Quantcast New Y460 and Y560 Ideapads - Page 236

+ Reply to Thread
Page 236 of 241 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2403
    MFB
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: New Y460 and Y560 Ideapads

Quote Originally Posted by youknowjack8 View Post
    I agree, the slidenav is useless. i have the program uninstalled, would be great if you can change it. We'll have to look into the hack/tweak er community for this help.
    Old question, rather updated reply. :-) This is working for me, good for changing music but you need to have itunes or wmp focused.

leshcat blog IT Tips & Tricks: Slidenavmedia: override default behavior of Slidenav.

The updated 11.3 ati (installs with Intel HD graphics 8.831.2.0 3/8/2011) and Realtek 2.57 with srs audio package works great as well. SRS really brings in a whole new sound for our lenovo.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by supremekai View Post
    If your using integrated graphics, it will not show the ati card in device manager.

Are you switching using the software or using the switch?

Edit:
    A) check in the bios if the graphics is in switchable mode/discreet mode, try switch between the 2 settings and reboot. (if its in switchable, change it to discreet and check if ATI card is running after reboot. etc)

B) [switch it back to switchable if it isn't already]
    1) download the latest ati driver from lenovo
    Lenovo Support - Drivers & Downloads

2) download/install driver sweeper
    Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

3)uninstall the ati drivers

4) reboot into safe mode (repeatedly press F8 when the laptop is booting)
    choose safe mode in the list

5) run the driver sweeper and check ati driver, click analyize then click clean

6) reboot

7) install lenovo ati drivers, reboot as needed
    guru3d doesnt host the driver sweaper anymore(for a while now, just checked). but you can get it here
    Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper

Hi Everyone, I really need some advice and assistance here.

I purchased a Lenovo Y560 off Amazon at the end of December 2010. I've had to change the battery twice already as the battery keeps depleating rapidly. I've updated all the drivers (including the latest BIOS) but this doesn't seem to be working.

I am using the Lenovo Energy Management program to keep the screen display at a low level. I only use this laptop for internet browsing and Microsoft applications - that is all. No gaming, etc. It's set to the 80% battery life rate (the battery charges to 80%) to increase the lifespan of the battery (as per Lenovo's suggestions). It's also on Super Energy Saver. I'm using all the energy saving options to it's fullest and not running it in a high power state.

I changed the battery twice and only charge it when it's at a critical state. I never leave it plugged in over it's time. The battery would work well for 1.5 months, then it would begin to only last for 30 minutes at a time. I've noticed that when I have plugged in an HDMI cord into my laptop to my TV a few times to watch a movie off Netflix, a few weeks after, is when the battery starts to act up.

Can anyone please offer some suggestions here? Any tests I can do or do you think it's the HDMI cable causing this? When I'm watching a movie off Netflix, the laptop is plugged in for the duration of the movie.

Please help! This laptop is only 4.5 months old

~350

browngirl82- What are the specs of your laptop?
    Lenovo Thinkpad x230 l i5-3210m l Kingston V Series 64Gb 7mm "mod" l 8GB RAM l IPS l 9 Cell

Gaming Rig: BitFenix Prodigy l i5-3470 l AMD Sapphire 7950 l Samsung 830 128Gb and Kingston V+ Series 128 Gb l Dell S2240M

~350

Quote Originally Posted by browngirl82 View Post
    Well, the quad core processors eat up a huge amount of power along with the Ati 5730. I would open up the task manager to see if anything running in the background that might be impacting battery life. Like an anti-virus program, etc.

Just to be clear; What are you doing when you're getting the 30 mins. of battery life?
    Lenovo Thinkpad x230 l i5-3210m l Kingston V Series 64Gb 7mm "mod" l 8GB RAM l IPS l 9 Cell

Gaming Rig: BitFenix Prodigy l i5-3470 l AMD Sapphire 7950 l Samsung 830 128Gb and Kingston V+ Series 128 Gb l Dell S2240M

Quote Originally Posted by AboutThreeFitty View Post
    Well, the quad core processors eat up a huge amount of power along with the Ati 5730. I would open up the task manager to see if anything running in the background that might be impacting battery life. Like an anti-virus program, etc.

Just to be clear; What are you doing when you're getting the 30 mins. of battery life?
    I am only on the Internet browsing and checking email. I don't have McAfee or Norton installed on my computer. Only the Rogers Anti Virus that comes with my Internet. (Rogers doesn't use Norton anymore as their contract expired.)

This rapid decease of battery life happens 1.5 months after I get a new battery from Lenovo. Do you think it's the HDMI that has caused this (i.e. I have the computer plugged into an outlet when watching a movie off netflix)? The HDMI cable is plugged into the TV and the laptop.

~350

Quote Originally Posted by browngirl82 View Post
    I am only on the Internet browsing and checking email. I don't have McAfee or Norton installed on my computer. Only the Rogers Anti Virus that comes with my Internet. (Rogers doesn't use Norton anymore as their contract expired.)

This rapid decease of battery life happens 1.5 months after I get a new battery from Lenovo. Do you think it's the HDMI that has caused this (i.e. I have the computer plugged into an outlet when watching a movie off netflix)? The HDMI cable is plugged into the TV and the laptop.
    That shouldn't have any effect on the battery. If it keeps happening, I would ask Lenovo for a replacement system. I had awful luck with the x100e and after sending in many times, I asked for replacement. You may want to do the same as this isn't normal and something inside the laptop may be faulty. You could send it in for repair, but I doubt they could fix it or find the problem. (Most likely they would just give you another battery.)

Quote Originally Posted by AboutThreeFitty View Post
    That shouldn't have any effect on the battery. If it keeps happening, I would ask Lenovo for a replacement system. I had awful luck with the x100e and after sending in many times, I asked for replacement. You may want to do the same as this isn't normal and something inside the laptop may be faulty. You could send it in for repair, but I doubt they could fix it or find the problem. (Most likely they would just give you another battery.)
    Thank you - they have offered to take the laptop in for repairs but I was against it as I was worried they would damage my computer. I am still under warranty and hope they would be able to replace the entire computer. I'll try that route, thanks.

Notebook Geek

When you set the battery to stop charging at 80%, you should just leave it plugged it, that's what the main purpose of stop charging at 80%. To make the battery last longer in the long term, while still having it pluged in.

Maybe you have some stuff running in the background that uses a lot of cpu/gpu, at 80% full it wouldnt last that long especially with a quad core + discrete gpu.

Well, good luck with the replacement.

Edit: And another thing, don't always charge it when it gets to critical state , this actually ruins the battery life more quickly if you do it all the time.

Edit2: You should uninstall that roger's anti-virus. Heard bad things about it.
    for free anti-virus use, AVG, or Avast.
    for paid use NOD32 or Kaspersky -these 2 are always rated in the top 5 anti-virus.
    Last edited by supremekai; 18th May 2011 at 12:31 PM.