Quantcast Ideapad Yoga? - Page 36

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 115 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ideapad Yoga?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Ideapad Yoga?

I got the screw for the second SSD out of an old laptop. I also saw the statement in the manual to not re-use the screws. I highly doubt this will cause a problem. If I could easily source new screws I would but it is not something that worries me much.

Notebook Evangelist

Finally watched the MobileTechReview, I really want one of these in the 256 SSD flavor.

Notebook Enthusiast

yun
    Notebook Deity

Bestbuy is no longer selling YOGA?
    Shipping: Not Available
    Store pick up: None
    Lenovo Yoga IdeaPad Ultrabook 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory YOGA 13 - 59340248 - Best Buy

Notebook Guru

Just added my 256GB drive and 8GB memory stick. All went well except it wouldn't turn on when I put it back together, I hadn't seated the power switch cable tight enough so simple enough to fix. All is well and I seated the keyboard tighter this time, there is a bit of a trick to pushing down in the center of the keyboard while it is sitting a couple mm up from its final position, then sliding it down to its final position. Anyways, all is well. Here are the Windows Experience ratings, I think someone asked for those:

Processor 6.9
    Memory 7.2 (this is with my new Patriot 8GB stick, not sure what it was before - probably the same)
    Graphics 4.6
    Gaming Graphics 6.2
    Primary Hard Disk 7.7

Going to finish transitioning to this computer today to take with me over the weekend while I have lots of work to do, so wish me luck! I might bring my Macbook Pro just in case, but hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Oh, so all told (without taxes since that varies from state to state): $1000 Yoga, $207 256GB mSATA drive, $38 for 8GB memory = $1245. Not too bad. I think I still might pick up the sleeve and possibly a 2nd power adapter.

Notebook Evangelist

Really awesome, thanks to you and John both for testing This for us.

I may go for the 128 crucial msata on Amazon for $100 less.

Notebook Consultant

They don't appear to be selling them online anymore but my local store still has stock (search zip code 84790). Of the 10 stores that come up with my search (NV, AZ, UT), mine is the only one with stock. I'm glad I was able to pick one up. I really like it so far.

Notebook Guru

A couple more notes, the screw needed for the mSATA is a M2x3, I thought I had one (I've been building my own computers for over 20 years) but surprisingly I didn't. I also scavenged one off of an old laptop like John did. If you are thinking of doing this upgrade, I would recommend picking up the screw beforehand.

The screws are "single use" because they have threadlock on them to hold them tight. I've opened my Macbook Pro which uses the same threadlock probably at least 5 times over its 3 years and I've never lost a screw. The threadlock remains on the screw and retains effectiveness, though probably not 100%. If you are at all concerned, you can order threadlocker from Amazon (the Yoga uses blue).

If you are not technical, I highly recommend you skip this upgrade or get someone who is highly technical to do it for you. Like I said, I've been putting together computers for myself and family/friends for over 20 years and I am still uncomfortable inside this machine. The ribbons are delicate and the connector has a lock on it that I hadn't seen before, it took me a little while to figure out how to properly unhook the keyboard and trackpad ribbon cables. I can see someone who isn't patient or careful causing serious damage to these parts. I have always encouraged people to get inside their computers and experiment and upgrade parts, but realize that this computer was not really intended to be user upgradeable and you are risking making a $1000 paperweight. Proceed at your own risk.

Notebook Enthusiast

ok so i have the i7 8gb 128ssd model on order from lenovo and i intend to upgrade the ssd. i was able to get a buisness discount to $1189. do you guys think its worth it for the i7 or should i just get the bb version with the i5 and then upgrade the memory and ssd?
    Also I do not have to have this right now so should I just wait and see if a better version comes out in January?
    P.S. I dont care about the backlit keyboard or the fan.

Notebook Consultant

Hey everyone. I finally got around to creating a walkthrough on how to install the Synaptics driver to enable all the features. I hope this helps everyone out. Feel free to distribute.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55148962/En...2011012012.pdf

If someone can sticky this or host it somewhere, would be great.