Quantcast Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 455 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

Notebook Consultant

Default Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

I wasn't sure at first if this model should get it's own thread or if it should get bundled into the existing Y400 thread, but after looking at the past "owners" threads I decided to make one.

I'll post some general info that we have so far, but even Lenovo's site appears to be full of errors so this post and thread will probably be edited and correct as more info becomes available.

Y410P site: IdeaPad Y410p High-Performance 14" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

I ordered the base 1600X900 resolution model (59369921) for $809 via my company's EPP portal and got my ship confirmation tonight. I plan on running some benchmarks (suggestions for which ones) and battery tests. I'll do those stock, but right after I will be replacing the HDD with 240GB SSD, and possibly upgrading the RAM as well.

If you have any questions about the machine, I will try to answer it once I have it. If anyone else has it ordered/shipped, please feel free to post info, comments, first impressions, etc.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

Has the ultrabay graphics been released for it? Also when you get it can you check if it has a msata slot or not? thanks
    New System - Lenovo Y400 | 1366x768 | i7-3630 2.4-3.4GHz 6MB 45W | 2x 650M GT 2GB DDR5 SLI | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | Bullet Proof 4 BP4 SSD SATA III 6G (240GB) | 1TB 5400rpm | Win7 Pro | N2230

Old System - Acer 3820TG | 13.3" (1366 x 768) | I5-480M | HD 6550 | 4GB DDR3 | 500Gig Seagate Momentus XT | 3.9 lbs

Notebook Deity

I found some screenshots on a Thai forum of the base Y410P with the 1366 x 768 screen (Had to rehost the pictures because his host is slow):

TEST Lenovo Y410p HAWELL Intel i7 4700MQ & Geforce GT750M

This model seems to have Optimus enabled but then again, it may be the same as the previous Y400/500 where this function is disabled for the U.S. models in favor of SLI. GPU temperature looks good, but the 4700MQ temperatures are a little lofty, hopefully a thermal repaste can bring it down closer to low to mid-eighties.
    MSi GT60-2OC Intel Core i7 4700MQ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme SSD | 3GB GDDR5 nVidia Geforce GTX 770M | Windows 7 Professional x64
    32GB Motorola Moto X Developer Edition
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Micaiah View Post
    I found some screenshots on a Thai forum of the base Y410P with the 1366 x 768 screen (Had to rehost the pictures because his host is slow):

TEST Lenovo Y410p HAWELL Intel i7 4700MQ & Geforce GT750M

This model seems to have Optimus enabled but then again, it may be the same as the previous Y400/500 where this function is disabled for the U.S. models in favor of SLI. GPU temperature looks good, but the 4700MQ temperatures are a little lofty, hopefully a thermal repaste can bring it down closer to low to mid-eighties.
    Thanks for the info! However, I did not see anything that indicated Optimus is enabled. Keep in mind that just because "switchable" GPUs are present, does not automatically mean Optimus is being used.

Notebook Enthusiast

thanks for info!

Notebook Deity

Sorry guys, that person's image hosting is very slow and it took quite a while for one of the more important screenshots to fully load. I was assuming it would be Optimus since his system was able to show both the Intel IGP and the GT 750M as active display adapters.

I do not recall the Y400/500 having any physical switchable graphics button/function, so I am assuming the notebook is mandating it automatically via Optimus.
    MSi GT60-2OC Intel Core i7 4700MQ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme SSD | 3GB GDDR5 nVidia Geforce GTX 770M | Windows 7 Professional x64

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Micaiah View Post
    Sorry guys, that person's image hosting is very slow and it took quite a while for one of the more important screenshots to fully load. I was assuming it would be Optimus since his system was able to show both the Intel IGP and the GT 750M as active display adapters.

I do not recall the Y400/500 having any physical switchable graphics button/function, so I am assuming the notebook is mandating it automatically via Optimus.
    Yes, I see that it does have the iGPU enabled this time around, Y510P owners have discovered the same thing. What I am saying is just because Lenovo enabled the iGPU for switchable graphics does not mean they are using Optimus.

Here's a good explanation of the difference from the Intel community:

Nvidia Optimus vs switchable graphics misinformation

Here's a link to a Lenovo document regarding "switchable graphics" and Optimus on their Thinkpads.

NVidia Switchable Graphics adapters vs NVidia Optimus Graphics adapters - ThinkPad T410s, W510

I assume the Y410P bios should be similar and that will probably be the easiest way to tell if Optimus is an option or even enabled..

Notebook Deity

Interesting, thank you for the information. I will probably order the base model with the 900p screen as you have done by the end of today as well since all my other options are either not financially sensible or have some sort of issue. For $900 including tax, this notebook seems to be quite a bargain, and I look forward to seeing how we can make this notebook run cooler.

Notebook Enthusiast

Wink Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

I just received my Y410P(900p with 24g SSD cache single 750m model) and I can tell you that the integrated Intel graphics can be turned on manually via the Nvidia control panel>>Manage 3D settings>>Preferred graphics processor. Confirmed working by testing in Diablo 3. Vsync on and caps FPS at 60. 1600x900 all settings on high except for shadows set to medium. Anti aliasing on.
    GT 750m (plugged in): 60 FPS
    GT 750m (battery): 12 FPS
    Intel integrated graphics 20 FPS (regardless if plugged in or on battery, but you have to switch to it manually before you run the game)
    I checked with GPU-Z and it definitely drops GT 750m to 135MHz on battery. Intel graphics stays at 0% gpu load when unplugging charger while running GT 750m. If you start the game with it switched to Intel graphics in the Nvidia control panel then it will put the gpu load on Intel graphics.

Not sure how Optimus works or how to change its settings, but I am relieved that at least games CAN be playable if you use the integrated graphics while on battery power.
    Last edited by dm1user; 11th June 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by dm1user View Post
    I just received my Y410P(900p with 24g SSD cache single 750m model) and I can tell you that the integrated Intel graphics can be turned on manually via the Nvidia control panel>>Manage 3D settings>>Preferred graphics processor. Confirmed working by testing in Diablo 3. Vsync on and caps FPS at 60. 1600x900 all settings on high except for shadows set to medium. Anti aliasing on.
    GT 750m (plugged in): 60 FPS
    GT 750m (battery): 12 FPS
    Intel integrated graphics 20 FPS (regardless if plugged in or on battery, but you have to switch to it manually before you run the game)
    I checked with GPU-Z and it definitely drops GT 750m to 135MHz on battery. Intel graphics stays at 0% gpu load when unplugging charger while running GT 750m. If you start the game with it switched to Intel graphics in the Nvidia control panel then it will put the gpu load on Intel graphics.

Not sure how Optimus works or how to change its settings, but I am relieved that at least games CAN be playable if you use the integrated graphics while on battery power.
    Awesome and congrats! I don't suppose you could post some pics of it? As for Optimus, the link I posted above from Lenovo shows you how to enable it in the bios (if available). I suspect that it's not available, but having the iGPU along with the dGPU is still an improvement over the previous model.

Page 1 of 455 123451151101 ... LastLast