Quantcast Replacing and Calibrating Thinkpad Battery?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Replacing and Calibrating Thinkpad Battery?

Ey guys, I just got a new battery for my T60 and I was wondering if I need to fully charge it before using it. Also, how should I go about calibrating it to ensure better battery life? Should I first fully charge it then drain, then charge again? Thanks in advance!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Replacing and Calibrating Thinkpad Battery?

Charge it to full, run it down, then recharge to full for the first round to ensure that your battery meter reading is correct (eliminating memory effect).

Remove the battery from your notebook if you use your machine on AC power most of the time. Constant charging will shorten your battery life.

Your battery has an average life of 5,000 charge cycles. This again depends on your care for it.

Each unused battery needs to be charged every 6 mth to maintain healthy battery condition.

To calibrate, double-click on the little battery-icon on the bottom-right of your screen. (I am not refering to that battery meter icon.)

Choose the selection which says allowing system to auto-select battery level threshold.
    ThinkPad T61 (7663A21) : " Gold Award " from " HardwareMAG " magazine ( Singapore edition, December 2007, Page 58 ).

MSI VR320 : My leisure companion.

Notebook Deity

Thanks for the response man. But if I set my Thinkpad to not charge until below 85% for example, won't it not charge when turned off, even if the AC adapter is still connected to it? I am thinking of testing it out, but please let me know if any one knows the answer to this. Thanks!

Notebook Consultant

Yes you may.

Also for your information, even if you run on AC power your battery will still drop about 1% to 2% each day. Gradually it will reach your 85% to trigger a charging process.

Hope this answers.
    ThinkPad T61 (7663A21) : " Gold Award " from " HardwareMAG " magazine ( Singapore edition, December 2007, Page 58 ).

MSI VR320 : My leisure companion.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stunner View Post
    Thanks for the response man. But if I set my Thinkpad to not charge until below 85% for example, won't it not charge when turned off, even if the AC adapter is still connected to it? I am thinking of testing it out, but please let me know if any one knows the answer to this. Thanks!
    How can I set my battery charge level to 90%? Currently, my battery is charging to 100%. Will the charging of the battery continue even after it has been charged fully when connected to AC? Is the answer to the previous question true for both when the computer is ON and OFF?
    Thank You
    Dr.Sam
    T61-6459CTO, T7300, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB), 80GB 5400RPM HD, 15.4" WSXGA+ LG Screen, Alps Keyboard, Bluetooth, 1GB Turbo Cache, 4965AGN Wireless, 6-Cell battery.

ThinkPad Facilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Sam Poni View Post
    How can I set my battery charge level to 90%? Currently, my battery is charging to 100%. Will the charging of the battery continue even after it has been charged fully when connected to AC? Is the answer to the previous question true for both when the computer is ON and OFF?
    Thank You
    I have attached a screenshot so you can see how to set your charge level limit to i.e. 90%. In the example shown, I have set it to start charging when below 60% and stop charging at 90%. You will find the page under Power Manager > Battery Information > Battery Maintenance.

As for your other question. The battery cannot be overcharged and destroyed (as you wrote in a different post). There is a mechanism which prevents this. Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent them from overcharging.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    Thinkpad X220i |Thinkpad X201 | Thinkpad X301 | Thinkpad X201 Tablet | Thinkpad X61 Tablet | Thinkpad X61s | Thinkpad X61 | Lenovo IdeaPad S10e | Thinkpad T500 | Thinkpad R500 | Thinkpad X200 | Thinkpad X200s | Thinkpad T60 | ThinkPad T43 | Sony Vaio TT16 | Sony Vaio TZ90 | Dell Latitude D610 | Sony Vaio TR5 | Dell Latitude D600 | Asus M2400N | Toshiba Satellite 2500CDT

ThinkPad Facilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Stunner View Post
    Ey guys, I just got a new battery for my T60 and I was wondering if I need to fully charge it before using it. Also, how should I go about calibrating it to ensure better battery life? Should I first fully charge it then drain, then charge again? Thanks in advance!
    Here's a guide which I think you will find useful. There are many opinions about this matter, but I find the information in the guide to be quite valid.

Notebook Battery Guide

As for calibration/Battery gauge reset, I personally set ThinkVantage Power Manager to notify me when a reset is recommended. In case you don't know where to find it, you can see the ticker box in the screenshot I attached to the previous post.
    Thinkpad X220i |Thinkpad X201 | Thinkpad X301 | Thinkpad X201 Tablet | Thinkpad X61 Tablet | Thinkpad X61s | Thinkpad X61 | Lenovo IdeaPad S10e | Thinkpad T500 | Thinkpad R500 | Thinkpad X200 | Thinkpad X200s | Thinkpad T60 | ThinkPad T43 | Sony Vaio TT16 | Sony Vaio TZ90 | Dell Latitude D610 | Sony Vaio TR5 | Dell Latitude D600 | Asus M2400N | Toshiba Satellite 2500CDT

Notebook Deity

Wow, thanks for the info Jabba! I was looking for a guide like that! So I am going to calibrate my new battery right now... going o charge it to full... run it down, then charge it again. Let me know if there is anything else you think I should do.
    Thanks.

Notebook Consultant

5000 charges? Damn. I thought it was like 300.

Banned

Thanks for the guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast