or CDs (optional, more info in guide)
    USB Flash Drive (optional but recommended)
    About 3.5 Hours of Free Time

*Note: If you don't have an XP disc, an easy and inexpensive way to obtain one is if you are a student of a university/college, go to your IT department and inquire about a purchase. They are usually very cheap, I bought mine for $10. If you are not a student, you could ask a relative or friend who does go to a school to buy you one, then you can pay them back. Usually, the disc will say Student Media Edition but it's essentially the same as XP Professional.

If you are unable to obtain an XP disc with the alternative school method, you can try and create your own bootable XP disc by using this link: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml. If you are using this method, you will need OSFIX 883517US from your SWTOOLS folder to stop the safe-mode issue.

I cannot guarantee that by creating your own bootable XP disc, the clean installation will work. Although, there have been many successful reports.

Summary of what we will be doing:

1. Backup Data.
    2. Download Drivers.
    3. Install Windows XP.
    4. Install Drivers.
    5. Run Windows Update.
    6. Highly Recommended Step
    So basically the whole process is broken down into two parts: preliminary work (steps 1 & 2) and the actual clean installation (steps 3-5). Step 6 is optional.

Now the step-by-step installation:

------------------------------------------------------------

STEP ONE: Backup Data

Prior to the installation, make sure you backup all your user data.

Create Recovery Discs*: Open the start menu and click on Search. Search for all files and folders. Type in "recovery media" (without the quotes) then click on Recovery Media from the results window. Make sure you have either CD or DVD blank discs. For DVD burners, it takes 1 CD and 2 DVDs (CD will be the startup disc). For CD burners, it takes 7-9 CDs counting the startup disc. Follow the on-screen instructions. Once you have created these disc, put them in a safe place. You will not be needing them for this installation, it is just to have so you can delete the hidden recovery partition and use the discs instead.

If you decide not to burn them, that's OK too because you can always recover your system by using the blue ThinkVantage button at startup. The hidden partition size takes up about 6GB. It's your choice if you decide to keep it or not. Personally, I deleted it. Having the recovery discs is also good in case something goes wrong with your Hard Drive and you lose that partition. If you ever decide to revert back to the original factory state (when you first booted up your laptop), use these recovery discs or boot up with the blue ThinkVantage Button.

If you decided to keep the hidden recovery partition and wanted to use it AFTER you performed the clean install, you must reinstall ThinkVantage's Rescue and Recovery software from here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-61432

*NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY MAKE ONE COPY OF THE RECOVERY MEDIA. IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG, YOU HAVE TO RECOVER YOUR SYSTEM USING THE BLUE THINKVANTAGE BUTTON AT STARTUP IN ORDER TO BURN THEM AGAIN.

Backup this folder and the files contained**: C:\SWTOOLS
    (place them on a USB drive or a separate disc)

**RECOMMENDED BUT NOT NECESSARY FOR THIS GUIDE, YOU WILL NEED TO IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE DVD SOFTWARE

Backup the Lenovo Wallpapers***: Found here: c:\windows\web\wallpaper

***OPTIONAL. The wallpapers can also be found in c:\windows. That's where I found mine.

STEP TWO: Download Drivers

Download the drivers while you have an internet connection. It will make your installation safer because you can install all your drivers without an internet connection later. This also allows you to install all your drivers before you activate your Windows XP. Place the following files onto a USB drive or separate disc. It is recommended you create separate folders (name them appropriately) for each driver to make installation easier. YOU ARE DOWNLOADING THESE FILES, NOT INSTALLING THEM YET UNLESS I STATE OTHERWISE SUCH AS THE BIOS AND THE HARD DRIVE FIRMWARE.

Download the two following Intel drivers:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility*: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/

*Also known as the INF Update Utility. Do not download the ZIP Format version. If you are unsure of which laptop chipset to install, use CPU-Z and identify your chipset. No installation required.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP**: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-70477

**The following operating systems are supported:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows XP Home Edition or Professional
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    Windows 2000
    **The following systems are supported:
    - ThinkPad Reserve Edition
    - ThinkPad R60, R60e, R61, R61e, R61i
    - ThinkPad T60, T60p, T61, T61p
    - ThinkPad X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
    - ThinkPad Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t

The next set of drivers come from the following Lenovo Webpages:

Download the appropriate drivers for your Operating System. Keep in mind that some drivers may not pertain to your ThinkPad model. If any of the following drivers do not appear in the download page for your model, then you don't need it.

BIOS Version (not BIOS Utility or BIOS Settings): If you decide to update your BIOS. It is highly recommended you create a BIOS Bootable CD and install it from that. The instructions to create and install are at the bottom of the BIOS download page. DO THIS BEFORE THE CLEAN INSTALLATION. MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS CONNECTED TO AN AC ADAPTER AS WELL AS HAVE A 100% CHARGED BATTERY. REMOVE ANY USB DISKETTE DRIVE OR DOCKING STATION THAT IS ATTACHED BEFORE UPDATING THE BIOS.

THE BIOS AND THE HARD DRIVE FIRMWARE UPDATE ARE NOT NECESSARY. IF YOU ARE WARY OF BIOS UPDATES, THEN I SUGGEST YOU SKIP THESE TWO UPDATES AND CARRY ON WITH THE GUIDE.

Hard Drive Firmware: If you decide to update your hard drive firmware, I recommend updating the hard drive firmware before the clean installation also. The instructions to create and install are at the bottom of the firmware download page. MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE STOCK HARD DRIVE THAT CAME WITH YOUR THINKPAD. DO NOT USE AN EXTERNAL DRIVE. ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS PLUGGED INTO AN AC ADAPTER AND IS USING A 100% BATTERY.

THE BIOS AND THE HARD DRIVE FIRMWARE UPDATE ARE NOT NECESSARY. IF YOU ARE WARY OF BIOS UPDATES, THEN I SUGGEST YOU SKIP THOSE TWO UPDATES AND CARRY ON WITH THE GUIDE.

ACPI Power Management

Video Driver: This may vary. I am using the nVidia 140M driver. Make sure you download the correct driver for your system.

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-68974

Audio Driver

Modem Driver

UltraNav/TrackPoint Driver

UltraNav Utility:
    The X series will not have this to download. Just install the Mouse/TrackPoint driver if you own an X series ThinkPad. You won't be needing it because UltraNav is a combination of the TrackPoint and Touchpad; the X series only has the TrackPoint.

Hotkey Driver

Atmel TPM (Trusted Platform Module)

Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter

Wireless Drivers:
    This also varies depending on the wireless card that you have. Download the correct wireless driver for your system. Mine was the IBM Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter.

Card Reader Driver: This also varies depending on the card reader that you bought with the system. In this case, mine was the Ricoh 4-in-1 card reader driver.

Windows XP Update Module Q909667: You will need this hotfix if you have an integrated webcam. If you don't have one, then ignore this download.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-68107

Also download these if you have them:

Disabling Tool for Intel Turbo Memory Driver: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-68244. This is only needed if you downgraded from Vista w/ Turbo Memory to XP. It will disable Turbo Memory as a missing driver from XP since XP does not support Turbo Memory. If you do not have Turbo Memory, avoid this download.
    Bluetooth Driver: There are two different drivers; Bluetooth Enhanced Data Rate software and Microsoft Bluetooth support. I recommend installing the Bluetooth Enhanced Data first, but if your Bluetooth device still does not work, then install the Microsoft one.
    Integrated Webcam Driver
    Wireless WAN
    Wireless USB
    FingerPrint Reader Software

Author's Recommendations:
    ThinkVantage's Power Manager - It's just labeled "Power Manager"

So in the end, you should have something like this:

STEP THREE: Install Windows XP

So you've done the long process of downloading and organizing all your drivers onto a storage USB Drive or separate disc. Now insert the XP Install disc. Restart. Press F1 when you see the ThinkPad Splash screen. Enter BIOS. Set the following settings in BIOS:

Config > Serial ATA (SATA) > Set AHCI to Compatibility*
    Hit Esc
    Hit Esc again
    Startup > Boot > Move ATAPI CD0 to the topmost spot (1)

Hit F10 to save and exit. The computer restarts.

Upon bootup, hit any key to boot from disc.

*You are setting it to Compatibility mode because in AHCI, the XP CD will not recognize the HDD. Don't worry though, we will switch it to back to AHCI later in the guide.
    I recommend the following sites to guide you through the process of installing Windows XP:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_i..._-_graphic.htm
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp
    http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm
    http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm

STEP FOUR: Install Drivers

So now you're at your desktop feelin' all squeaky and clean.

Before you do anything though, you may have noticed that I wrote down Service Pack 2 as part of the requirements, so before you continue with the guide, please skip ahead and install the drivers for Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter. You need to do this in order to connect to the internet via ethernet. Once that is done, go to Windows Update and download Service Pack 2. After that, please continue with the guide. You do not need to install the driver for Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter because you already did, so skip that part.
    Now this is the most crucial part of this guide:

The instructions to install each driver are located at the bottom of the download page of each driver that you downloaded from the Lenovo Website. The only Lenovo instructions that do not work and should be ignored are the audio, modem, UAA, and integrated camera. In order to compensate, I provided the proper way to install them.

Also, when you double-click on the file you downloaded, usually it will not install. Instead, it will extract itself to your C: Drive. You can install it from there, depending on what the Lenovo instructions say to do.

One last thing, DO NOT INSTALL ACCESS CONNECTIONS! DESPITE WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY, IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR ANYTHING. SO UNLESS YOU NEED/WANT IT, DO NOT INSTALL IT!

Example of where the installation instructions are located(circled in red):

RESTART AFTER EVERY DRIVER INSTALLATION EVEN IF IT DOESN'T PROMPT YOU TO.

--------------------------------------
    INSTALL IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
    --------------------------------------

Intel 3 Series Chipsets

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP
    : Use the alternative procedure that does not need a diskette drive. You will set BIOS back to AHCI during the installation of this driver as stated during the Lenovo installation instructions. Since we've already done steps 1-5, skip to step 6.

ACPI Power Management

Video Driver

Audio Driver
    Modem Driver
    Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio

PROPER WAY TO INSTALL THE AUDIO & MODEM DRIVERS:
    1. Extract the Audio Driver file you downloaded.
    2. Extract the Modem Driver file you downloaded.
    3. Install the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA).
    4. During UAA installation, it will prompt you saying new hardware is found*.
    5. Choose option "No, not this time".
    6. Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".
    7. Choose "Search for the best driver in these locations".
    8. Uncheck all but "Include this location in the search:".
    9. Browse for "c:\drivers\win\audio\smaxwdm\w2k_xp".
    10. After installation of the audio, wait and it will prompt you for the modem driver.
    11. Repeat steps 5-8.
    12. Browse for "c:\drivers\hdamodem\win2kxp".
    13. Hit finish.
    14. Hit finish again to close the UAA window.
    15. You can now follow the Lenovo installation instructions for the modem software.**
    16. Rock out to some awesome tunes.

*There have been reports of the 'new hardware found' window not appearing for some people.

If the window does not appear, you will need uninstall Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio in Device Manager. The location of it is under System Devices. Once it's uninstalled, reboot your computer. Once you're logged back on, you should get the 'new hardware found' window. Continue from step 5. (Thanks jay28!)

If you are still unable to do this. You will have to perform a Windows Update and install audio using that.

**Unfortunately for some reason, the SoundMAX software can't be installed by using the Audio software we downloaded from Lenovo. The other alternative is to look on the internet for a compatible version of SoundMAX. In my opinion, SoundMAX isn't necessary and doesn't provide anything extra that is significant. On the other hand, the Modem software included works fine.
    UltraNav Driver

UltraNav Utility

Hotkey Driver

Atmel TPM (Trusted Platform Module):
    Install this using these instructions:

Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter: There will be two unknown "Ethernet Controller" in your device manager.

Wireless Drivers: Even though it states Access Connections as a requirement, you do not need it.

Card Reader Driver

Also install these if you have them:
    Bluetooth Driver

Integrated Webcam Driver

PROPER WAY TO INSTALL INTEGRATED WEBCAM:

1. Open up Start Menu.
    2. Right Click My Computer.
    3. Click Properties.
    4. Click Hardware Tab.
    5. Click Device Manager.
    6. Expand the Imaging Devices section.
    7. Right-Click USB Video Device
    8. Uninstall the Driver.
    9. Install the Windows XP Update Module Q909667.
    10. Restart.
    11. Now install the Integrated Webcam Driver you downloaded.
    12. If you don't do this as I outlined, your computer will freeze when shutting down.
    Wireless WAN

Wireless USB

FingerPrint Reader Software

Author's Recommendations:
    ThinkVantage's Power Manager

And that's it for the drivers!

IF IN THE END YOU STILL HAVE UNKNOWN ITEMS IN YOUR DEVICE MANAGER, YOU CAN ALWAYS DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZ View Post
    If you have the SWTools folder, burn it onto a disc. In device manager, have it search the disc for the driver.
    Thanks ZaZ!

STEP FIVE: Run Windows Update.

Connect to the internet.
    Activate your Windows XP.
    Run Windows Update and install the preliminary updates.
    Skip SP3 for now and only install the program updates you want (i.e. IE7, WMP11, etc.) because SP3 will take care of the hotfixes.
    Restart when prompted.
    Run Windows Update again.
    Now you can install Service Pack 3.
    Restart.
    Run Windows Update once again and check for any more updates.
    If there is, install them and restart.
    If there isn't, continue following the Guide.
    Unless you absolutely need to, do not download any driver updates under the Hardware category in Windows Updates.

You can now install any programs you want (Firefox, Foxit PDF, Office, etc.). You can also delete the driver installation files you've extracted into your C: drive; you won't be needing them anymore.

Also, if you want the DVD software that came with your system, go into the SWTOOLS folder that you backed up and navigate to the following: SWTOOLS\Apps\DVDPlay\Setup.exe

Run that installation and you'll be all set. It will install InterVideo WinDVD.

If you don't have that file for some reason, just download and use the popular Media Player Classic. No installation is needed and it is my recommended DVD player. Just open it and then File > Open DVD....

If you want the Sonic Software that came with your system, go here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-66042

And if you have Windows Media Player 11 installed, you will also have to install this after: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-67376

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Defrag Boot Files by Command Line.

Not a lot of people know about the following command line, but what it does is defragment your boot files and moves applications to a faster location on your HDD. It can really improve boot time whether you're doing it from a clean install or not. I did it on my desktop computer and it decreased boot time by 43 seconds!

Here are the steps:

1. Click Start.
    2. Then click Run...
    3. Type in "cmd.exe" (without quotes).
    4. Hit the Enter key.

The following window should pop up (yours should look similar):

5. Now type in "defrag c: -b" (without quotes):

6. Hit the Enter key.

DO NOT CLOSE THAT WINDOW YET

7. Now right-click on your taskbar.
    8. Select Task Manager.
    9. Switch over to the Processes tab.
    10. Sort the processes by Image Name by clicking on that column.
    11. Identify these two processes:

NOW WAIT FOR THEM TO DISAPPEAR, IT MAY TAKE AWHILE BUT BE PATIENT.

12. Once they are gone, close Task Manager.
    13. Switch over to the original cmd.exe window.
    14. Type in "exit" (without quotes).
    15. Hit the Enter key and the window will close.
    16. Download JkDefrag. (no installation required to run the program)
    17. Restart into safe mode. (keep tapping F8 while it's booting; select safe mode)
    18. Double click on the "JkDefrag" application (not jkdefragcmd, etc.) and let it finish its process.
    19. Restart and rejoice!

And that's all there is to it. Not so hard was it? Now you have a perfect, fresh, and clean installation of Windows XP on your awesome ThinkPad with all the latest drivers. And please, feel free to ask any questions or post a comment; I check this thread regularly. Thanks for using my guide.

DISCLAIMER:
    It is not my responsility if you follow this guide and your installation does not work. I do not guarantee that this will work for everybody although I am very confident it will. I am in no way associated with Lenovo or NotebookReview.com. This guide was made to assist those who own a Windows XP licence. Please do not duplicate this guide in anyway and/or claim it to be yours. Thank you.

Last edited by Arki; 4th March 2009 at 08:44 PM.

I am the walrus

Default Re: Windows XP Clean Install Guide

Well done.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gerryf19 View Post
    Well done.
    Thank you. I worked hard on it.
    Last edited by Arki; 6th January 2008 at 02:19 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Arkit3kt View Post
    Thank you. I worked hard on it.
    Thanks, I will be doing this soon.

Makes me way more confident with this write up!

Anyone body use this yet?
    T61p/2.2 GHz T7500/Windows XP Pro/15.4 WSXGA/Nvidia Quadro 256MB/2G RAM/100 GB 7200 HD/DVD Recordable 8x Max/Intel Wireless Wi-Fi/9 Cell Battery/Finger Print Reader/Bluetooth/3 yr Depot Warranty
    Purchased: 10/30/07
    ESD: 11/30/07
    Shipped: 11/08/07

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gsrthomas View Post
    Thanks, I will be doing this soon.

Makes me way more confident with this write up!

Anyone body use this yet?
    I've used this guide multiple times. I've tested it and retested it and it works perfectly. I actually wrote it as I was performing the clean install.
    Last edited by Arki; 17th November 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Is it necessary to update your BIOS? Can I skip that section and making the bootable CD?

Also why update the hard drive firmware?
    T61p/2.2 GHz T7500/Windows XP Pro/15.4 WSXGA/Nvidia Quadro 256MB/2G RAM/100 GB 7200 HD/DVD Recordable 8x Max/Intel Wireless Wi-Fi/9 Cell Battery/Finger Print Reader/Bluetooth/3 yr Depot Warranty

Super Moderator

Is it necessary to update your BIOS? Can I skip that section and making the bootable CD?

Also why update the hard drive firmware?
    Sure you can. The BIOS section and the Hard Drive firmware are optional. If your system is running smoothly with the versions you have, then by all means skip that section. I just included it in case anybody wanted a completely up to date system. I'm running both updated versions and it runs perfectly, but it's your choice if you decide to do any.
    Last edited by Arki; 13th December 2007 at 09:46 PM.

Notebook Consultant

What Thinkvantage software do you have installed?

Someone recommended me to download the Power Manager software to get the most out of your battery and the Active Shock Protection for your Hard Drive.

Super Moderator

What Thinkvantage software do you have installed?

Someone recommended me to download the Power Manager software to get the most out of your battery and the Active Shock Protection for your Hard Drive.
    I installed the Power Manager. I like the charge thresholds you can set. I didn't see the need for the Active Shock Protection as I am very careful with my computer. It's quite useful if you choose to have it though.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Arkit3kt View Post
    I installed the Power Manager. I like the charge thresholds you can set. I didn't see the need for the Active Shock Protection as I am very careful with my computer. It's quite useful if you choose to have it though.
    Thanks.

I will try this install in a few weeks. My computer is a few days old and I kind of dont want to do a clean install just yet. I want to get used to it before I attempt this.

Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast