Quantcast Y580 GTX 660M Missing in Device Manager

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Y580 GTX 660M Missing in Device Manager

Y580 GTX 660M Missing in Device Manager

I kept getting bluescreens for nvlddmkm.sys so I uninstalled and deleted all the Nvidia VGA drivers, with the intention of loading the newest official Nvidia driver from nvidia.com. Now after I downloaded the official Nvidia one it cannot detect my hardware. I tried the Lenovo driver but it too fails. I turned off the machine and let it sit for a minute. I then restarted but it was still missing in the device manager. I scanned for new hardware, but it didn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Y580 GTX 660M Missing in Device Manager

On Y570, there is a hard switch for dedicated GPU to be on or off. Wondering if there is a soft-switch to turn off the GPU on Y580? If there is, perhaps you triggered it? I remember one time on Y570, I had turned off the GPU switch and was pondering for few days where had GPU went to, looked for ages in Device Manager, etc...

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by peteryorkuca View Post
    On Y570, there is a hard switch for dedicated GPU to be on or off. Wondering if there is a soft-switch to turn off the GPU on Y580? If there is, perhaps you triggered it? I remember one time on Y570, I had turned off the GPU switch and was pondering for few days where had GPU went to, looked for ages in Device Manager, etc...
    That would be too coincidential.

I think I just figured it out... I uninstalled the 4000 as well. I will restart and see if that fixed it.

Notebook Enthusiast

Dang same issue. I'm downloading all three possible drivers beta and Lenovo then I'm going to force the GTX 660m in the bios to be on.

Notebook Enthusiast

Update: None of the Lenovo drivers worked for video. I had to do a clean install of Win7 x64 Ultimate (I was planning on it anyways). I finally figured it out. I had to use Windows Update to install the 4000 driver, restart, and then use Nvidia's 304.79 Beta for the 660M.

Notebook Consultant

Wierd problem you had but good thing you figured it out. Try the One Key Recovery to restore to factory if problem comes up again.

Notebook Consultant

Hm...this problem was really weird. But there is some info regarding this driver update on Windows Update. It should be installed before you proceed with nvidia - there is some hot fix. So that could be the problem...this or maybe something went wrong during uninstall.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by peteryorkuca View Post
    Wierd problem you had but good thing you figured it out. Try the One Key Recovery to restore to factory if problem comes up again.
    The One Key Recovery was giving me weird screen issues. Basically it would maximize a black full screen and I could only alt-tab out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draghmar View Post
    Hm...this problem was really weird. But there is some info regarding this driver update on Windows Update. It should be installed before you proceed with nvidia - there is some hot fix. So that could be the problem...this or maybe something went wrong during uninstall.
    I had the same issues after a clean OS install (reformat, no-backup).

So two more issues...

The WLAN and Bluetooth driver downloads are apparently corrupted on lenovo. I tried to download them last night on my laptop via ethernet cable, but I received a the executable is corrupted error message after launching the .exe's. I tried redownloading this morning on my work computer, but I got the same error message.

Notebook Consultant

I did clean install but I used drivers from CD.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Draghmar View Post
    I did clean install but I used drivers from CD.
    Mine didn't come with a drivers cd.

Broadcom Bluetooth Driver for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) €“ IdeaPad Y480, Y580

^ I google searched both filenames and this Bluetooth driver worked. It is for the Y580, but it is a month older than the one listed on Lenovo.com > support > drivers > Y580, and much larger than the corrupted file on their site. I believe the one listed is ~45MB, but this one is 297MB.

Still no luck with the WLAN, but at least that is all that I have left.

EDIT:

Different error message now.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=DS027812

^ That WLAN driver said it does not support my operating system. I am running Win 7 x64 Ultimate and that driver is listed for Win 7 x86/ x64.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast