Quantcast Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread - Page 262

+ Reply to Thread
Page 262 of 303 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 3023
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread

Notebook Evangelist

Suggest getting the 2670qm, if you are a gamer and the 8gb.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by andersra88 View Post
    Anyone figure out how to dual boot Windows7 and Windows8? I am trying to extend the System Reserved partition, but am unable to do so. I believe RapidDrive is interfering somehow.

If anyone was able to do this please let me know how.
    I had to use a third party disk partitioning tool to create a new extended partition after shrinking the partition where my C: drive was located.

However, I'm still trying to figure out how to install the CP on the newly created partition. I told the setup program to install to a flash drive, and now have the CP installed on an SDHC flash card. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way of installing to a new partition other than booting from a dvd or flash drive. If I try to install from the flash drive from within Win 7, it wants to overwrite my Win 7 install even though I told it I wanted to install on another partition. Also, the Y470 does not appear to support booting from an SDHC card, so it looks like i'll need to burn the ISO to dvd instead and try booting and installing the CP that way.

Edit: It worked, Win 8 CP recognized that Win 7 was already installed and created the additional entry in the boot loader, so now I can dual boot. They sure didn't make it easy though. Guess they figure that if you're gonna tinker with a beta product, you should know your way around a computer. Either that or they were just lazy :P
    Last edited by Starcub; 2nd March 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Suggest getting the 2670qm, if you are a gamer and the 8gb.
    So I will notice a difference with bf3 or swtor with the i3 vs the i7? The i3 is super cheap right now refurbished.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but I have to use a screenreader due to medical issues, and reading all past posts would take forever,

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by justincc View Post
    So I will notice a difference with bf3 or swtor with the i3 vs the i7? The i3 is super cheap right now refurbished.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but I have to use a screenreader due to medical issues, and reading all past posts would take forever,
    Newer games with a lot of AI and physics will benefit from the quad core, but not sure if worth hundreds in price difference (probably not). I got my 2670qm version new and with three year warranty, since expect to replace my three year old desk top with it and wanted Bluray.

If this is a secondary computer for you and the i3 can be got on the cheap, harder decision. IMO, go for the i5 if close in refurb price. Be careful though, since some of the 470's sold as refurb have the 520m GPU. That is less than half as powerful for games as the 550.

Added:

I see your point. I would probably go for this for a refurb:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/0855xf7.html
    Last edited by rushmore; 2nd March 2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added "for games"

Notebook Enthusiast

I am interested in running dual 23" monitors off my y470 1920x1080 each. Obviously I can easily run one off the hdmi, I was wondering if anyone had success achieving this with an external video card or something along those lines?

I have noticed the 570 heat trend issue too, but wonder if linked to people overclocking.

BTW, was surprised Lenovo has not made more of a push to place these models in channels like Best Buy, but apparently a margin issue. If Lenovo sold the 470 and 570 through these type of retail channels, the prices would be considerably higher due to the middle man involved. Then again, Best Buy makes their money on warranties, so maybe that is not the answer. Shame consumers are duped into paying more for less features, since most retail consumers are not aware of the 470 and 570.

None the less, good luck finding a 14", 2670QM, 550 level gpu, 8GB, Bluray, great speakers, great cooling system, bluetooth, eSata, mSata and three year on site with accident for $1,050 delivered price from anywhere else but Lenovo.

That combination along with cost does not appear to exist anywhere else.
    You are right, no shop around here can make the same deal. It is just impossible.

Thanks Rushmore, ordered the i3 today, Ill post later with how it runs SWTOR etc

Newer games with a lot of AI and physics will benefit from the quad core, but not sure if worth hundreds in price difference (probably not). I got my 2670qm version new and with three year warranty, since expect to replace my three year old desk top with it and wanted Bluray.

If this is a secondary computer for you and the i3 can be got on the cheap, harder decision. IMO, go for the i5 if close in refurb price. Be careful though, since some of the 470's sold as refurb have the 520m GPU. That is less than half as powerful for games as the 550.

Added:

I see your point. I would probably go for this for a refurb:

Lenovo Outlet - IdeaPad Y470 Refurbished - Discounted Laptops, Cheap Laptops, Refurbished Laptops, Discounted Desktops, Cheap Desktops, Refurbished Desktops
    I am considering this laptop. I have the dm4-3050us right now with i5 2450m, 6gb ram, USB 3.0, 750gb hd, integrated gpu. Got it for $495 after tax and rebate.

I play world of warcraft mostly and have been really wanting a dedicated gpu since I bought the dm4 and I have time left to return it, so my question is, will I really notice a CPU performance loss with the i3? I feel that the i3 might be a more balanced system for my needs, other then gaming on wow, I just open alot of tabs on browsers and do Hulu and netflix.

Thanks, any help would be VERY helpful at this point. I've just like 2-3 days left to return this thing if I decide. Also is refurb something that should concern me? I got my dm4 new, but hp quality isn't up there and I feel like it would fall apart well before this Lenny.

Notebook Guru

I went with the refurbished and can't tell that it is not brand new. I am glad I saved money with the refurbished. As far as the cpu, if you mostly play games the major bottleneck will be the gpu. An i3 is more than capable to do the other tasks you mention but would also recommend swinging for atleast an i5 because it will be alot more future proof and stay current longer with next gen software and games.

Notebook Enthusiast

I have an i3 and have never noticed it struggling to do anything. I've run multiple spreadsheets, multiple video feeds, and plenty of games.