Quantcast What exactly does HP Coolsense do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default What exactly does HP Coolsense do?

Hey, can someone please tell me what coolsense does? I understand that it lowers the temps, but how? Is it underclocking the CPU, turning up the fan., etc? I like the idea of coolsense but not if it sacrifices performance.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: What exactly does HP Coolsense do?

HP CoolSense: Keeping laptops cool | HP Products & Services Videos
    HP CoolSense Technology

I'm sure some of the options include using ATI powerplay, Intel Speedstep and some other technologies such as that, and their vent placement, fan speed and the fact that the laptop is in large part aluminum (which transfers heat pretty well), kind of like a giant heatsink, all to help keep the laptop from running too hot.

EDIT:

Kind of a tongue-in-cheek old style infomercial about Coolsense:
    YouTube - ‪HP CoolSense Technology‬‏

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Beradon View Post
    HP CoolSense: Keeping laptops cool | HP Products & Services Videos
    HP CoolSense Technology

I'm sure some of the options include using ATI powerplay, Intel Speedstep and some other technologies such as that, and their vent placement, fan speed and the fact that the laptop is in large part aluminum (which transfers heat pretty well), kind of like a giant heatsink, all to help keep the laptop from running too hot.

EDIT:

Kind of a tongue-in-cheek old style infomercial about Coolsense:
    YouTube - ‪HP CoolSense Technology‬‏
    I saw both of these videos and they are both very vague and don't explain much

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by brnkcv View Post
    I saw both of these videos and they are both very vague and don't explain much
    I dunno, makes a reasonable amount of sense to me, especially if you watch the third one:

• They moved around components inside the laptop to optimize heat dissipation and cooling in relation to vents and fans..
    • They are using the aluminum of the laptop to help dissipate heat as well, just as I mentioned above, kind of like a giant heatsink.
    • And they rearranged the vents and fans to direct the heat that is produced away from the user to give it an overall cooler 'feel'.
    • The software piece is used to throttle and control fan speeds, and likely things such as Speedstep to control heat production and dissipation

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Beradon View Post
    I dunno, makes a reasonable amount of sense to me, especially if you watch the third one:

• They moved around components inside the laptop to optimize heat dissipation and cooling in relation to vents and fans..
    • They are using the aluminum of the laptop to help dissipate heat as well, just as I mentioned above, kind of like a giant heatsink.
    • And they rearranged the vents and fans to direct the heat that is produced away from the user to give it an overall cooler 'feel'.
    • The software piece is used to throttle and control fan speeds, and likely things such as Speedstep to control heat production and dissipation
    Yes, the hardware aspects were explained. But it does not really explain at all what the software aspect does. It must be some sort of throttling I guess, as you mentioned. I just wish I knew more about the performance hit.

Notebook Evangelist

Yes, the hardware aspects were explained. But it does not really explain at all what the software aspect does. It must be some sort of throttling I guess, as you mentioned. I just wish I knew more about the performance hit.
    Agreed, I didnt get a chance to mess around with it before I returned my dv7tqe to get the higher res screen, but some people still have theirs and should be able to better describe the options.

Notebook Evangelist

basically if you are comparing performance vs coolest modes, at any given temperature, fan speed on coolest would run one level faster than performance mode (unless at max speed already). on top of that, coolest mode disables turbo boost, but does not downclock/throttle the CPU at all. I have not found a way to enable turbo while in coolest mode to keep internal temps down while still have turbo performance.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by teotuf View Post
    basically if you are comparing performance vs coolest modes, at any given temperature, fan speed on coolest would run one level faster than performance mode (unless at max speed already). on top of that, coolest mode disables turbo boost, but does not downclock/throttle the CPU at all. I have not found a way to enable turbo while in coolest mode to keep internal temps down while still have turbo performance.
    Hey, on a quasi related note, is there a setting to keep performance exactly the same on battery as if plugged in. My current dv4, no matter what, take a huge performance hit when unplugged.

Notebook Evangelist

If you disable C1E, EIST/speedstep in the bios, as well as set Windows to Performance mode on battery then you shouldnt take a hit, but your battery will drain like crazy

Notebook Evangelist

Hey, on a quasi related note, is there a setting to keep performance exactly the same on battery as if plugged in. My current dv4, no matter what, take a huge performance hit when unplugged.
    go in advanced power setting and change every single setting to the same.

power options -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast