Quantcast Lenovo U300s Owners Thread - Page 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lenovo U300s Owners Thread

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Lenovo U300s Owners Thread

I read about Downloads - two-finger-scroll - Two finger gestures for Synaptics TouchPads on Windows - Google Project Hosting in one of the threads this weekend and have bookmarked it for future research. I hear it's pretty good.

Notebook Enthusiast

"Also, what options have people gone for in terms of external/usb ethernet/lan?
    Any tips very welcome!"

This is the only item I added so far, works great.
    And no problems with the laptop.

Amazon.com: Sandisk MicroMate SD / SDHC Memory Card Reader (Static Pack, New, SDDR-113): Electronics

Notebook Enthusiast

So far, my trackpad has been great. Double tap and two finger scroll work as advertised. No issues. I wonder if they upgraded the driver since early November??

I'm using an HP NetBook bag I had for mine. Fits great and holds extras like my iPad charger, biz cards, etc.

Only externals things I've got - USB 3.0 7200 rpm harderive and HDMI cable.

Will be getting a USB SDXC reader shortly for my new camera!

Flex and squeaks were defiitely worse early on. I think it's the support structure underneath. My guess is that there is too much flex without it but I'm not sure it's actually attached to the keyboard and palm rest areas of the U300S. Maybe it's rubbing on those supports. Tough to make something so thin that is strong and to not flex. Just my guess though. Doesn't really bother or concern me.

Jay

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 328is View Post
    "Also, what options have people gone for in terms of external/usb ethernet/lan?
    Any tips very welcome!"
    There are several options listed at Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wired Networking, Network Interface Cards, USB but some of them are too bulky.

I'm a bit of a Startech fan so I would probably get it. I bought the Apple connector (also listed) when I bought my MBA. I rarely use it.

Notebook Evangelist

A curious issue on the trackpad:

I just read Engadget's review of the U400 Lenovo IdeaPad U400 review -- Engadget which mentions that their U300s had a Synaptics touchpad, as supposed to the U400 which has a more error prone Cypress... not that what Engadget says is gospel...

I'm curious about Jay and Buck, other people that have had theirs longer than us newer owners. My 108027u model has a Cypress touchpad (according to device mgr). Cypress 2.3.6.14. What about you guys?

Dan76: Ive got the Synaptics touchpad on mine (i7 grey). It works great for me. Still jealous you have the orange u300s

I am sorry to hear about the one with the messed up screen. I can say that I open mine from the middle, just out of habit, and now will make that a conscious effort. I think that that u300s was a lemon and when you do mass production, some are bound to have problems. I can say that this is the first time I think we have heard of this problem however the point is still valid that one should probably be careful as the ultrabooks are super thin.

The UX31 by Asus does have a rather solid lid and because of its design, you can't open it from the corners. It's so narrow on the taper that you can really only effectively open the UX31 from the middle where it has a bit of a purposeful lip. The UX31's lid does not flex as much or hardly at all as the u300s, however, the other features are not as strong IMHO. I had two UX31 and had to return them both for very poor wireless performance and horrible touchpad issues (much worse than any you all have described here with the u300s).

My review on Amazon has more detail between the two for the gentleman who was trying to decide between the UX31 and u300s. After having owned both, the u300s to me is the superior overall machine. My philosophy is that individual specs are secondary to the overall performance and practicality of a computer. For example, the practicality of being able to fully charge the u300s in less than 30 mins is huge for me. If I am traveling and have a lay over in an airport, I can fully charge this thing in 30 mins and then enjoy it for an entire cross country flight if needed. Another example, I can use the u300s in bed on a pillow when I have to work late into the night, or just watch a movie. The UX31 could not do those things because it can't charge that fast and it gets hot on the bottom. Yet the UX31 has an SD card slot if that is something you really need.

Insofar as the creaks and touchpad physical issues mentioned, I can say that the creaks are present on mine but I have to actually try to make it creak. When I am typing like I am now on it I don't experience any creaks. And honestly, it's not like a creaking door opening that will raise the dead. It's something one may sense but its such a non-issue for me because, you have to try to notice it at least on my u300s.

My touchpad is symmetric on all four corners with no lift or pressure sensitive areas that I can tell. I am assuming that the u300s I got was one of the first batches because I got it direct from the warehouse on October 30th. Perhaps I just got lucky and got one that did not have some of the issues others have mentioned. I do wish I had the orange version however I am by no means complaining about the grey; It is very pleasing to look at it.

We all know that in time, all these products will improve with newer generations. This is the first foray of PC based ultrabooks and having gone through the Asus and Acer models, the u300s is in my humble opinion the best of breed for usability and reliability.

Sorry for the essay I just wrote. I will try to answer questions as best I can for everyone and I hope my comments have helped. It's great seeing this thread grow and thank you Dan76 for being the one who had the idea to start this thread and the others from Amazon who have come here to help current and prospective u300s owners.

Best To All,

Buck

Notebook Enthusiast

They are now on sale on the lenovo site with a 4 week delivery time at a rather hefty price.

Notebook Evangelist

Woah, they are finally up for sale on the Lenovo US site! ...$1899 for the i7 model, ouch!

Buck, thank you for the detailed and thorough information again, I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences. It is interesting that we both have the core i7 model, but I have a cypress touchpad while yours is synaptics. I'd still like to hear what others have and what model it's in. That said, although the two finger scrolling is taking a bit of getting used to, it is working well and my complaints are minimal.

I, for one have no creaking at all. No flex or build quality issues, other than the wierd un-level trackpad (that doesn't cause a problem). I can certainly understand that there will be minor differences off an assembly line. I too am sorry about SneakR and the RMA... hopefully you'll have the new fixed one soon!

Notebook Geek

Mine is a grey i5 and I have the Cypress touchpad.

I noticed that the backup drivers stored on the D drive has drivers for both synaptics and cypress. Why did they not make their minds up on this? The only thing I am missing is a two finger tap on the touchpad. Synaptics have always done a great job at this. Cypress? I have never come across them before

I hope this doesn't become a gripe

Notebook Enthusiast

I7 from Newegg, Synaptics

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast