Quantcast DV7 shutting off

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: DV7 shutting off

Must have shut off while you were posting this thread....

Notebook Evangelist

lol, what a weird thing.

Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with my dv7. It shuts off while gaming, and then resets automatically. I get a generic Kernel-Power 41 error in the Event Viewer. I don't know what to do really, all I can tell you is it happens during intensive 3D applications (3 times while playing the Witcher 2) and it takes time, about 2 hours for it to do so. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    HP Pavilion dv7 6100 : i7 2720QM 2.2 GHz | AMD 6770M (Stock) + Intel 3000HD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750GB HDD | 1600x900
    Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude View Post
    lol, what a weird thing.

Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with my dv7. It shuts off while gaming, and then resets automatically. I get a generic Kernel-Power 41 error in the Event Viewer. I don't know what to do really, all I can tell you is it happens during intensive 3D applications (3 times while playing the Witcher 2) and it takes time, about 2 hours for it to do so. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    That sounds like a driver error, since you're playing witcher 2 i'll assume you have a discrete gpu or an apu? Try re installing your video driver, not from hp though go to the manufacturers website.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverZen View Post
    That sounds like a driver error, since you're playing witcher 2 i'll assume you have a discrete gpu or an apu? Try re installing your video driver, not from hp though go to the manufacturers website.
    It's a hybrid graphics system (check specs in my signature) so I can't use any drivers, they have to include the ATI+ the Intel HD chipset ones. Tried Leshcat's ones as well, but they only made it worse (crashed after 10 minutes of starting up a non demanding game).

Now I'm wondering if it may relate to the AC adapter. I'm using a 90W one, dunno if that's enough.
    HP Pavilion dv7 6100 : i7 2720QM 2.2 GHz | AMD 6770M (Stock) + Intel 3000HD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750GB HDD | 1600x900

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude View Post
    It's a hybrid graphics system (check specs in my signature) so I can't use any drivers, they have to include the ATI+ the Intel HD chipset ones. Tried Leshcat's ones as well, but they only made it worse (crashed after 10 minutes of starting up a non demanding game).

Now I'm wondering if it may relate to the AC adapter. I'm using a 90W one, dunno if that's enough.
    Try taking the battery out? Maybe not having to keep the battery topped off while powering the system at the same time will help. If not you might be able to rule it out.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverZen View Post
    Try taking the battery out? Maybe not having to keep the battery topped off while powering the system at the same time will help. If not you might be able to rule it out.
    I never take it outside, so I kept the battery out from day one.

Notebook Guru

Is the ac adapter stock?

Notebook Guru

And it does sound like a voltage issue.

Notebook Evangelist

The one that came with the computer was a 65w one, but it was insufficient (card wouldn't overclock automatically when in 3D intensive applications, which resulted in low performance). Now I'm starting to doubt the 90w is sufficient.