Quantcast Is it worth waiting for y410p sli? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vodkaloid

Default Re: Is it worth waiting for y410p sli?

Here are the upgrades i recommend, and NOTHING ELSE:

- 95% Gamut screen (essential for design, but waste of money if for gaming only)
    - Thermal Compound IF AND ONLY IF you are scared of doing it yourself
    - Samsung EVO 840 SSD, size of choice
    - 16 GB RAM, IF AND ONLY IF you absolutely need it. 8GB is fine for 95% of users though.
    - Warranty extensions if you need any, i personally don't.

That's it. Everything else is just a gimmick to buy accessories you can find cheaper elsewhere.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y410p - DIY Desktop - Dell Inspiron 1501

"Nostalgia is possibly the greatest of the lies that we tell ourselves. It is the glossing of the past to fit the sensibilities of the present. For some, it brings a measure of comfort, a sense of self and of source, but others, I fear, take these altered memories too far, and because of that, paralyze themselves to the realities about them."

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jobine702 View Post
    Here are the upgrades i recommend, and NOTHING ELSE:

- 95% Gamut screen (essential for design, but waste of money if for gaming only)
    - Thermal Compound IF AND ONLY IF you are scared of doing it yourself
    - Samsung EVO 840 SSD, size of choice
    - 16 GB RAM, IF AND ONLY IF you absolutely need it. 8GB is fine for 95% of users though.
    - Warranty extensions if you need any, i personally don't.

That's it. Everything else is just a gimmick to buy accessories you can find cheaper elsewhere.
    K, good stuff.

I chose the 120GB Samsung 840 (1300 budget), if I get around to being able to upgrade it in the future, how hard is it to change the main SSD and/or the mSATA?

Vodkaloid

Quote Originally Posted by carterofearth View Post
    K, good stuff.

I chose the 120GB Samsung 840 (1300 budget), if I get around to being able to upgrade it in the future, how hard is it to change the main SSD and/or the mSATA?
    1. Changing the Main SSD/HDD is not too hard, however many people (such as myself) broke a beg on their way on doing it. This laptop is built very snuggly, which is good for build quality but bad for openers. Hence why i recommend buying the SSD from Xotic so they can install it for you.

2. The laptop does not use Msata. It uses M.2 (NGFF), which is PCI-e based and is not currently publicly availible. If you buy some Msata's from Xotic they just ship you a Msata caddy. Theres a reason i said
    NOTHING ELSE

"Nostalgia is possibly the greatest of the lies that we tell ourselves. It is the glossing of the past to fit the sensibilities of the present. For some, it brings a measure of comfort, a sense of self and of source, but others, I fear, take these altered memories too far, and because of that, paralyze themselves to the realities about them."

Titanium

The Y410p @ $810 before taxes with GDDR5 GT 755m w/ quadcore haswell and hd+900 screen is a damn good deal for people looking for a potent gaming machine and has everything you need as a desktop replacement computer. It has an optical drive, card reader, hdmi port, usb 3, backlit keyboard and a decent touchpad and a decent tn screen.
    "There's a thing in my pocket, but it's not one thing, it's many"

Vodkaloid

Quote Originally Posted by Benchmade 42 View Post
    The Y410p @ $810 before taxes with GDDR5 GT 755m w/ quadcore haswell and hd+900 screen is a damn good deal for people looking for a potent gaming machine and has everything you need as a desktop replacement computer. It has an optical drive, card reader, hdmi port, usb 3, backlit keyboard and a decent touchpad and a decent tn screen.
    He's looking for a SLI model. 755M can't run games on ultra, unfortunately, but yes it is a great laptop for the price

And 14 inch is *NOT* a desktop replacement. 14 inch = portable.

Notebook Enthusiast

He's looking for a SLI model. 755M can't run games on ultra, unfortunately, but yes it is a great laptop for the price

IF the 14 inch model had SLI....I'd be all over that lol

Titanium

The term desktop replacement meant that your current laptop can do what a pc tower can so of course it is a desktop replacement, it does not need to be a 15 or 17 to be a desktop replacement. I had an m11x r1 in 2010 and it was my primary pc and it replaced my desktop pc or my G73 at the time.

Lots of people nowadays have their 11-13" laptops as their primary machine and using it as their desktop replacement. See the difference and what I mean now?
    "There's a thing in my pocket, but it's not one thing, it's many"

Vodkaloid

IF the 14 inch model had SLI....I'd be all over that lol
    Yeah. It would have poor battery life though, but that's not really a problem since you can swap the bays

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah. It would have poor battery life though, but that's not really a problem since you can swap the bays
    If I'm not doing any super color intensive graphic work, would you recommend putting that extra $150 in an SSD rather than in the 95% gamut?
    I'd go from 129GB SSD to 250GB SSD with stock screen. Is the stock screen any good?

Vodkaloid

If I'm not doing any super color intensive graphic work, would you recommend putting that extra $150 in an SSD rather than in the 95% gamut?
    I'd go from 129GB SSD to 250GB SSD with stock screen. Is the stock screen any good?
    Stock screen is good for 90% of people. Go with the bigger SSD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12