Quantcast Does your dvd drive randomly make noise/try to run when empty?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Changing critical battery level? Does your dvd drive randomly make noise/try to run when empty?

I just got an hp paviliion g4 with the new amd llano chip and of course i'm noticing little things that annoy me because that's what i do. Currently the " why is this doing this?" category belongs to my dvd drive, which seems to randomly make noise like it's trying to play a disc even though it's empty, firmly closed, and i'm not accessing a program that would require use of the dvd drive as far as i know. Any idea why this happens? Do your hp pavilions do this too where it just randomly tries to check for a disc?

I reinstalled the drivers too. I have about seven days left to decide if it's worth returning this over.

editing into my first post:

My critical battery level is at 9% and i can't seem to be able to change it, everytime i try it immediately reverts back to 9%. HP support said it has to be 9% because it needs that much power level in order to save data/stand by, but that seems really high. In a different thread for a different hp laptop, someone was able to change the % by plugging it into an outlet, but i tried that and it still wouldn't lower. Can you guys change yours? Is there an easy workaround? I'd like to get it down to 5% just to have more usable battery life.
    Last edited by turtlefoodasaurus; 25th July 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Does your dvd drive randomly make noise/try to run when empty?

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefoodasaurus View Post
    ... Do your hp pavilions do this too where it just randomly tries to check for a disc?
    Yes (dv7teq, 60xx series), but I don't think it is RANDOM. I don't think optical drives know whether they have media... they just attempt to load (spinup and fail). There is nothing unusual or wrong.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohm View Post
    Yes (dv7teq, 60xx series), but I don't think it is RANDOM. I don't think optical drives know whether they have media... they just attempt to load (spinup and fail). There is nothing unusual or wrong.
    Do you know why they do this though? I'm pretty curious, my old dell inspiron never does this and the thinkpad edge e520 didn't either, is it an hp pavilion thing? I know drives spin to check for media after you shut it even if you didn't insert a disc, but i've never seen a laptop before that checked for media when you weren't trying to access anything media related. For instance, it spun when i was moving around power plans and then again when i was browsing neogaf.

Notebook Enthusiast

My new dv6z is doing this too. Nice to know it is not a defect. However, it's not great either. I'm with turtle on this one: never in my experience have I used a laptop where the disc drive makes noises when it's empty.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefoodasaurus View Post
    Do you know why they do this though? I'm pretty curious...
    Was your old computer on Win7? ... I believe(/assume) it may have to do with Intel Rapid Storage Software (but don't quote me however ). On my old XP, it only seems to happen at startup (as I have it listed as the first boot device)

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohm View Post
    Was your old computer on Win7? ... I believe(/assume) it may have to do with Intel Rapid Storage Software (but don't quote me however ). On my old XP, it only seems to happen at startup (as I have it listed as the first boot device)
    my old old laptop that is now used as a desktop dell is windows XP, but the thinkpad e520 was windows 7 professional and i don't THINK it did that or at least not that i could notice.

Yes uggarocka, it's nice to know it's not a "defect" defect, so it eliminates the idea of exchanging it and hoping that the next one doesn't do that. I don't know if it's something HP will address/change with firmware/bios updates or maybe they will tell me to be less picky Xo

I emailed their HP technical support and they gave me a long list of random things to do but i don't think they understood my question since they told me to try reseating the optical drive among other things

Notebook Evangelist

my hp dv5 did that also (Vista). and now my hp dv6 is also doing that but less frequently.
    Acer Aspire V3-571G:Intel i7 3632QM, Nvidia730m(4g.),16g. ram,1TB.HDD.,15.6"(IPS FHD)
    Dell Inspiron 1525:Intel T4200, 2g.ram,160g. HDD
    Acer Extensa 5220 (Sold): intel T7250, 3g. ram, 120g. HDD, 15.4"
    Past (Sold): hp dv6:Intel i7 2630qm, Ati 6770m (1G.),8g.ram, 1 TB. HDD, Blue ray, 15.6"(HD )
    Past (Sold): hp dv5: Intel T5800, Nvidia m9600GT(512 mb.), 4g. ram, 250 g. HDD.,15.4"
    past (dead) : dell inspiron 6400: Intel T7200, Ati x1400, 2g. ram, 120 g. HDD.,15.4"

Notebook Virtuoso

Mine does it every once it a while. It seems to be sometimes doing it when I install something. Maybe it is just looking in the drive for installation software? It doesn't happen all that often, though, so it really isn't a problem.

Notebook Enthusiast

To try to avoid a second thread, i also can't change my critical battery level below 9%, i try to and it reverts to 9% immediately after lowing it. Any tips on how to get it to 5% or so? I read a thread for some other laptop about plugging it in to an outlet then changing it but that didn't work for me. Am i stuck at 9% for life?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by uggarocka View Post
    My new dv6z is doing this too. Nice to know it is not a defect. However, it's not great either. I'm with turtle on this one: never in my experience have I used a laptop where the disc drive makes noises when it's empty.
    Same.
    One time i thought that i had the windows 7 dvd on the drive (because the noise) and i went to my girfriend's house to re-install her laptop's OS, and when i arrived i opened the disc drive and surprise! It was empty!
    Shame on my laziness by not check it on "My computer" lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast