Quantcast Weird "electronic" noise coming from inside my new HP Pavilion G6

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default Weird "electronic" noise coming from inside my new HP Pavilion G6

Bought an HP Pavilion G6, exchanged it because the old one had a defective screen, this one seems pretty good except whenever there's anything happening on the laptop (game, typing, mouse, something installing), there is this weird, faint "electronic" noise coming from somewhere inside the laptop. When idle, it's quiet, but if I do as much as little as move the mouse, the squeaking noise starts again. It sounds similar to a mouse, I guess. Could something be wrong here?

I'll put up a sound file soon.

Also, the fan is always running and pretty audible. When I'm doing something like web browsing, it gets even louder. Is this normal?

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Weird "electronic" noise coming from inside my new HP Pavilion G6

Sounds like its the hard drive working...Is it really loud? Can always try to replace it and see if it still has the noise.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mike5026 View Post
    Sounds like its the hard drive working...Is it really loud? Can always try to replace it and see if it still has the noise.
    I can't remember the last laptop sounding like this. Also, isn't the hard drive located under the mousepad? It seems be coming from under the "QWERTY" section of the keyboard. And I've already replaced the laptop once, I want to make sure this is a legit reason for an exchange before going in again.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BecauseImFD View Post
    I can't remember the last laptop sounding like this. Also, isn't the hard drive located under the mousepad? It seems be coming from under the "QWERTY" section of the keyboard. And I've already replaced the laptop once, I want to make sure this is a legit reason for an exchange before going in again.
    If its by the QWERTY section I would believe it would be the fan. Yeah the hard drive is located by the touchpad.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mike5026 View Post
    If its by the QWERTY section I would believe it would be the fan. Yeah the hard drive is located by the touchpad.
    Ah, it seems something might be wrong with my fan. Opening Firefox or Cyberlink YouCam makes the fan start to speed up and get very loud in a matter of seconds and for lack of better words, very "electronic" sounds come from around there. Is this normal? I have an i3 Pavilion G6 sitting next to me and it's almost completely silent the entire time doing the same thing. The processor wouldn't have an effect on the build, would it? Can I bring the laptop in for replacement because of this or is there some way to fix this?

Notebook Deity

It could just be the CPU working. My E425 does the same thing. When I put my ear up to bottom of the laptop, I can hear the CPU ticking, squeaking, hissing, clicking, processing, whatever you want to call it. It happens even when I scroll the mouse wheel. I can also hear my SSD working, same noise slightly more faint, but usually happens during reads and writes. My old Asus U24E did the same thing. It's not the fan because my fan stops spinning at times and I don't have an HDD or CD spinning. Those are totally different sounds.

Acer Aspire V5-122P-0600
    11.6" 1366x768 IPS AUO, AMD A6-1450, Radeon 8250, Samsung 6 GB 1.35 V, Samsung 830 256 GB SSD
    HP EliteBook 725 G2 J5N82UT
    12.5" 1920x1080 IPS LG, AMD A10-PRO-7350B, Radeon R6, Samsung 16 GB 1.35V, Intel Pro 1500 180 GB SSD
    HP ProBook 6475b
    14.0" 1600x900 TN LG, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7660G, 8 GB 1.50V, Seagate Momentus 320 GB HDD
    RW Motorola Moto X

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    It could just be the CPU working. My E425 does the same thing. When I put my ear up to bottom of the laptop, I can hear the CPU ticking, squeaking, hissing, clicking, processing, whatever you want to call it. It happens even when I scroll the mouse wheel. I can also hear my SSD working, same noise slightly more faint, but usually happens during reads and writes. My old Asus U24E did the same thing. It's not the fan because my fan stops spinning at times and I don't have an HDD or CD spinning. Those are totally different sounds.
    Well the fan makes a totally different noise and it's obvious it's acting up. I can't get it to down at all. Any little activity causes the fan to go 100%. And that squealing processing noise can be heard up to a meter away from the laptop. Really loud when an intensive program (like a game) is running or when the laptop is booting.

Notebook Evangelist
    Silicon Valley - where technology is from

That's CPU whine, no doubt. My Sony VAIO had it so bad, I had to return it. I put in a solid state drive and every time I was in a quiet room I heard this horrible electronic/high-pitched sound coming from where the CPU was and it drove me nuts.

CPU whine is caused by the Intel processor, not HP. But for some reason, some laptops have it louder than others.
    and
    Apple MacBook Pro | 15-inch 2880x1800 Retina display | Core i7 2.3-3.3 GHz | 256 GB SSD | 8 GB RAM

Phone: Apple iPhone 5S - Gold Camera: Fujifilm HS35EXR | Nikon P7100

Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

everything can whine in there, from cpu to mobo. Usually cpu whine is loudest during idle states.
    As a test, go to your control panel Power options and set it to High performance, and see if it still squeaks.

i have both intel and amd laptops, and returned multiple amd laptops in the past, and they all have it to some extent.
    my intel laptop also has usb noise interference when moving the mouse.
    Any component in there can cause cross interference.

if it's faint, same as or quieter than the cpu fan, i'd ignore it.
    or you can try your luck and exchange it again, and again. who knows if you'll get a better one

Sone

Now i read your post again, yes hp fan tend to go weee and get noticeable ~~, caompre to fluuuuu of other laptops I experienced.
    They have a small fan in a small capacity with small exhaust(I think the exhaust is split between top and bottom case thus making more sound then it should ~~)
    Last edited by baii; 5th May 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : Pink 3DASV 16MPCCD IPX5/IPX7