Quantcast Can I upgrade my t40's processor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Can I upgrade my t40's processor?

Hi Guys. I have a t40 model 2373 with a 1.5 ghz processor. Can I upgade this? I have pretty much given up hope on Lenovo ever shipping my x60 tablet. So now I am thinking of just upgrading from b wireless to intel a/b/g. Doubling my ram and putting an ultrabay battery in my t40. Save myself about 3 large (i ordered a LOT of extras for the x60).

Thanks peeps!

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Can I upgrade my t40's processor?

I don't see why not. You just have to stick to the same generation of pentium m processors.
    ~ Vaio FW | P8400 2.26GHz| 4GB 800MHz RAM | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | DVD±RW | ATI 3470 256MB | 1600x900 XBrite Eco | Atheros BGN | Bluetooth ~

~ Windows 7 RTM 64-Bit ~

~ Zune 120GB | Canon Powershot SX100IS | LG Dare ~

~ Dual-Booting Guide ~ Change your Vista Theme ~ Vaio FW Mini Review ~ Vostro 1710 Mini Review ~

Notebook Enthusiast

You don't even need quite the same generation processor...

There is one main requirement, and that is you get the latest bios and install it. Then your T40 *should* be able to use dothan cpus in addition to the banias cpu it shipped with. Go back through the revision history readme notes for every bios update they've released for your computer, and see if it mentions expanded cpu support.

Curiously enough, I just upgraded my T41p cpu to a Pentium M 755, and documented it here:

http://www.chaosmanorreviews.com/ope...l_20070205.php

I got the cpu on ebay for about $160.

Warning - if you screw it up, you could kill your laptop, and I only have experience with my t41p, not other t40 models. And you definately want the latest bios first otherwise you may end up with a computer that won't even boot and if the bios doesn't recognize the new cpu, it could over-volt it and kill it. So definately get the latest bios first.
    T41p
    2 gig ram
    Upgraded to DL DVD multi-burner
    Upgraded to Pentium M 755 2.0 ghz Dothan!

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank you sir! This gives me some serious info to chew on before I make the decision to do the cpu upgrade. The internet is great!

ZaZ
    Super Model

A faster hard drive will give you a bigger performance bump.

Notebook Enthusiast

Regarding faster hard drives, keep in mind that even a 5400 rpm drive today may be faster than the 60 gig 7200 rpm drives that shipped with the original T4x computers. I just bought a 120 gig 5400 rpm drive for use with the ultrabay slim HD chassis, and it benchmarks significantly faster than the original 60 gig 7200 rpm drive that my T41p came with. So pretty much any hard drive upgrade, even if it's just a larger 5400 rpm drive, ought to give a bit of a speedup.

Still, as pretty much everyone already knows, a fast 7200 rpm drive will typically make the computer *feel* faster no matter what cpu is in there.
    T41p
    2 gig ram

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks again guys. Here are the upgrades I have already done to my t40

100gb Seagate 7200 rpm
    256 additional ram to bring to 512

Here is what I have ordered over the past couple of days:

2915 a/b/g to upgrade from b wireless
    2 gb ram (2 dimms)
    9 cell battery
    ultrabay battery
    and drum roll please...1.7 ghz Dotham processor (to upgrade from 1.5 banias)

After I have broken down the machine and accessed the cpu, is it as easy as just swapping the chips? Other than bios do I need any special heatsink, creams, lotions, water to sprinkle on the mobo? I hear people talk about some kind of blueice or something like that. Do I need any?

Thanks again!

Notebook Enthusiast

Read my article and then see if you have any more questions. I think it covers most of what you're asking about for the cpu swap. It has pictures too, although they're a little under-exposed.

T41p
    2 gig ram

NBR Reviewer

just a quick note is that you may want to look for mini pci-e cards sporting the atheros chipset. They perform much better than the intel ones. I have just ordered a T60 and am waiting for it to arrive in march ~.~...

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by flensr View Post
    Read my article and then see if you have any more questions. I think it covers most of what you're asking about for the cpu swap. It has pictures too, although they're a little under-exposed.

This will DEFINITELY prove to be a helpful article once I receive my chip(s). Based on your post I just purchased the same chip you have (M 755). Did you have to do anything special to make your machine properly utilize the "b" stepping? I have read reports that some of the chips manufactured in and after 2004 require some tweaking to the bios and controller. Otherwise it gets stuck and doesn't maximize its battery saving capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by acaurora View Post
    just a quick note is that you may want to look for mini pci-e cards sporting the atheros chipset. They perform much better than the intel ones. I have just ordered a T60 and am waiting for it to arrive in march ~.~...
    Thank you but which card specifically would you suggest? I think you are referring to the wireless card? Please note that not all of the cards that work in the t60 will work in the t40. I am only saying this for the benefit of those who might read this later. The card I purchased is mini pci intel 2915 a/b/g and has since late last year been reported to now work well in the t series. How did you arive at your opinion?

Thanks to both of you for posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast