Quantcast dv6-6195ca Wireless Issues?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default dv6-6195ca Wireless Issues?

I recently purchased a 6195ca and it seemed to suffer from wireless card issues after a week or so of ownership. The wireless was extremely slow on the default setting of wireless n enabled. I tried disabling the wireless n and it seemed to solve the issue, but why would i buy a wireless n router, and not take advantage of it?

So i emailed HP Support and they recommended i reinstall the drivers which did not solve the issue. They then recommended i install a BIOS update, which was previously installed automatically by the support assistant software. Reinstalling the BIOS did solve the issue, but now i don't understand how.

Why did reinstalling a previously installed BIOS fix the issue. And even if there is no explanation, will this become a common occurrence of reinstalling the BIOS every time the wireless card plays up? I always thought the BIOS was permanent and did not deteriorate over time and suffer from issues.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: dv6-6195ca Wireless Issues?

Hey i am having the exact same issue... DV6-6100 Intel Wireless N 1030 Horrible Speeds with new Broadband Cisco Modem/Router

I as well have the dv6-6195ca and wireless problems.... The only way i was able to fix it was to either use wireless G or dissable bluetooth completely on the wifi/bluetooth card... Anyways Please tell me what bios version did you reinstall? and what speeds are you getting over the wifi now that it seems to be working?

Notebook Enthusiast

Here is the entire email i received.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

From your E-mail, I understand that the wireless is slow on the Notebook, if you turn on the wireless ‘n’ settings. I also see that the Notebook wireless is fine on wireless g routers, and reinstalling the drivers did not help to fix the same.

I appreciate your patience and efforts to isolate the Notebook’s issue, and I regret that the troubleshooting steps did not fix it.

Daniel, I completely understand your concern about the issue and assure to provide enough information, and I will assist you in the best possible way.

Further, I would like to inform you that the issue might be caused due to incorrect wireless settings or malfunction of internal hardware of the Notebook.

In order to isolate the exact cause of the issue, I would recommend you to perform the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall and Reinstall Wireless drivers:

Note: I would like to inform you that your Notebook is usually bundled with any one of the following wireless drivers (such as Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter/ Realtek / Atheros). Hence, please note the exact wireless driver before performing the steps as you had to re-install the same manufacturer’s driver provided later in the below step.

1. Press Start, hold it and press R. This will show the Run option.

2. Type sysdm.cpl in the open box, and then click OK.

3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager

4. Click "+" beside Network Adapters.

5. Right-click the listed wireless network adapter [Intel] (if listed) and select uninstall.

6. Restart the system.

The program should now be uninstalled from the computer.

On restart, download and reinstall the respective wireless driver which are available in the below web link:

Intel Wireless Drivers, Intel PROSet, and Intel My WiFi for Microsoft Windows 7:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52600.exe

Installation Instructions

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 2: BIOS Update:

Caution: To prevent damage to the computer or an unsuccessful installation, download and install a BIOS update only when the computer is connected to reliable external power using the AC adapter.

Do not download or install a BIOS update while the computer is running on battery power, docked in an optional docking device, or connected to an optional power source.

During the download and installation, follow these instructions:

1. Do not disconnect power from the computer by unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet.

2. Do not shut down the computer or initiate Sleep or Hibernation.

3. Do not insert, remove, connect, or disconnect any device, cable, or cord.

Please download and install the BIOS update from the below website:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54001-54500/sp54024.exe

Note: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid. Copy and paste the entire link in a new browser window.

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the Softpaq.exe file to a directory on your hard drive.

2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

3. Restart the notebook when the installation is complete.

Now check for the issue.

If the issue persists, then I would like to inform you that the issue can be resolved by changing the wireless settings of the network card to either auto or N-only mode.

To do this go to Device Manager->Network Adapters-> Intel Wi-Fi Adapter->Properties->Wireless Mode to Auto or N-only.

Also, please make sure that the security settings on the Wi-Fi router are as follows:

(Reconfigure the wireless connection on the NB with the same settings).

1. Security setting WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.

2. Bandwidth set to Auto (20MHz + 40MHz).

Note: If the connection is not established with the above settings, ask the Cx to enter the encryption password in all Caps.

Now check for the issue.

I believe that the above information would help you. If the issue persists, then get back to us with the observation and results, and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at:

HP - United States | HP Total Care Services | HP Service & Support

Sincerely,

Victor

HP Total Care

Notebook Consultant

Tell HP they need to remove the "WLAN whitelist" from the BIOS so we can install our own, competent wireless cards. The Intel WiFi Link 1000 is terrible, as is the 1030.

Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S03US
    i7-3615qm | GDDR5 GeForce 640M | 900p | 8gb | 750gb 7200rpm | DVD-RAM | Centrino 6235

HP Pavilion dv6t-6100
    i5-2410m | GDDR5 Radeon 6770 | 1080p LP156WF1-TLF3 | 8gb | 640gb 7200rpm | Blu-ray

Notebook Guru

Well I did exactly what that email asks but my problem still exsists HP even sent me another intel 1030 that i swaped out but same thing.

What speeds are you getting over your wifi? Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Notebook Consultant

Ask them to send you a Centrino 6230 for testing................

(probably won't end well because the BIOS might have it blocked. but point at the Service Manual then.)

i7-3615qm | GDDR5 GeForce 640M | 900p | 8gb | 750gb 7200rpm | DVD-RAM | Centrino 6235

HP Pavilion dv6t-6100
    i5-2410m | GDDR5 Radeon 6770 | 1080p LP156WF1-TLF3 | 8gb | 640gb 7200rpm | Blu-ray

Notebook Guru

Anyone with a DV6- with a intel wireless 1030 N w/Built in Bluetooth?,

What speeds are you able to achieve over wireless N while using the bluetooth at the same time (like a bluetooth mouse)????

For some reason it seems i can use the wireless N and Bluetooth connection at the same time, But only on a wifi modem that puts out a 25mb connection or lower.

But when i try to connect to my new 50mb broadband connection I just got at home (DPC3825 Cisco wifi modem) through wireless N and have Bluetooth on, it craps out to less than 1mbps and sometimes completely freezes and gives 0. If i disable the built in Bluetooth on the Intel 1030 N in the device manager it works most of the time and im able to get a 48.5mbps dl but every now and then it seems it messes up and brings a download or upload to turtle speeds or even cuts right out untill i reset the connection.

Using wireless G seems to be the only setting that gives me a constant stable speed without any problems, but is only around 17mbps on my 50mb connection. and moving files around on wireless G network sucks compaired to N... As well I want to be able to use my Razer orochi Bluetooth Mouse....

Ive tryed every different setting as well as everything posted in that email.. Even put in a new 1030 N that HP sent me and all is configured correctly, yet no go...... A HP rep said that the Intel Wireless 1030 N card cant handle using its built in Bluetooth and a high broadband connection (anything over about 25mbps) at the same time. He said the little 2in1 (Bluetooth/Wifi) is just not good enough.

I was hoping that someone out there could confirm this or prove that it actually can on this DV6.. My model is the DV6-6195CA

Lastly what is the best way to request the whitelist be removed?
    Last edited by criskoe; 10th September 2011 at 04:53 AM.

Notebook Consultant

The thing is, I think you're the first person who's ever reported having the Intel WiFi Link 1030. Everyone who custom-ordered in the US got the WiFi Link 1000, even if they selected Bluetooth (it's a separate chip).

What country are you in, when did you buy this laptop, and was it quick-ship or custom order? Do you also happen to know what BIOS version you're running?

Also, can you go to Device Manager (Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), then choose > Network adapters > Intel 1030, then right-click > properties > Details tab, and select "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown menu. Can you post what the Ids are? They should start with "PCI\VEN_...."

HP Pavilion dv6t-6100

Notebook Guru

Hmmm interesting...

Im in canada and i got it at a local best buy about a month ago.. I think its been available here for about 2 months tho.. Only at best buy. HP Canada doesnt even have them available to Canadians yet..

DV6-6196CA | i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz) | 2GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M | 8GB DDR3 System Memory | 750GB Hard Drive | 15.6" diagonal Full HD HP Anti-glare LED Display (1920 x 1080) | Intel Wireless-N 1030

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 ----->HP Part Number 631956-001

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&SUBSYS_53158086&REV_34
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&SUBSYS_53158086
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&CC_0280

Thats whats under the HArdware Ids.

Notebook Enthusiast

Having problems again now. It seems to fluctuate a lot in speed. Sometimes it loads pages instantly, other times it takes several minutes. There does seem to be some sort of interference. Just yesterday i was getting 18mbps, and now im getting 1mbps or less again. I will try get HP to send me a replacement card. Disabling bluetooth does seem to help a bit, but there is obviously issues with the card if it cannot be enabled.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast