Quantcast Ideapad Yoga? - Page 55

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ideapad Yoga?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Ideapad Yoga?

The double-sided tape is not adhering the keyboard down after the RAM change. Where can I buy double-sided tape at?

Oh, also, do you guys notice a slight lift on screen's the rubber area between the hinges and the Windows Start button?

Notebook Enthusiast

Question on warranty - anyone notice when their warranty started on the yoga... i just checked my serial number and it says I have 344 days left of my warranty and that it started on Oct 9th 2012.... even though the Yoga wasn't even availble until Oct 27th......

Notebook Consultant

Those who have the Yoga: how would you feel about the Yoga versus an X1 Carbon Touch (if it actually ever materializes)? I could live without IPS, although it certainly is nice. I also could live without tablet convertibility. I think tent mode is neat, but like others have found, I don't know how much it would be used, save for movies or quick presentations, and that still doesn't make that configuration necessary. After the times I have had with the BB demos I have concerns that the Yoga is just not a very robust device - the screen wobbles a lot when touch is required, and I have to think that the special hinges don't help in that respect. So, an X1C Touch seems like a better fit for me, and I could trade the IPS and 360 deg hinge for a stiffer hinge, backlit keyboard, fingerprint power on, and a trackpoint. Of course the Thinkpad would come at a cost premium.

I still really want the Yoga to work for my needs, though, and maybe it does. Perhaps the BB demos have been a bit abused and are not representative of the real feel of the machine.

Okay, so I upgraded the memory on my Yoga from 4gb to 8gb. Had no problems at all, very straight forward.

I also have a 256gb SSD I'd like to add. I'm comfortable with hardware, but have mostly deal with desktops and servers - not often with laptops.

I followed the hardware manual from Lenovo's website but was not able to remove the keyboard bezel. I removed the 15 screws identified in the manual, five on top and 10 on the bottom - but I couldn't get the stupid thing to release. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't figure it out.

Any insights from those who have done the upgrade?

Thanks!

Mitch

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
    Those who have the Yoga: how would you feel about the Yoga versus an X1 Carbon Touch (if it actually ever materializes)? I could live without IPS, although it certainly is nice. I also could live without tablet convertibility. I think tent mode is neat, but like others have found, I don't know how much it would be used, save for movies or quick presentations, and that still doesn't make that configuration necessary. After the times I have had with the BB demos I have concerns that the Yoga is just not a very robust device - the screen wobbles a lot when touch is required, and I have to think that the special hinges don't help in that respect. So, an X1C Touch seems like a better fit for me, and I could trade the IPS and 360 deg hinge for a stiffer hinge, backlit keyboard, fingerprint power on, and a trackpoint. Of course the Thinkpad would come at a cost premium.

I still really want the Yoga to work for my needs, though, and maybe it does. Perhaps the BB demos have been a bit abused and are not representative of the real feel of the machine.
    I have played with the screen at my local BB and dont see any wobble in the hinges. The only time i see movment it is because the Yoga is so light it picks up the base a little.

I would love a X1C touchscreen but it would most likly be exorbitantly expensive and far more then i could justify for my uses.

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop View Post
    The double-sided tape is not adhering the keyboard down after the RAM change. Where can I buy double-sided tape at?

Oh, also, do you guys notice a slight lift on screen's the rubber area between the hinges and the Windows Start button?

you can get some sekisui frag tape on ebay for 99 cents.

or you can go to walmart to get a whole roll.

frag tape is stronger. you only need a small piece to hold a lot.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftster View Post
    I have played with the screen at my local BB and dont see any wobble in the hinges. The only time i see movment it is because the Yoga is so light it picks up the base a little.

I would love a X1C touchscreen but it would most likly be exorbitantly expensive and far more then i could justify for my uses.
    That's good to hear. I can't recall from when I first tried it out on Hayward, but the one at a Best Buy in San Francisco had a pretty sloppy hinge. Every touch caused a noticeable bounce and three straight light touches would leave the screen in an obviously different position. That said, the machine was missing a key, too, so it could have been pretty abused.

Agreed about the x1c touch. Maybe the yoga will get me by.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftster View Post

If you're using the Yoga in "laptop mode", on a flat surface, the screen hardly moves as you mash away at the keys. The screen does have some wobble/rebound if you sporadically tap at it in this configuration, though the clarity and brightness of the screen really makes this wobbling unnoticeable if you're sitting infront of the unit. I've had some onlookers ask about the wobble, and that's the only time I ever noticed it.

Changes are, once you get your initial Win8 touchscreen frills, you'll use touch sparingly in "laptop mode", and when in any other "tablet friendly" mode, the screen will have more support where wobbling won't be an issue.

The only thing I haven't tested yet is using the Yoga in "laptop mode" while on a train or plane. If the screen wobbles a lot then, it could quite quickly become a deal-breaker to any road warriors out there.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjn View Post

The only thing I haven't tested yet is using the Yoga in "laptop mode" while on a train or plane. If the screen wobbles a lot then, it could quite quickly become a deal-breaker to any road warriors out there.
    would definitely like to know the answer to this.

Notebook Consultant

Yet another revision to my Synaptics Touchpad Hack.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55148962/En...2011092012.pdf

v06: Adjust PalmCheck. When you have palm check greater than the 4th tab, it tends to freeze up. This happens especially when you use your thumb to do the left click (not tap), then you quickly resume scrolling, it will freeze up for 1 second, thinking you have your palm over your touchpad. [See slide #13]