Quantcast How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Default How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

OKR will most likely break if you resize the OS partition. It did for me. If you try to recover with OKR, it will complain that the partition layout changed, and refuse to run.

The solution is to make a new backup image to dump in the recovery partition. If you change the partition size again, you might break OKR again. OKR doesn't like when you shrink the OS partition.

Option A- You resized or clean installed, and still have the 20gb recovery partition intact.

1. boot into OKR by pressing the 'novo' button.
    2. select Onekey recovery option.
    Spoiler :

3. on next screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+O to bring up command prompt.
    4. Now you figure out if all the partitions have the right letters. OKR seems to only work if your OS is on the C drive. Type:
    Code:
    dir c:
    do you see the volume label? It should say "Windows7_OS", or if not, you should see the standard list of folders- program files, Users, Windows, etc.

5. now you figure out what drive letter the recovery partition is. Type each of the following until you see the volume label "LENOVO_PART" and a list of folders that includes EFI, NB, OKRBackup, and OneKey. The letter of your recovery partition depends on how many partitions you have already.
    Code:
    dir d:
    dir e:
    dir f:
    dir g: 
    ....and so on down the alphabet
    6. Change to the lenovo_part partition. If it is the G: drive, just type
    Code:
    g:
    Again, your letter may be different.

7. Go to recovery image tool folder. Type:
    Code:
    cd onekey\osimage
    8. Run OSImage. Type:
    Code:
    osimage /fb
    9. wait for backup to finish. Should take about 25 minutes. You will see "Backup Success ..." message at the end. Ignore any other error messages in the window.
    10. Check backup image. Type:
    Code:
    dir \okrbackup\factory
    You should see OS.okr file with several billion bytes size. Look at the timestamp, it should be a few minutes ago.
    11. Close the command prompt. Now you can either reboot, or test your recovery image. Your choice.

Option B- You wiped your whole drive, including the recovery partition. You have not installed OS yet.

1. Download the OKR setup disc- http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=cmMp2ZC7. Extract with Winrar or similar program.
    2. Burn the iso, then boot from it. You might be able to create a bootable usb drive too with unetbootin. But you can figure that out.
    3. After booting from disc, you see OKR installation options. Choose option 1. (Install OKR Clean Partition)
    Follow the instructions, choose how big your C drive should be, and let it finish making LENOVO_PART partition and installing OKR. It will create a 14gb LENOVO_PART.
    4. Clean install your OS. Configure everything to your liking. install your programs and other crap.
    5. Turn off pc, then press the novo button to boot into recovery. It should automatically start backing up your OS to create the 'initial' image.

You can also download try the updated OKR7 setup disc and follow the prompts. http://paste2.org/p/2245050. Should be foolproof, but it will wipe your entire hard drive and data. So this option is only for completely clean installs.

Option C- 2 hard drive option, or msata ssd+hdd option
    This option keeps the msata ssd and hdd separate. OS is installed on the msata ssd.
    It creates a backup of the OS installed on the ssd, and dumps the backup image on the hdd, so it doesn't take up ssd space.
    OKR button will restore this new backup image.

1. Clean install Windows, drivers, and everything on the msata ssd.

2. Boot computer using OKR button. Run the command prompt as instructed in Option A. On the LENOVO_PART partition, there is another folder called "2hdd". In the 2hdd folder, there is another osimage.ini config file that is slightly different. The objective is to copy this file to the main OSImage folder after backing up the original osimage.ini. Commands....
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    rename osimage.ini osimage.ini.bak
    cd \nb\2hdd
    copy osimage.ini \onekey\osimage\osimage.ini
    3. Now follow Option A instructions to create new backup image.

When backup complete, restore original osimage.ini. Commands:
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    delete osimage.ini
    rename osimage.ini.bak osimage.ini
    Then close command prompt.

You can also download the updated OKR7 setup disc if all else fails. It is configured to handle ssd+hdd setups, but may wipe your whole hard drive-
    http://paste2.org/p/2245050

If you choose, you can reinstall Rapiddrive after you have made a backup image. If Rapiddrive is installed, OKR will not allow you to make a backup image without separating the ssd and hdd first. See Misc 4 below.

Miscellaneous 1
    PTEDIT32 attached below allows you to unhide the LENOVO_PART to retrieve or add files.
    Must be run as administrator.

The LENOVO_PART partition is tagged as type 12. To unhide it, change the type to 07, save changes, and reboot.
    To hide it again, change back to type 12.

Miscellaneous 2
    If Option B fails because the 14gb recovery partition is not big enough, there is another way to setup OKR.
    1. While clean installing, make a "primary" partition as your last partition in the list. Size it big enough. You will convert this to the hidden LENOVO_PARTition later.
    2. install OS on the first partition as usual
    3. after windows is all configured, use PTEDIT32 above, and find the last primary partition you made (PTEDIT will tell you partition size, so it should be easy). Change the type from 07 to 12 to make it a hidden OEM partition. Reboot
    4. Now boot from the OKR setup disc mentioned in Option B. This time, select option 2 (Install OKR Not clean partition). It will convert that hidden OEM partition to LENOVO_PART, and dump all the necessary OKR files on there.
    5. Follow Option A to make a backup.

Miscellaneous 3
    If you want to create a backup image that is factory-like, which prompts you to setup usernames, then you have to run windows sysprep before creating backup image.
    Go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder
    run sysprep with OOBE option, and reboot.
    After reboot, on the username setup screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 to login as Administrator.
    This is when you can clean up the computer, delete User folders, etc.
    Then run sysprep again, OOBE option, and shutdown option.
    Then follow Option A to make backup image.

Miscellaneous 4
    RapidDrive installer if you want to restore ssd cache after Option C-
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS018450

How to reinstall RapidDrive and Windows-
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_IL/rese...12870415982811
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by link626; 8th October 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

This is brilliant thanks a lot. This should be a sticky thread!
    Lenovo Ideapad Y580
    Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor (2.30GHz 6MB) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB | 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080 | 500GB 7200 RPM | Blu-ray/DVD-RW

Notebook Guru

Default Re: How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

Thanks for the great info. Tomorrow I'll receive my non-msata Y580 finally (after a 2 month-wait). Which option do you recommend following? I'm downloading the OKR7 updated setup disc, is it ok? My plan is to backup the driver's folder and reboot with the okr disc and follow the prompts. Thanks for the help!

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

if you use the okr disc, you'll need to backup the drivers folder to usb drive. It will wipe the whole hard drive.

IMO, option A is easiest because it doesn't need a disc. I would try that first.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    if you use the okr disc, you'll need to backup the drivers folder to usb drive. It will wipe the whole hard drive.

IMO, option A is easiest because it doesn't need a disc. I would try that first.
    Thanks for the answer. But if I want a clean install isn't it better to backup the drivers folder and just wipe the whole hard drive using the okr updated setup disc (the one with prompts)? Because if I use the stock recovery partition that came with the laptop maybe someday I'll use the okr function and it will recover to the stock configuration and not the one I want (which is a clean install without the bloatware). Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

no, you don't need to wipe the whole drive.
    when you clean install, you only format the factory C and D drives. the hidden OKR "lenovo_part" partition is the 3rd partition, which you leave alone.
    during the clean install, you can delete the C and D partitions, then resize them to your liking, again, leaving the OKR partition alone.

when you do option A, you overwrite the factory backup image in the okr partition with your custom image, so when you need okr someday, it will restore your custom OS, not stock.

all of this without a disc. Much less trouble. Plus, if you decide to further customize, or you forgot something, you can keep doing option A over and over to dump/overwrite a new backup image to the OKR partition.

Notebook Guru

no, you don't need to wipe the whole drive.
    when you clean install, you only format the factory C and D drives. the hidden OKR "lenovo_part" partition is the 3rd partition, which you leave alone.
    during the clean install, you can delete the C and D partitions, then resize them to your liking, again, leaving the OKR partition alone.

when you do option A, you overwrite the factory backup image in the okr partition with your custom image, so when you need okr someday, it will restore your custom OS, not stock.

all of this without a disc. Much less trouble. Plus, if you decide to further customize, or you forgot something, you can keep doing option A over and over to dump/overwrite a new backup image to the OKR partition.
    Perfect, I understood. haha i've already burned the disc Thanks a lot!

Notebook Guru

Finally received my Y580. When I tried to clean install my OS a prompt appeared: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
    Erased all the partitions (including the LENOVO_PART) and it let me clean install. So I tried with the updated OKR7 setup disc and made the 14 GB Lenovo Part with no problems. But when I reach the clean install part I have the same problem: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." It's like I can't have the Lenovo Partition. What to do? Thanks.

Edit: Finally managed to pass the Partition window. I had to disable UEFI on BIOS to avoid getting that annoying message.
    Last edited by soulkyo; 10th October 2012 at 12:55 AM.

OKR will most likely break if you resize the OS partition. It did for me. If you try to recover with OKR, it will complain that the partition layout changed, and refuse to run.

The solution is to make a new backup image to dump in the recovery partition. If you change the partition size again, you might break OKR again. OKR doesn't like when you shrink the OS partition.

Option A- You resized or clean installed, and still have the 20gb recovery partition intact.

1. boot into OKR by pressing the 'novo' button.
    2. select Onekey recovery option.
    Spoiler :

3. on next screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+O to bring up command prompt.
    4. Now you figure out if all the partitions have the right letters. OKR seems to only work if your OS is on the C drive. Type:
    Code:
    dir c:
    do you see the volume label? It should say "Windows7_OS", or if not, you should see the standard list of folders- program files, Users, Windows, etc.

5. now you figure out what drive letter the recovery partition is. Type each of the following until you see the volume label "LENOVO_PART" and a list of folders that includes EFI, NB, OKRBackup, and OneKey. The letter of your recovery partition depends on how many partitions you have already.
    Code:
    dir d:
    dir e:
    dir f:
    dir g: 
    ....and so on down the alphabet
    6. Change to the lenovo_part partition. If it is the G: drive, just type
    Code:
    g:
    Again, your letter may be different.

7. Go to recovery image tool folder. Type:
    Code:
    cd onekey\osimage
    8. Run OSImage. Type:
    Code:
    osimage /fb
    9. wait for backup to finish. Should take about 25 minutes. You will see "Backup Success ..." message at the end. Ignore any other error messages in the window.
    10. Check backup image. Type:
    Code:
    dir \okrbackup\factory
    You should see OS.okr file with several billion bytes size. Look at the timestamp, it should be a few minutes ago.
    11. Close the command prompt. Now you can either reboot, or test your recovery image. Your choice.

Option B- You wiped your whole drive, including the recovery partition. You have not installed OS yet.

1. Download the OKR setup disc- http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=cmMp2ZC7. Extract with Winrar or similar program.
    2. Burn the iso, then boot from it. You might be able to create a bootable usb drive too with unetbootin. But you can figure that out.
    3. After booting from disc, you see OKR installation options. Choose option 1. (Install OKR Clean Partition)
    Follow the instructions, choose how big your C drive should be, and let it finish making LENOVO_PART partition and installing OKR. It will create a 14gb LENOVO_PART.
    4. Clean install your OS. Configure everything to your liking. install your programs and other crap.
    5. Turn off pc, then press the novo button to boot into recovery. It should automatically start backing up your OS to create the 'initial' image.

You can also download try the updated OKR7 setup disc and follow the prompts. Paste2 - Viewing Paste 2245050. Should be foolproof, but it will wipe your entire hard drive and data. So this option is only for completely clean installs.

Option C- 2 hard drive option, or msata ssd+hdd option
    This option keeps the msata ssd and hdd separate. OS is installed on the msata ssd.
    It creates a backup of the OS installed on the ssd, and dumps the backup image on the hdd, so it doesn't take up ssd space.
    OKR button will restore this new backup image.

1. Clean install Windows, drivers, and everything on the msata ssd.

2. Boot computer using OKR button. Run the command prompt as instructed in Option A. On the LENOVO_PART partition, there is another folder called "2hdd". In the 2hdd folder, there is another osimage.ini config file that is slightly different. The objective is to copy this file to the main OSImage folder after backing up the original osimage.ini. Commands....
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    rename osimage.ini osimage.ini.bak
    cd \nb\2hdd
    copy osimage.ini \onekey\osimage\osimage.ini
    3. Now follow Option A instructions to create new backup image.

When backup complete, restore original osimage.ini. Commands:
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    delete osimage.ini
    rename osimage.ini.bak osimage.ini
    Then close command prompt.

You can also download the updated OKR7 setup disc if all else fails. It is configured to handle ssd+hdd setups, but may wipe your whole hard drive-
    Paste2 - Viewing Paste 2245050

If you choose, you can reinstall Rapiddrive after you have made a backup image. If Rapiddrive is installed, OKR will not allow you to make a backup image without separating the ssd and hdd first. See Misc 4 below.

Miscellaneous 1
    PTEDIT32 attached below allows you to unhide the LENOVO_PART to retrieve or add files.
    Must be run as administrator.

The LENOVO_PART partition is tagged as type 12. To unhide it, change the type to 07, save changes, and reboot.
    To hide it again, change back to type 12.

Miscellaneous 2
    If Option B fails because the 14gb recovery partition is not big enough, there is another way to setup OKR.
    1. While clean installing, make a "primary" partition as your last partition in the list. Size it big enough. You will convert this to the hidden LENOVO_PARTition later.
    2. install OS on the first partition as usual
    3. after windows is all configured, use PTEDIT32 above, and find the last primary partition you made (PTEDIT will tell you partition size, so it should be easy). Change the type from 07 to 12 to make it a hidden OEM partition. Reboot
    4. Now boot from the OKR setup disc mentioned in Option B. This time, select option 2 (Install OKR Not clean partition). It will convert that hidden OEM partition to LENOVO_PART, and dump all the necessary OKR files on there.
    5. Follow Option A to make a backup.

Miscellaneous 3
    If you want to create a backup image that is factory-like, which prompts you to setup usernames, then you have to run windows sysprep before creating backup image.
    Go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder
    run sysprep with OOBE option, and reboot.
    After reboot, on the username setup screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 to login as Administrator.
    This is when you can clean up the computer, delete User folders, etc.
    Then run sysprep again, OOBE option, and shutdown option.
    Then follow Option A to make backup image.

Miscellaneous 4
    RapidDrive installer if you want to restore ssd cache after Option C-
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS018450

How to reinstall RapidDrive and Windows-
    Introduction to reinstalling Windows on the machines built with Rapid Drive

superb........but i m experiencing problems bro......
    Links are totally dead.........can u pls...find me a way out thanks in advance

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

the links are still alive. for both versions too

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast